Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Obama launches 2008 White House bid
    #6466278 - 01/16/07 02:49 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Obama launches 2008 White House bid

WASHINGTON - Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) launched a historic campaign Tuesday to become the first black president of the United States and immediately tried to turn his political inexperience into an asset with voters seeking change.
ADVERTISEMENT

The freshman Illinois senator — and top contender for the Democratic nomination — said the past six years have left the country in a precarious place and he promoted himself as the standard-bearer for a new kind of politics.

"Our leaders in Washington seem incapable of working together in a practical, commonsense way," Obama said in a video posted on his Web site. "Politics has become so bitter and partisan, so gummed up by money and influence, that we can't tackle the big problems that demand solutions. And that's what we have to change first."

Obama filed paperwork forming a presidential exploratory committee that allows him to raise money and put together a campaign structure. He is expected to announce a full-fledged candidacy on Feb. 10 in Springfield, Ill., where he can tap into the legacy of hometown hero Abraham Lincoln.

Obama's soft-spoken appeal on the stump, his unique background, his opposition to the
Iraq war and his fresh face set him apart in a competitive race that also is expected to include front-runner Sen.
Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

Obama has uncommon political talents, drawing adoring crowds even among the studious voters in New Hampshire during a much-hyped visit there last month. His star has risen on the force of his personality and message of hope — helped along by celebrity endorsements from the likes of
Oprah Winfrey, billionaire investor
Warren Buffett and actors Matt Damon and Edward Norton.

"I certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position a year ago," said Obama, who added that as he talked to Americans about a possible presidential campaign, "I've been struck by how hungry we all are for a different kind of politics."

The 45-year-old has few accomplishments on the national stage after serving little more than two years in the Senate. But at a time when many voters say they are unhappy with the direction of the country, a lack of experience in the nation's capital may not be a liability.

"The decisions that have been made in Washington these past six years, and the problems that have been ignored, have put our country in a precarious place," Obama said.

He said people are struggling financially, dependence on foreign oil threatens the environment and national security and "we're still mired in a tragic and costly war that should have never been waged."

Clinton is expected to announce her presidential campaign within days, but her spokesman said there would be no comment on Obama's decision from the Clinton camp. Back from Iraq, she abruptly canceled a Capitol Hill news conference minutes after word of Obama's announcement, citing the unavailability of a New York congressman to participate.

Other Democrats who have announced a campaign or exploratory committee are 2004 vice presidential nominee
John Edwards, former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd and Ohio Rep.
Dennis Kucinich. Sens.
John Kerry of Massachusetts and Joe Biden of Delaware and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson also are considering a run.

Obama's decision was relatively low-key after months of hype, with no speech or media appearance to accompany his online announcement. He said he will discuss a presidential campaign with people around the country before his Feb. 10 event, and he wasted no time calling key activists Tuesday.

New Hampshire lobbyist Jim Demers talked with Obama for about five minutes. "He is extremely pumped and excited that this campaign is coming together," said Demers, who accompanied Obama on his visit to the state last month.

Obama's quick rise to national prominence began with his keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention and his election to the Senate that year. He's written two best-selling autobiographies — "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream" and "Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance."

Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, where his parents met while studying at the University of Hawaii. His father was black and from Kenya; his mother, white and from Wichita, Kan.

Obama's parents divorced when he was two and his father returned to Kenya. His mother later married an Indonesian student and the family moved to Jakarta. Obama returned to Hawaii when he was 10 to live with his maternal grandparents.

He graduated from Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he was the first African-American elected editor of the Harvard Law Review. Obama settled in Chicago, where he joined a law firm, helped local churches establish job training programs and met his future wife, Michelle Robinson. They have two daughters, Malia and Sasha.

In 1996, he was elected to the Illinois state Senate, where he earned a reputation as a consensus-building Democrat who was strongly liberal on social and economic issues, backing gay rights, abortion rights, gun control, universal health care and tax breaks for the poor.

The retirement of Republican Sen. Peter Fitzgerald of Illinois in 2004 drew a raft of candidates to the Democratic primary, but Obama easily outdistanced his competitors. He was virtually assured of victory in the general election when the designated Republican candidate was forced from the race by scandal late in the election.

Obama insisted during the 2004 campaign and through his first year in the Senate that he had no intention of running for president, but by late 2006 his public statements had begun to leave open that possibility.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070116/ap_on_el_pr/obama2008_13

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Obama launches 2008 White House bid [Re: zorbman]
    #6466473 - 01/16/07 04:00 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbdown:

Sure, he is black and talks to Oprah and says some nice things, but he didn't do jack shit while in Congress. He let Dick Durbin fend for himself for two years and voted like a Republican. (I think Barak Obama may actually be a cyborg that is controlled by Alan Keyes.)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Obama launches 2008 White House bid [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #6466623 - 01/16/07 04:38 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

He is mostly a media creation. I don't understand all the fuss about him- he has little charisma and even less experience. I think he'll fade down the stretch after his artificially induced honeymoon is aborted by reality.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #6466771 - 01/16/07 05:14 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
:thumbdown:

Sure, he is black and talks to Oprah and says some nice things, but he didn't do jack shit while in Congress. He let Dick Durbin fend for himself for two years and voted like a Republican. (I think Barak Obama may actually be a cyborg that is controlled by Alan Keyes.)

Dick Durbin is a retard and a plagiarist and any resemblance by Obama to a Republican is clearly hallucinatory.

--------------------

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
    #6467004 - 01/16/07 06:10 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Anyone ever notice he dresses exactly the same as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Obama launches 2008 White House bid [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6467036 - 01/16/07 06:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Dick Durbin is a retard and a plagiarist

Why? Maybe you are thinking of Ben Domenech. I've talked with Dick Durbin and he didn't seem retarded at all, he actually seemed quite quick and witty.

Edited by MushmanTheManic (01/16/07 06:23 PM)

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6467050 - 01/16/07 06:22 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
He is mostly a media creation. I don't understand all the fuss about him- he has little charisma and even less experience. I think he'll fade down the stretch after his artificially induced honeymoon is aborted by reality.

I think it's the Bill Clinton effect. Barak Obama seems to be almost exactly like Bill Clinton politically. He's nice to look at, he's charismatic, and he doesn't do anything unless he's checked the polls first.

When asked direct questions, Obama will even go so far as to say he needs to talk to his constituancy and find out what they would want him to do before giving an answer. (He said this in the Time magazine interview this fall, I apologize, but I don't have the date).

Under Clinton this worked out pretty well. No major steps were taken in any direction, the government kind of left everyone alone for a while (aside from the usual), and the economy kept growing. After his first term, Clinton never really tried to do anything, and everyone was okay with that. I think people are hoping Obama will be the same way.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama launches 2008 White House bid [Re: Economist]
    #6467059 - 01/16/07 06:25 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Mind you, whoever takes office in '08, whether Democrat or Republican, is going to be expected to spend a great deal of time cleaning up Bush's War.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

Re: Obama launches 2008 White House bid [Re: Basilides]
    #6467063 - 01/16/07 06:25 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:
Mind you, whoever takes office in '08 is going to be expected to spend a great deal of time cleaning up Bush's War.

Or, he could do for Iraq what Clinton did for Somalia...

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

#6467072 - 01/16/07 06:28 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Two vastly different scenarios, in my opinion. Somalia is a failed state and a project for the international community, Iraq is in the midst of a civil war to define its very future.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#6467116 - 01/16/07 06:37 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I disagree with his policies, his politics and his disgusting style. I have heard him numerous times on Imus and he is a smarmy prick who doesn't have the nuts to take a stance until he sees which way the wind can blow him the furthest. I thought his crapulous comparison of Gitmo to Hitler, Stalin and PolPot was so hideously out of line and ignorant that he is an utter cunt in my eyes. Plagiarism charges derailed his earlier bid. So, fuck him, I hate him more than the carpetbagger cunt Hilary

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Obama launches 2008 White House bid [Re: Basilides]
    #6467141 - 01/16/07 06:41 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:
Two vastly different scenarios, in my opinion. Somalia is a failed state and a project for the international community, Iraq is in the midst of a civil war to define its very future.

What? "A project for the international community". Weren't they just invaded by Ethiopia to drive out indigenous insurgents? Wouldn't they far more be described as embroiled in a civil war than Iraq? No, not by those afflicted with BDS. And just what the fuck is a "project for the international community"? Are you joking?

--------------------

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

#6467164 - 01/16/07 06:49 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Like... a project. Something that takes a backseat priority alot of the time. We don't really hear much from Somalia.

--------------------

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#6467170 - 01/16/07 06:53 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Richard Durbin has never had a presidential bid or been accused of plagiarism. (Although, George Allen did plagiarize an amendment created by Durbin.) Are you thinking of Biden?

Offlinerubixcubies
porch monkey ferlyfe
Male User Gallery

Loc: ottawa on
    #6467192 - 01/16/07 07:01 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

"When asked direct questions, Obama will even go so far as to say he needs to talk to his constituancy ..."

isnt that how its supposed to work? a government for the people by the people and really the government and congress and all of that are just the tools of the people. i thought that was the whole idea of democracy not the reverse the people are the tools of the government as the bush adminstration seems to think.

--------------------
i'm a very evolved ape you know.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#6470547 - 01/17/07 06:09 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
Richard Durbin has never had a presidential bid or been accused of plagiarism. (Although, George Allen did plagiarize an amendment created by Durbin.) Are you thinking of Biden?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Obama launches 2008 White House bid [Re: rubixcubies]
    #6470575 - 01/17/07 06:14 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rubixcubies said:
"When asked direct questions, Obama will even go so far as to say he needs to talk to his constituancy ..."

isnt that how its supposed to work? a government for the people by the people and really the government and congress and all of that are just the tools of the people. i thought that was the whole idea of democracy not the reverse the people are the tools of the government as the bush adminstration seems to think.

No, it is not. Otherwise we would have billions and billions of referendums on the ballot. We elect people we trust to govern. We select them, they do work, then we decide whether or not we want to keep them. That is how it works.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals