Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineconniekombu
friend

Loc: SE Wisconsin USA
Kombucha Tea
    #6459431 - 01/14/07 05:26 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Interested in conversation about making and drinking Kombucha Tea. I have made and consumed it for over a year and feel I can share valuable information.
THANKS!

--------------------
"Kombucha - Mushroom of Immortality"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: conniekombu]
    #6459518 - 01/14/07 05:53 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

so what are you waiting for? tell us show us teach us

--------------------
buh

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #6460554 - 01/14/07 10:11 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, let us know how it has helped you :grin:

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #6460589 - 01/14/07 10:20 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

THE KOMBUCHA MUSHROOM PEOPLE SITTING AROUND ALL DAY

--------------------
]

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: Wysefool]
    #6460999 - 01/15/07 02:01 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I have seen this about a lot lately. Is it any good?

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: thallus]
    #6461149 - 01/15/07 03:47 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I heard it might actually be bad for you but not from any official source

--------------------
]

Offlinejlocke85
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: MI
Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: Wysefool]
    #6461188 - 01/15/07 04:47 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I think the claims I've heard of it being bad for you were in reference to people who got sick from drinking from contaminated cultures. Of course, kombucha isn't a fungus of any sort, and a symbiosis of bacteria and yeasts.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: jlocke85]
    #6461204 - 01/15/07 05:00 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

symbiosis of bacteria and yeasts

Yep, the kombucha has ascetic acid in it, the same as vinegar, and the floating island culture looks very similar to mother of vinegar.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: falcon]
    #6461278 - 01/15/07 05:59 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Mrs Rabbit grew it for years. Her father, a medical doctor in the Soviet Union had a culture the whole time she was growing up. He swore by it, but I noticed about once a month mrs rabbit would get horribly sick for a day or two, then be fine. I looked at her kambucha under the microscope and freaked out. That stuff is loaded with bacteria and other nasty stuff I can't even describe. When she stopped growing/drinking it, her '24 hour flu' episodes went away. She was getting food poisoning from the stuff.

If you'll search the old posts, you'll see that a couple of years ago I was sending out a lot of kambucha cultures. Once I saw what it actually was, I tossed them out. When the cultures go bad, they don't stink or otherwise give an indication. If you want beneficial bacteria, drink buttermilk or eat yogurt.

Just so people know, kambucha is not a mushroom, nor is it even fungi.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineconniekombu
friend

Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: eris]
    #6461316 - 01/15/07 06:27 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Hello:
I have read so much good about KOMBUCHA that I really feel compelled to share. My Chiropractor first introduced it to me about a year and a half ago. He is a Kinesiologist here in Wisconsin. I first researched it for about a month. Ordered my first "baby" online and got started. Tastes GREAT, kinda like a mixture of wine, applecider. It can be fizzy if made right, very thirst quenching, you tend to want to drink more than is required. It does have a bit of alcohol in it. All negative facts online are not to concern you, they all have to do with over consumption and improper brewing. Cleanliness is the first concern, if you are clean and use the correct equipment your off the a great start. This tea tends to protect itself because of its PH and the colonies growing in it. The first thing I noticed is I started dreaming, yes dreaming......funny thing is my husband also started dreaming around the same tima as I did. Dr. said we were just falling into a deeper sleep from drinking the tea. The tea has claims of doing some pretty impressive things, buts its basics........digestion....depending on your ailments......your gonna get results, everyone is different. Energy....just feeling GOOD! It costs almost nothing to make, one gallon takes ....pure water.....6 teabags (black & Green) organic suger 1 1/3 cups and a Kombucha baby. I am going to include a link to the BEST KOMBUCHA SITE I have found. http://www.kombuchaamerica.com/ also the original Kombucha mans site (Gunther Frank) http://www.kombu.de/anleit-e.htm. Hope you all enjoy this information. Picture is of my finished tea.

--------------------

Offlineconniekombu
friend

#6461330 - 01/15/07 06:38 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Compostion of Kombucha:

Various Enzymes

Acetic acid - detoxifier

Carbonic acid - presents in blood aids in CO2 release and regulation of blood pH levels.

Folic Acid - a B vitamin, works with vitamin B12 in reducing homocysteine, a risk factor for heart disease. Supplementation may prevent, correct deficiencies caused by, or be helpful with, Aging, Cancer, Crohn's disease, Heart disease (atherosclerosis & hypercholesterolemia), Immunodepression (including AIDS & CFIDS), Memory loss (including Alzheimer's disease), Osteoporosis, Periodontal disease.

Gluconic acid - acts as a food preservative and is a product of the breakdown of glucose.

Glucuronic acid - Vital to detoxification of the body also produced by the healthy human liver. A precursor for mucopolysaccharide which helps in the prevention of the aging of skin tissue. There is a scientific dispute as to wheter or not Kombucha contains this acid or its precusors. Trying to understand this debate and who is right or wrong will give you a headache.

L(+) Lactic acid - detoxifier, assist blood circulation, helps prevent bowel decay and constipation. Aids in balancing acids and alkaline in the body and believed to help in the prevention of cancer by helping to regulate blood pH levels.

Usnic acid - inhibits viruses an anti-bacterial agent.

Amino acids (various) - anti-aging properties, aids in the body's production of Growth Hormone (GH). Hydroxy acids (various)

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) - believed to aid in the prevention of arthritic conditions, atherosclerosis, cancer, free radical damage, skin aging, stroke, brain cell aging, and a immune system stimulant

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) - believed to aid in the prevention of allergies, arthritic conditions.

Vitamin B3 (Niacin, niacinamide) - believed to aid in prevention of arthritic conditions, hair loss and free radical damage. Aids in healing of skin tissue. Promotes sexual excitation and stamina, also used as a tranquilizer substitute in high doses.

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) - believed to aid in the prevention of atherosclerosis, free radical damage, obesity, rheumatism, stroke, and promotes "sex flush" and orgasm.

Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin, cyanocobalamin) - believed to aid in memory and learning functions.

Vitamin C (from Lactic acid) - numerous known health benefits, too many to list.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #6462674 - 01/15/07 03:24 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

sounds pretty interesting. mrs rabbit's culture was infected, i'm not gonna be put off the whole thing by her bad luck.

--------------------
buh

Offlineconniekombu
friend

Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: shirley knott]
    #6463017 - 01/15/07 04:44 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

A sick culture can cause a bad brew. Its hard to tell if a culture is bad unless there is mold. The brew will smell bad and taste bad, if you have been successful and know the "good" smell you will know doubt tell if its bad. If there is furry mold on the top, you must throw out the whole batch. HOWEVER......it is rare to have it go bad.......the culture actually protects itself pretty good. Things that can kill your culture are ....antibacterial soaps and unclean preperation.
Its some pretty interesting stuff. Sometimes I get a batch that has more of a head on it than a good sudsy beer. Tastes Great!

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6463260 - 01/15/07 05:49 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

She grew it for a long time. I could tell by the cultures if they were any good or not. They should be clear. If they're cloudy, toss them out.

I sent out a LOT of babies to people here. I'm sure there's still a few going around. Those things divide and multiply like they live in the ghetto.

Another tip for new kambucha growers. Don't use honey. There's a reason it's used as a preservative. Remember, kambucha are not mushrooms.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineconniekombu
friend

Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6463328 - 01/15/07 06:07 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Did you drink the tea also? Why don't you anymore? It's a symbiotic Mushroom!

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

OG Cultivator
    #6463546 - 01/15/07 07:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Calling it a mushroom does sound better than yeast patty.

I used to make tea many moons ago. It is amazing that is does actually make babies. I received my baby for free in the mail. I offered to pay postage, but I was told in lieu of any payment to pass on the baby to another so that they may enjoy the tea also. (Similar to many folks at the Shroomery who give prints away so that others will give prints away) I gave away a bunch over the years.

I never noticed any type of health benefits from the tea. I just thought it was cool to make. Each time I made it the result was slightly different. The only thing I remember disliking about the process was that it attracted teeny little fruit flies from out of nowhere that would hover above my jars.

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: thallus]
    #6463579 - 01/15/07 07:17 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

thallus said:
I have seen this about a lot lately. Is it any good?

fuck no, unless you like the taste of vinegar.
are we thikning of the same product?

kombucha is the nastiest drink ive ever had, but its probably good for you.

maybe yours tastes better..

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6463658 - 01/15/07 07:34 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

that picture in the bottle is kombucha made by GT out west, its quite a high quality product, tastes great. ive never gotten my kombucha to taste as good as the stuff from the bottles.. working on it

its neat to hear they are starting to talk about other recipes for kombucha.. it use to just be green or black tea and white sugar, no alternatives.. on kombu.de they are now saying you can use herbal teas...

i use to make quite a bit of it, using only herbal teas, sometimes yerba mate, and usually sweetening with honey... i stopped once i started mushroom cultivation, because of the fruit fly issue

ive recently started again.. this time i was going to go "by the book" got some raw evaporated cane sugar and some black tea, and have been making gallons... the strange thing is, i can grow beautiful healthy babies, but my beverage sure doesnt taste all that good... lately i keep getting a burned taste..

i thought i was steeping the herbs too long, because i just let the black tea sit in there for hours and get reallllly strong.. i may try it once more with these cultures, only steeping the tea for 15 minutes or so.. i am thinking of just restarting the culture though

if you can get kombucha at the store you can start your own culture easily.. just pour the kombucha tea into a new started tea that has cooled down, maybe using a bit less water and a bit more sugar the first time, and letting it sit in there for longer, to make a healthy starting culture..

the next time i do it i may be super crazy on sterility, to see if it makes any difference. ie, sterilizing my jars in the PC, and aquiring a new culture from a fresh bottle of GT's Kombucha.

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6464452 - 01/15/07 11:50 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i got a fat culture and drink the trilogey and gingeraid.

mango ferments to much in the bottle and explodes a vineger fruit fizz all over when you open it.

Offlineconniekombu
friend

Re: Kombucha Tea [Re: mattymonkey]
    #6465129 - 01/16/07 08:24 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I feel cleanliness is a key. This is a living bacteria so anything going in is going to affect the taste. Here is the receipe I use consistantly.... http://www.etbarretts.com/kombucha/. Consistancy is important in the ingredients too, it takes time for a new culture to adapt to your home and environment. Give it time, be consistant, don't keep changing things. I use Organic Cane sugar and organic tea, reverse osmosis pure water. Mine is fizzy like a nice wine and a very appealing tase, I have given it to many to taste and everyone thinks its really good. I brew for 12 - 14 days (its cold here in WI) and leave it sit at room temp. for 14 days before I drink it cold.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale