Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Amazon Hygrometer, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
Dual grow closet design questions
    #6360962 - 12/12/06 12:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I was helping a friend design a fruiting chamber type greenhouse, they are going to use two greenhouses and run a coolmist & ultrasonic type system with perlite on the floor etc. My friend had the idea of running a T splitter in the hose system for the coolmist & ultrasonic to use just one humidifer of each kind for both closets. His idea is to save money and space of having four humidifiers. Both greenhouse are situated side by side.

I am pretty confident one ultrasonic could provide enough humidity for both greenhouses but will the coolmist provide enough FAE?

I told him I thought he'd be best off maybe just cutting open the adjoining walls of the greenhouses and just making two a big one and siliconing or taping the sides (this is ghetto according to him)...

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences/ideas pertaining to this? Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: rawtoxic]
    #6361003 - 12/12/06 01:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i think it will work fine. test out some timing settings with the ultrasonic and get a hygrometer. run coolmist 24/7 and have ultrasonic come on just enough to keep RH btw 90-98

--------------------
----------

Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: odium33]
    #6361234 - 12/12/06 02:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

While you can pretty much use all of the FAE you can get, I think the one cool mist should be sufficient. And the ultrasonic will be fine for sure.

Additionally, instead of putting a T-joint in the piping, I would run two separate pipes from the coolmist. This will help relieve back pressure and your coolmist will last a little bit longer.

--------------------

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: soulsizzle]
    #6362574 - 12/12/06 07:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Does anyone use fans of sort on the sides of their greenhouse style fruit chambers? Any pics or links would be great.

I like the two seperate hose idea, thanks soulsizzle, do you think they should be smaller than normal size?

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
    #6362607 - 12/12/06 07:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Here's a pic of my cool mist. It has two 1.5" internal diameter hoses coming out of it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #6362628 - 12/12/06 08:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think you'll be far better off to use the humidifiers to provide humidity and use vents cut in the sides of the greenhouse for air exchange.

One coolmist mounted inside the greenhouse if it's the size of a martha is plenty. There is no need for the ultrasonic. My greenhouse is easily the size of three marthas and two coolmists on the floor provide 99% humidity by running one to two minutes on, then two to three minutes off. Short cycling the humidifiers cuts way down on the amount of dripping from the mist hitting shelves. I tweak the cycle timer depending on how full the unit is at any given time. Trays of damp perlite on the floor catch any drips and return them to the air as humidity.

I also have a stand alone air conditioner connected to the greenhouse for use in cold shocking cold weather edibles. I have it configured for the fan to be always on. The air is piped to the lower part of the greenhouse so that the humidifier blows right up into the fresh air supply from the AC. The return air is located in the ceiling of the greenhouse and it exhausts back to the unit, where the air is returned to the bottom of the greenhouse, providing constant circulation and turbulence. Constant air movement is critical to avoid trichoderma and cobweb.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6362640 - 12/12/06 08:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

RR - Do you have any sort of diagram showing where to put holes? When this cool mist blows out on me I want to put one in my greenhouse w/ ventilation holes as well.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: etam]
    #6362742 - 12/12/06 08:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

For a martha or larger sized greenhouse, cut the holes about 4" in diameter. At least two at top and at least two down low. I have several times that many. The more air holes you have the better, provided you can keep up with humidity, which a coolmist or two inside will easily do. Don't let anybody mislead you either. Lining the floor with trays of damp perlite makes a huge difference, especially if you have a fan blowing across them.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBataviaVakereli
Stranger
Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6362832 - 12/12/06 08:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Roger, I know you're big behind fresh air is most important when preventing contams. Do you filter your vent holes in any way?

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #6363734 - 12/12/06 10:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

RR - Just the advice I wanted. A+

A few more questions:
What type of timers do you use for quick on/off cycles?
Would you recommend adding a fan inside GC to blow clear perlite like your AC fan does? Or is this an unneeded extra?
What type of air circulation should be present in room outside closets just a fan blowing, ok?

I am also curious about the vent holes question? Perlite balls of sorts ?

Offlinesoulsizzle

Re: Dual grow closet design questions [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #6364371 - 12/13/06 01:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BataviaVakereli said:
Roger, I know you're big behind fresh air is most important when preventing contams. Do you filter your vent holes in any way?

Though this question is directed at RogerRabit, here's my 2 cents. There is no need for filters here. Your fruiting area does not need to be sterile. There should be only fully colonized substrate in your fruiting chamber, and these should be cantam-resistant enough on their own.

--------------------

Offlinesoulsizzle

#6364380 - 12/13/06 01:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

rawtoxic said:
I like the two seperate hose idea, thanks soulsizzle, do you think they should be smaller than normal size?

Not really. I run two tubes of 1" PVC and am completely satisfied with my results.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Amazon Hygrometer, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation