Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime?
    #6427136 -

Can Potassium hydroxide be used to raise the pH of peat for a casing? 

I've been looking around for hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) for a while now and haven't found it.  Finally I went to a hydroponic shop and they only carry Potassium Hydroxide for raising Ph.  I did a quick search on it to see what I could find out about it's usages.  Apparently one of it's uses is as a FUNGICIDE  :confused: but I don't know if that's only in high concentrations or something.

SECOND QUESTION:
I find it's a lot more difficult to find coco COIR than it is to find coco FIBER.  I know in the 60/40 tek by Roadkill he says to only use the coir.  But does that apply when using it to supplement bulk substrates?

Thanks in advance!


--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Edited by musher_420 (01/05/07 08:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? [Re: musher_420]
    #6427498 -

I have a bottle of potassium hydroxide, too. I was planning on raising pH of a coir/coffee substrate with it at hydration- I assume because of the low quantities that would be used to tune-in pH it wouldn't interfere with anything.

But it would still be good to get the go-ahead from someone who's tried it, or knows what it'll do.

Also, any petsmart'll have bricks of coir.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? [Re: Hypercube]
    #6427559 -

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one in this boat. I'm actually surprised I haven't got an answer from someone who has tried it before yet. I know you can't have high concentrations of magnesium in a casing mix, but that's about it.

The checked the largest petsmart in the area. This place is huge. They don't have bricks of coir. Only bricks of coco fiber. I know a place with coir but it's not convenient where as coco fiber is more easily available to me.


--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? [Re: musher_420]
    #6427649 -

Potassium hydroxide is lethal to fungi. It's also a corrosive chemical agent. Potassium is not a major nutrient for fungi the way it is for plants. Use calcium hydroxide or calcium carbonate for pH control.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6427752 -

Thanks RR.


--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6427827 -

I see that hydrated lime also has quite a few other uses. Seeing as I've been unsuccessful at finding hydrated lime at nurseries or hydro shops. Do you know any other sources for hydrated lime? I see it's used for motor and plaster do you think I could find it at home depot or something? Would you happen to know of any specific brands that would work?

Thanks again.


--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6427831 -

Just for reference:

Calcium hydroxide is also classified as a corrosive chemical. It's a medium-strength base as opposed to potassium hydroxide, which is a strong base. Both will happily ruin your day (or month, or life) if you get any amount in your eyes, though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6427846 -

I'll keep that in mind....I'm more worried about harming my mushrooms then my eyes though. :smirk:


--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Boomr Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* PH Up Solution Is This Ok To Use Instead Of Hydrated Lime? MikesReprisal 1,125 4 11/01/08 11:36 AM
by MikesReprisal
* Hydrated lime tek *DELETED* Chemy 1,666 3 11/06/07 02:38 PM
by mycocurious
* Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? (w/ pics) stuff3232 5,242 12 12/19/06 08:52 PM
by ethnoeste
* . *DELETED* *DELETED* wisp 1,410 9 05/27/08 06:33 AM
by wisp
* conflicting sources - hydrated lime WWorker 1,028 6 09/25/07 07:03 PM
by Vegan
* Hydrated Lime Callampin 1,166 5 03/24/07 01:25 PM
by tight
* Hydrated Lime Substitute? deXtrous 3,526 5 05/29/08 03:30 AM
by Hightimes
* Potassium Hydroxide as a pH buffer in a casing discman1 1,908 14 11/11/04 05:22 AM
by Sam1912

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,447 topic views. 9 members, 47 guests and 106 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.