Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAKSE
My bruises areblue
 User Gallery

Loc: Ak
Phone Tapping - any need to worry about it?
    #6406063 - 12/29/06 03:45 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hey everyone.  Sometimes when talking to people over a cell phone (or other phones), I will hear a beep or some noise and think that my line might be tapped.  Ofcourse I've shrugged this off as typical cannabis-paranoia :wink:  But, can the police or other agencies tap anyones line that they want, or listen in?  Or are there special words that when said, give a signal or something?  If anyone could clear this up or let me know some information that would be great.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: Phone Tapping - any need to worry about it? [Re: AKSE]
    #6407058 - 12/29/06 11:05 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

While the technology is definitely available, I've never heard of or seen it used on small time dope pushers, even with harder substances than cannabis involved.

if your worried about it, just don't talk shit on your phone.

simple as that.

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Phone Tapping - any need to worry about it? [Re: Schwip]
    #6407164 - 12/29/06 12:36 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

In the old days, there was a wire that connected your physical phone located at your house to a large switch box at the phone companies central office. The switch box was typically a bunch (thousands upon thousands) of relays. These mechanical switches would connect the wire from your phone to the wire of a friends phone, allowing you to speak with one another.

When the line was tapped, a recorder was physically hooked up to the wire coming out of your house, at the central office. Whenever you picked up the phone, the recorder would 'tip' (detect the phone being picked up) and start to record. This action would cause the impendence of the line to shift, which could sometimes end up in a click or buzz.

How times have changed...

The wires are now gone, replaced with radio waves. The analog signal is now gone, replaced with encrypted digital signals. The analog switches are now gone, replaced with high speed digital switches. Even the old style analog phones that are in most homes are turned into digital signals when they reach the cenrtal office, before being switched (except in very rural/ancient places(.

As such, when the line is tapped, there is no longer any recorder being hooked up to a physical line. Instead, a digital signal is simply copied. There is no noise, no clicks, no beeps, no impedence changes, nothing at all to indicate the signal has been copied. You won't know until you are told.

> if your worried about it, just don't talk shit on your phone.

Even if you are not worried, don't talk shit on the phone.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Phone Tapping - any need to worry about it? [Re: Seuss]
    #6407220 - 12/29/06 01:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

> But, can the police or other agencies tap anyones line that they want, or listen in? Or are there special words that when said, give a signal or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

Hell yes! With the advent of widespread international communications world governemts decided it was so fucking important to intercept your communications that they signed a treaty and created an international organization to listen to your shit.

It was a pact among non-communist countries to get together and share their listening capabilities, but imagine what they're doing with it nowdays.

-FF

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Phone Tapping - any need to worry about it? [Re: fastfred]
    #6407223 - 12/29/06 01:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

It is very real. It was entirely for intercepting satelight communications in the beginning I think, as if that wasn't bad enough, but imagine what they must be doing today.

Here is a good reason this shit is so much more dangerous than just a single nation.

"US intelligence agencies are generally prohibited from spying on people inside the US, and other Western countries' intelligence services generally faced similar restrictions within their own countries.

There are allegations, however, that ECHELON and the UKUSA alliance were used to circumvent these restrictions by, for example, having the UK facilities spy on people inside the US and the US facilities spy on people in the UK, with the agencies exchanging data."

-FF

OfflineAKSE
My bruises areblue
 User Gallery

Loc: Ak
Re: Phone Tapping - any need to worry about it? [Re: fastfred]
    #6408924 - 12/30/06 04:06 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a bunch. All the rumors and things I've heard about phone-tapping seem to be false. I will give it less thought now than I did. I just thought that maybe local PD could just listen in on a select person's calls if they were suspicious of that person.

Peace!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds