Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAngel_Magic79
HOT DIGGITY DOG
Loc: Siberia
HELP...Questions for Experianced Bulk Growers???
    #642427 - 05/23/02 08:22 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

-I have read old posts with experianced people saying Dont compact grain/castings/straw:
Positives: increase yields, colonize faster w/t less contams & more gas exchange.
Negatives: airpockets that lead to contam & drying out of substrate. Straw
& Casings are used to prevent this?

-On the other end, some cultivators claim packing down castings/straw:
Positives- Faster to colonize, less contam worries, better yields, better moistore
retention. Isn't that what the casing is for?
Negatives- aneorobic areas which will cause contams, hurt yields, less gas
exchange w/t Co2 build up, Slower to colonize.

1. What is the truth? Pack or Dont Pack down the Substrate?

2. I'm spawning a 55 gallon tote(6.25sqft) with 18 qt jars, 10lb's castings w/t
1.5 pillowcases of wheat straw. Should I first colonize the castings or Do
it all at once?

--------------------
ShroomChicks WANTED!!!
Preferably 18 to 21 years old.
Brunett & AVERAGE weight(I Stress)!!!
Please PM me with a current PIC!
Yours truly Mr. Angel- AKA. MOJO MAN
***FEMALES ONLY***

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: HELP...Questions for Experianced Bulk Growers??? [Re: Angel_Magic79]
    #642905 - 05/24/02 06:51 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

First off I really reccomend you dont use castings. They have a high contam rate. Cow or horse manure is much better, as it is a natural substrate for cubensis.

What I have gathered to be the most efficient, easy, etc. way is:
1) Cut up your straw into smaller peices
2) Load a laundry bag or pillow case full of a 75% straw , 25% manure mix.
3) pasturize. drip dry a little...
4) load into bins, mix your grain in, and compact it down. You dont need to have a buncha books on it for days or anything. just compact it down so its even.
5) colonize all that
6) add your casing, let a llittle mycleium colinze into the casing
7) Fruit.

OfflineAngel_Magic79
HOT DIGGITY DOG
Re: HELP...Questions for Experianced Bulk Growers??? [Re: angryshroom]
    #644009 - 05/24/02 07:35 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thankyou AngryShroom!!! My friends uncle has a cow field he has worked for some forty+ years. I'm allowed on the propety any time & he's a cool old timer. He'd tell us not to eat the poison mushies-blah blah blah- but thats the only reason I was walking around on cow patties to begin with. The Bull's are mean fuckers. There fucken crazy . They will chase you around the field when your far far away. I'm talking a football fields length. Sorry I got carried away. Anyways, the cows eat wild grass & straw. Is this OK for PESA's? Are all the crusty cow pies good to go or only the Bull Terds?

There are plenty of horses around here that have many TRS growing on them but farmers won't let kids or anyone go collect poop. Polo Club Basterds. The only horses I can collect shit hassle free is with my cousin who takes horse ridding lessons. Big Problem though... I dont know what the horses diet is & mushies do not grow on this shit. But- the old crusty ones look like straw & soil mushed together . Is this Poop Usable?

--------------------
ShroomChicks WANTED!!!
***FEMALES ONLY***

Offlinemew
    #644073 - 05/24/02 08:35 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Most likely you'l get sum shrooms from the dung described ,if nothing else just do a few small bulk at first to see how fast it'l colonise etc ,most all cow shit we,ve picked from fields has worked fine bulls ,cows ,calfs dont matter that much if any ,although sum are said to not produce well as they may have a fungicide er sum thing given to the animals in their feed ,we've not encountered this as of yet here though ,most of our cattle are semi range where they get much of their food from the land substantiated by grains etc from the owners .MEW

--------------------
support the FSR

OfflineAngel_Magic79
HOT DIGGITY DOG
Re: HELP...Questions for Experianced Bulk Growers??? [Re: mew]
    #644124 - 05/24/02 09:03 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Mew!! I will keep you guys posted. I'm goin for 100% horse dung. The old Posts talk highly of horse dung w/t wheat straw. I can't resist. I will ask what diet supplements the horses are fed. Fungacides, etc...Is there any supplements in horse diets that I should be causious of?

Thanks so Much!!!

--------------------
ShroomChicks WANTED!!!
***FEMALES ONLY***

Invisiblestrang

#644398 - 05/25/02 06:39 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You want the dung to be nice and dry. Make sure to get some that has lots of white stuff on it. This is actinomyces and serves to keep other contams at bay while providing an extra food source for your shrooms.
This is how I use horse dung...
First crumble it into a large pillow case until you have the desired amount.
Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove. Reduce the heat and submerge the dung. Be careful because you will have water trying to boil up the sides of the bag and you may get burned.
keep the pot at a very low boil for an hour to an hour and a half. Let it cool.
Hang the bag so it will drain. I have a special broom handle setup on two sawhorses for exactly this purpose. let it drain for about 6 hours.
Wash your hands and reach in and grab a fistfull of the dung and squeeze it. If you can just get a bit of water out of it then the moisture is perfect.
I line a 45 liter container with tinfoil and dump in the dung to a depth of about 2". To each of these containers I add 5 or 6 crumbled half pints of grain. BRF works fine as spawn. I haven't noticed any real benefit to using whole grains except that they are harder to get fully colonized for newbies

OfflineAngel_Magic79
HOT DIGGITY DOG
Re: HELP...Questions for Experianced Bulk Growers??? [Re: strang]
    #644615 - 05/25/02 09:48 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Kick Ass!!! I cant wait to try Horse Pooh- Here is info i dug up in old posts:

3m told me this awhile back.....he was the master of shit....You want the dung to be nice and dry. Make sure to get some that has lots of white stuff on it. This is actinomyces and serves to keep other contams at bay while providing an extra food source for your shrooms.
Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove. Reduce the heat and submerge the dung. Be careful because you will have water trying to boil up the sides of the bag and you may get burned.
Hang the bag so it will drain. I have a special broom handle setup on two sawhorses for exactly this purpose. let it drain for about 6 hours.
Wash your hands and reach in and grab a fistfull of the dung and squeeze it. If you can just get a bit of water out of it then the moisture is perfect.
I line a 45 liter container with tinfoil and dump in the dung to a depth of about 2". To each of these containers I add 5 or 6 crumbled half pints of grain. BRF works fine as spawn.

I ran into a similar problem. I dumped it in the back yard for 2-3
weeks(one layer deep, not piled) and it was ideal. I have a
double broiler. I put about a quarter to a third deep in dung,
then the second peice to hold it down, then about 2/3 full of
spring water, and a candy thermometer in the upper section.
Keep the temp between 160 and 170 for 30 to 45 min. Then
take it outside and the strainer section will hold in the dung,
you can step on the pot and it will squeeze the excess water
out. Straight dung spawned with a crumbled cake worked
ok but I'm now mixing it with wheat straw pasturized the
same way. It colonized twice as fast. But couldn't see much
difference between spawning with crumbled cake and spawning
with finch seed.
Just my 2 ccs on the horse matter.

Dehydrated manure has a high NPK ratio. Usually 9% Nitrogen. You want your N to be at around 2%. Composted manure is at .5 to 1%, depending on the brand. I find supplementing the composted products, works pretty well.
Add approx. 1/2 lb of the dehydrated to 50 lbs of composted and mix thouroughly. Now your are at approx. 2% N.Cow dung is more processed than horse dung, relative to when the feces leaves the ass of the animals. When cows digest their food, they have a modified esophagus for chewing cud(barfed up food) and regurgitating it for additional absorption via increased surface area. In other words, their digestive system is more efficient than a horse's digestive system. This is why I prefer to use horse shit over cow shit. Once the ammonia has evaporated or decomposed from the feces, horse shit provides more unprocessed cellulose than does cow shit. This means more nutrients are still locked up in the fiberous waste material. Consequently, when the dung is ready to use, you end up with less "free" nitrogen that contams. are looking to exploit. This is why I prefer to use horse dung over cow dung. If I had access to horse shit on a steady basis, I too would be using it. Horse manure is in the 1% range. Cow manure is in the .5 percent range.
TOTAL NITROGEN. Horse manure IS slower release, as well.

dung can be used as a casing, or as a substrate with a casing layer on top of it. In fact you can fruit directly from a dung substrate with no casing. dude has done a variation which works very well FOR HIM: He has cased colonised birdseed 50-50, and added a FEW chunks of dung ON TOP of the 50-50. He has noticed that pins form more quickly in the spots with the dung, and yield is a little better.

Beppo..... where have you been man..... ? Hell yeah they like dung.... they freakin love it. Find some horse stables in your town if you can ... just tell them you want turds for your wife`s roses.. or garden blah blahblah. Horse shit is da SHIT i tell ya.I crumble road apples and pre-wet them .... then nuke in the microwave in a casserole dish with a cover for 10 minutes...... screw all that boiling for an hour stuff. have phenomenal results using this. Let cool and re-check the wetness,,,, you know the old squeeze till a few drops thing. If it dried a little from nuking it just add a little more water and squeeze till a few drops come out....... perfect.Then crumble a PF cake in a ziplock and mix with about 1 part horse doo to one part colonized cake..... stick in a tin pan and cover with tinfoil with a few holes in it .... I swear the mycelia will RACE through it like you have never fucking seen. I`ve had dung/cake substrates colonize to 50 to 75 % in 24 hours...... I shitchoo not . Remove the foil when the top is about 50 to 75% colonized...then case with a non-nutritive layer or it ill over-lay badly .Either Verm..or coir.. or peat/verm mix.... an of the standard casings. Even if you don`t case and the damned thing overlays it will produce mass quantities from all around the sides,.... I was shocked at the size of shrooms too. First flush was 270 wet grams. Here`s the last harrah on a dung/pfcake substrate.... only 5 shrooms but the ones in this pic weighed in at 69.5 wet grams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta try horse crap. If you can`t find it I`m sure a commercial bag of any store bought manure woud yeild great results also........ So quit diddle-daddlin and get off your ass and get some SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol..... Good luck and to anyone else who hasn`t tried poop .

Horse is da SHIT !!!!!!!!!!! Find some stables in your town and ask for some of the older dry stuff.. tell them it`s for your roses or garden. Few road apples goes a long ways Fruits are enormous!!!

The dung needs to be kept in a clean environment while it colonizes. You can't have it in an open tray or one with a cover with holes. It needs to be kept out of the air and light. Any open exposure will contaminate the dung.

You want the dung to be nice and dry. Make sure to get some that has lots of white stuff on it. This is actinomyces and serves to keep other contams at bay while providing an extra food source for your shrooms.
I line a 45 liter container with tinfoil and dump in the dung to a depth of about 2". To each of these containers I add 5 or 6 crumbled half pints of grain. BRF works fine as spawn. I haven't noticed any real benefit to using whole grains except that they are harder to get fully colonized for newbies.
Hope this helps. I prefer to answer these kind of questions in the forums so that more folks can get the benefit and I don't have to keep typing the same thing LOL

--------------------
ShroomChicks WANTED!!!
***FEMALES ONLY***

OfflineAngel_Magic79
HOT DIGGITY DOG
    #644636 - 05/25/02 10:04 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

With all of this info i will use horse dung in place of worm castings. I own a digi camera so pics will follow soon. I plan on spawning one pillowcase of straw to 10lbs of horse dung & 18qrt jars of millet. Pictures of my setup will follow but it will be a week. The grain jars are innoculated with a multi spore syringe of H. Pesa
Wendsday 6pm. In 10days maybe sooner(love that Wheat piss) the jars will be mixed. So far there are no signs of contams. The jars sat for 2weeks in garbage bags with peroxide-incubating at 84f. Yes, I'm extremely fearfull of contams after so many bad experiances w/t Bacillus. Thanks guys- Tuesday I am go'en to shuck some patties & take some Pics. You guys cant wait- huh If there Old & white- PRIME REAL-ESTATE & PICTURE WORTHY- YAHOOOO!!!!

See You All Later

--------------------
ShroomChicks WANTED!!!
***FEMALES ONLY***

Invisiblestrang

#644701 - 05/25/02 10:53 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

weird, you posted my old post after i posted 3m's old post...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom