Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeep_Roots
Stranger
Sterilization by Oven Pot
    #647335 - 05/27/02 08:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Heya, newbie here.

Today I just tried to make my first batch of substrate using the PF-Tek , but seein i don't have a pressure cocker lying around home i had to use the pot method for sterillization. As i was boiling the jars i peaked inside to see what was happening, i noticed a build-up of liquid in the bottom of the jar. Figuring that the added liquid could give rise the chances of contamination, i turned up the heat some.

Was this the right thing to do?

Also, what should my substrate in the jar look like after sterillizing it, and how much moisture should i be able to see?

Finally, after sterillization i'm assume you leave the holes of the jar coverd untill inouculation, is this right?

Thanks for any help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHotDamn

Re: Sterilization by Oven Pot [Re: Deep_Roots]
    #647447 - 05/27/02 09:51 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

if you see water collecting at the bottom of your jars, youve messed up the water formula somewhere...thats really bad news. just how much of a buildup was it? your substrate should be damp to the touch, but never dripping.

OfflineDeep_Roots
Stranger
Re: Sterilization by Oven Pot [Re: HotDamn]
    #647511 - 05/27/02 10:44 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

There wasn't a lot of buildup, there was like a corner with a small amount of substrate liquid. so like i said i turned up the heat and that bit evaporated. I can still see drips of water on the sides of the jar now.so it is nowhere as near soaked as b4, and because it evaporated at the bottom, there is a white crust from the brown rice flour i used.

So what do ya think?

OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
    #647574 - 05/27/02 11:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i don't know where you went wrong.. no harm in trying.
but if that's all you have i'd start over and follow the MMGG it suggests the boiling pot method and that's the basic one i follow. Don't get me wrong.. PF tek is awesome and i hate to get into some verbal disagreement about all the jazz between the two.

that's Magic Mushroom Growers Guide, which of course you can find on this site.

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
    #647641 - 05/27/02 12:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I boil too cause i don't have a pressure cooker. I hate to say it but i would start over.
put aluminum foil over the jar top then put the lid and band on a little loose though don't tighten all the way down. The foil will stop water from going into the jar when boiling. Keep something on the bottom of the pot a rag will work(clean of course) i use some stainless steel wire mess it keeps my jars an inch to 2 inches off the bottom. the benefit to this is the pot holds more water and won't run out as fast and if it does it won't waste my jars.Keep boiling water in contact with jars
Add when nessesary. i have to add after about 20-30 min. but i use a big pot that holds 7 jars at a time. DON'T hit the jars with cold water! they will crack. Add hot tap water but still try not to hit the jars with it the boiling water is still much hotter. Boil for an hour to an hour and 15min. an hour is probably good enough. Water boiling while in contact with jars =sterilization time ie. when you add water and it stops boiling or water has lost contact with your jars don't count this as sterilization time. Wait for it to start boiling again. Then start you timer. This works great for me!! Make your first try your best effort and you will be successful!!
Hope this helps

OfflineDeep_Roots
Stranger
Re: Sterilization by Oven Pot [Re: staindblue]
    #648103 - 05/27/02 04:14 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, I know another prob i did , because i was worried about the jars cracking i put aniother bowl that held the jar in the pot, my theory was the heat above the water would sterilize. Stupid ME

But yeah, thanks for your tips, and I will have to make a new batch of substrate, good then i didn't waste my spores, thanks again

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #648105 - 05/27/02 04:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Your jars shouldn't look different after they are sterilized than they did before they were sterilized!

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation