Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Reishi tea + dried dates = 42
    #7180569 -

I got my first reishi conks from a little chinese store in town.  When I told the woman working there that it would be my first time making the tea, she recommended adding dried dates to the brew to enhance the flavor.  It definitely works.  I recommend adding about 2-3 per cup being brewed, and smashing them against the side of the pot to release all the flavor.  I boil my tea for about 3 hours. 

It tastes like sweetened black tea, with a bit of a raisiny flavor.
:thumbup:


--------------------
Any information written above is purely fictional.
Any images do not belong to the owner of this account.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jfisher]
    #7180938 -

Nice tip. Reishi tea can be awfully bitter without some help.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7187973 -

Yeah, I've had some yucky teas in my day too! I'll definitely try this, thanks


--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #7192647 -

Oh, why  Reishi tea + dried dates = 42

Is that a reference to Hitchiker's guide? If not it's way over my head:tongue:


--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #7192858 -

can someone explain reishi tea to me please?


--------------------

ilove my woods...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: habitat0789]
    #7192955 -

People commonly take reishi as a powder or as a tea because it's texture is very woody, and it's taste is rather bitter. Also when I took a little nibble out of one of my reishis, it actually numbed my mouth for about 45 minutes. I immediately know how ancient people could see this as a medicine.

Anyway, reishi tea can be made many ways, basically steeping the fruitbodies in hot water. You can add honey or fruits as is suggested here. I had a friend in Nicaragua tell me they were making passion fruit-reishi tea and it was very good.

So people are interested in reishi because of its medicinal properties, not it's culinary appeal (which is non-existent :smile:). And the best way to get at this is by either making capsules or pills of the dried powdered fruitbodies, or by making teas.



I've heard it claimed that the bioactive medicinal compounds in reishi get trapped in the cell walls, so eating powdered reishi is no good. It has to be boiled.



I asked John Holiday from Aloha Medicinals about that, and he told me it was absolute hogwash, and eating the powdered raw organic mushrooms is actually the best way to get all the medicinals.

Light and Love,
JD


--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #7192957 -

Now can some one explain the 42 to me please?


--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jfisher]
    #7193098 -

hahahhaha yes, that was a hitchhiker's guide reference.

I might just be strange, but I would drink this version of the tea for the flavor alone.

Edited by Jfisher (07/18/07 03:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jfisher]
    #7197346 -

Wow that's an advertisement!


--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #7211543 -

in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, the meaning of life was calculated by a supercomputer to be 42. the question itself was more tricky :smile:


--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: shirley knott]
    #12745754 -

Bumping this thread to share the following:

I recently found a few pounds of Reishi (Ganoderma tsugae) and made a tea that was really quite good by steeping several bags of Tazo Red Tea in the water after it was done boiling, then squirting a goodly amount of honey into it and mixing well.  It tastes just like a normal red tea with perhaps a mushroomy "nose" to borrow a snooty wine term.


--------------------
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
~Stephen Crane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Spanielmander]
    #12745792 -

Interesting. I can go out and pick pounds of g. tsugae right now. I have never seen so many of them! They are definitely out there. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Tao


--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12751182 -

Does anyone know why it's not recommended to boil these in an aluminum (some say metal) pot? 

One place even says to use a clay or other earthenware vessel.  OK, I'll be at the riverbank gathering clay, get the kiln heating up.

Seriously, it's hard to separate the mumbojumbo from the medicine with these traditional cures.  I'm sure teflon is fine, right?  It's very non-reactive, that's the point of teflon, isn't it?


--------------------
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
~Stephen Crane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reishi tea + dried dates = 42 [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #23221910 -

Jeremy_Davis said:
People commonly take reishi as a powder or as a tea because it's texture is very woody, and it's taste is rather bitter. Also when I took a little nibble out of one of my reishis, it actually numbed my mouth for about 45 minutes. I immediately know how ancient people could see this as a medicine.

Anyway, reishi tea can be made many ways, basically steeping the fruitbodies in hot water. You can add honey or fruits as is suggested here. I had a friend in Nicaragua tell me they were making passion fruit-reishi tea and it was very good.

So people are interested in reishi because of its medicinal properties, not it's culinary appeal (which is non-existent :smile:). And the best way to get at this is by either making capsules or pills of the dried powdered fruitbodies, or by making teas.



I've heard it claimed that the bioactive medicinal compounds in reishi get trapped in the cell walls, so eating powdered reishi is no good. It has to be boiled.



I asked John Holiday from Aloha Medicinals about that, and he told me it was absolute hogwash, and eating the powdered raw organic mushrooms is actually the best way to get all the medicinals.

Light and Love,
JD



Not true :thumb down:

Reishi mushroom does not need to be boiled. I just recently got mine from one of Japan's greatest sources    http://www.hokkaido-reishi.net    and talked with their team of mycologists and scientists extensively before ordering. The dried mushroom powder simply needs to be mixed with warm water and drank to get maximum benefit. Boiling a tea is not necessary at all. Since I've been taking it I've been feeling the myriad of benefits, and I just followed their simple instructions; mix powder with warm water and drink.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Reishi Tea Recipe CptnGarden 7,189 2 05/16/04 10:37 AM
by CptnGarden
* Reishi Tea Mycoangler 2,522 6 01/04/04 02:52 PM
by creekfarmer
* Post deleted by Administrator Anonymous 1,653 4 07/17/02 11:38 AM
by StInvetroThomas
* what to do with a reishi.. idiotek 1,310 4 06/08/04 09:18 PM
by HillBilly777
* storage of reishi Mitchnast 1,947 9 09/11/03 09:35 PM
by MagmaManiac
* reishi and the brain Cosm 3,354 14 01/17/05 08:44 PM
by curenado
* red vs. black reishi (lucidum vs. sinense?) ucsdmolpath 5,385 4 04/19/04 09:27 PM
by ucsdmolpath
* Reishi RogerRabbitM 2,616 12 03/15/05 11:38 PM
by Olgualion

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Pastywhyte, Forrester, Stromrider, SHROOMSISAY01
3,955 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.