Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this?
    #6368946 - 12/14/06 01:57 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.hydroponicist.com/

I know lots of theory about how plants grow, apical meristems etc but I'm very much lacking in the practical department. I'm looking for a good read through with all the options etc for a DIY one, I'm looking to grow Salvia, and lots of it. I'm also going to build a flow hood so I can start tissue culturing also, but for now I need more cuttings.

Can anyone upload or find a link to a good ebook(such as the link to help me on my merry way. I had a search through old posts, and its hard to find a well drawn up this as in the link above. Cheers

Oh for shits and giggles here's a wee pic I took today of one of my Salvia Defenders.  :grin:

Edited by Feelers (12/14/06 03:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineg0pher
sir?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this? [Re: Feelers]
    #6369743 - 12/14/06 10:06 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

dude that mantis looks sick :laugh:

as for tissue culture... i tried and its alot harder than it seems. good luck and i hope you succeed where many have failed.

i have a  hydroponic salvia  set up. salvia loves this!

--------------------

ALL POSTS ARE FICTIONAL

OfflineFeelers
Male User Gallery

Re: A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this? [Re: g0pher]
    #6370700 - 12/14/06 02:49 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet cheers man, I saw your setup its looks awesome. I'm still trying to get a good overview of the water movement in the different systems. What's the point in ebb and flow? What actually happens?
My guess is it fills the area under the plant up with water, then intermitantly flushes it out which exposes the roots to oxygen, and then fills up again?

On the tissue culture front, one of my 300 level courses for my Bio degree was Plant Biotechnology, and we did quite a bit of tissue culturing. Sterility is the major major problem. Way worse than microbiology which I couldnt really understand. The most important thing is properly sterilizing your starting plant material. After you have a sterile culture you should be ok. Although getting initial callus growth is more difficult.

This pic was sweet, I finally got one in a good focus. This guy is pretty small,about the length of a quarter which is why he's hard to photograph.

And this one was quite cool, both watching each other.

It was quite weird to watch, I was spraying my plant with water and the mantis's all lay down flat and hoovered along the leaves sucking up the water droplets. I also got to feed one a fly out of a pair of tweasers. I might try and video this happening. :grin:

Offlinedeadhorse
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tamaki Makaurau, Aotearoa
Re: A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this? [Re: Feelers]
    #6370926 - 12/14/06 04:08 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Aah sweet love those little critters, wonder if they came down with the plant? The area where I'm growing is swarming with the little blighters- they get into everything, they're really curious.

Trying to encourage predators like mantis, spiders and lacewing cause I want to avoid using any sprays if I can. Seems to help, and it's pretty cool seeing what a dynamic community a plant becomes.

lacewing

--------------------
flogging a dead horse is a one man job

Offlineg0pher
sir?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this? [Re: deadhorse]
    #6370998 - 12/14/06 04:41 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yes, ebb and flow is also called flood and drain, it fills up with a pump, and drains with gravity.

send me one of those defenders!!

--------------------

ALL POSTS ARE FICTIONAL

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this? [Re: deadhorse]
    #6371084 - 12/14/06 05:11 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Here's a handy link for different Hydro setups. I want to try to build a single bucket drip unit.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this? [Re: gema]
    #6371277 - 12/14/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

nice close ups of the mantis feelers :grin:

good luck with your project, so far as i know salvia is well suited to most hydro systems.

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineFeelers
Male User Gallery

Re: A Few Cool Salvia Pics. & Hydroponics Ebooks - anyone have this? [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #6372094 - 12/14/06 09:45 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet cheers for the link, I think an ebb and flow looks to be the one for me, these are a lot easier than I would have thought.

Another pic I just took, caught him at the end of a moult. You can just make out the part of his razor arms in the shed skin, pretty cool! :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder