Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheBearJew
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

300-400 Quart Cushion Box Greenhouse conversion Question + other newb Q's
    #25057557 - 03/12/18 01:42 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Size: Lxwxh 120x56x63cm or 47x22x25 Inches

Reason for this box. This cushion box is cheap. It is discreet/grow light is hidden. Plus all the benefits of a greenhouse. The amount of money I would need to spend to cover the grow light would be more expensive than this box.

My plan is to convert this "outdoor garden cushion box/storage box" into a mini greenhouse and grow inside of it with 2-4 small uncovered containers.

Ill add a cold mist humidifier, and maybe a fan.

Ill add a T8 6500k 2 ft fluorescent. Do you think this would make the box too warm? total overkill?

Other options for warmth, heating and light are a CFL, and Christmas lights (buried in sand which will absorbed and evenly distributes the heat).

My 2 prospective grow areas are 64.4 F 25-35% humidity (large room) and 55.4 F 50-60% humidity (wine cellar). So basically large room = higher temp/ lower humidity, or cellar lower temp/higher humidity + more mold (but this risk is manageable).

Is it a huge risk to Fruit this box in a small wine Cellar? It is my preferred grow area and has its own mini climate with almost no moving air. I am certain it is contaminated with tons of mold spores. - would a computer fan hooked up to a Hepa N95 as an intake control the risk enough (of coarse Ill need to crack the lid open sometimes)? I could also run a hepa filtration in the cellar that should scrub the air clean completely every few hours. I could  sanitize about 60-80% of the surface area of the cellar with lysol. There is no escaping mold spores in my house no matter where I go. I dont have a mold problem, but in my climate everybody can only minimize mold and not eliminate it.

I can only find partial answers to these questions I cant walk into a store and look at everything to figure it out in my head. So there's a lot of theory crafting for a bunch of variables that I cannot account for.

I would appreciate any feedback.

--------------------
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?

Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 300-400 Quart Cushion Box Greenhouse conversion Question + other newb Q's [Re: TheBearJew]
    #25057648 - 03/12/18 03:48 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

In my oponion turning that giant box into some sort of greenhouse is a waste of time. Too much work when you can buy a plastic tote that has almost the same area inside and use it as a completely self contained terrarium requiring only the electricity of a light bulb.

Youre making this harder on yourself than it has to be.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11916595

Greenhouses, mini or not, take practice to dial in. A mono is set and forget. It literally does all the work for you.

Relative humidity doesn't really mean anything, surface conditions are what matters for pinning, a properly constructed mono will hold it's own humidity and keep your surface conditions right on it's own. No misting, no fanning, no humidifier required.

You'll also be able to use the entire bottom surface of the monotub for growing, no space will be left unused and you'll get higher yields.

You can still put a properly constructed mono in your wine closet, just add a 40 watt 6500k daylight spectrum bulb, they cost about 5 dollars. (I don't know what you mean by being less expensive than your grow light when a grow light is so cheap.)

If you go down this route you're planning I foresee a lot of frustration and dissappointment. Making any kind of greenhouse doesn't become worth the effort unless you're growing on a huge scale (10 plus trays)

I'm all for experimentation but nothing about this idea seems like it's better than a good old fashioned tub with holes.

Edit: also, if you want to run a little one room hepa filter in the wine room it wouldn't hurt anything but you're number one protection against contamination is clean, fully colonized spawn. If you're growing on coir and vermiculite you basically don't have to worry about airborn contamination, especially if you're growing in a montub with the holes plugged with polyfil which filters the air.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Edited by elasticaltiger (03/12/18 03:56 AM)

OfflineTheBearJew
Stranger

Re: 300-400 Quart Cushion Box Greenhouse conversion Question + other newb Q's [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25057691 - 03/12/18 05:08 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for your input. I've run into a few posts where people had trouble with their humidity. But I've been reading so much that im mixing up information in my head and it was probably about the shotgun tek struggling with the low ambient humidity.

The issue is if I do a monotub it means that I need to cover up the grow light so it doesnt shine all over the place. Then I need explain what I am doing to every guest that comes to my house that sees it. It is completely legal in my country to grow these mushrooms, but huge negative stigma people have isn't something I want to deal with. This large cushion box mini greenhouse solution seems to be the best solution to this problem.

Now that I think about it I think I can build a light fixture that rests on top of the monotub with some PVC. Then I can cover the whole thing with a dark sheet so people dont think the 2nd coming of the Lord is happening under my desk.

You are right I have been over complicating things. I was thinking of all these expensive solutions for covering my monotub that the mini greenhouse seemed cheaper. Thats how some programmers are though, usually really fancy somewhat complicated solutions to simple things.

Thanks.

--------------------

Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

OfflineTheBearJew
Stranger

Re: 300-400 Quart Cushion Box Greenhouse conversion Question + other newb Q's [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #25057694 - 03/12/18 05:09 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

By the way I've read a ton of your posts and teks already in the last week. Really appreciate all your contributions.

--------------------

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 300-400 Quart Cushion Box Greenhouse conversion Question + other newb Q's [Re: TheBearJew]
    #25057696 - 03/12/18 05:14 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

You can make your monotub out of a solid colored tote and attach a blue LED  rope light to the bottom side of the lid. Easy peasy and no light gets out except the crack where the power cord enters.

--------------------

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

Invisiblethelanzii

#25057705 - 03/12/18 05:26 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

wouldn't the light still exit the polyfill holes?

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 300-400 Quart Cushion Box Greenhouse conversion Question + other newb Q's [Re: thelanzii]
    #25057717 - 03/12/18 05:43 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

EtherealMind said:
wouldn't the light still exit the polyfill holes?

They might glow a little but those led rope lights can be cut to size and he wouldn't need that much for one tub. The holes might glow a little.

He could also go no hole if he wanted.

--------------------

OfflineTheBearJew
Stranger

#25057966 - 03/12/18 09:28 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

OK, that opens up a lot of options for tubs if they are opaque. Are LED's sufficient in your experience for healthy mushrooms? RR's recommended 6500k florescent because they emit a broad spectrum light.

Im not trying to win a championship here, so if LED's can get me 90% result then im up for that.

--------------------

OfflineTheBearJew
Stranger

#25057973 - 03/12/18 09:37 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

If I use an solid color box does that mean that I can avoid putting in the trash bag liner? I've heard 2 conflicting points on this.

1 - trash-bag liner shrinks along with colonized substrate therefore preventing pinning.

2- You can spray paint the outside of the box and prevent the pinning because there is no light.

--------------------

Invisibleboom boom

#25058040 - 03/12/18 10:19 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Most TC's seem to think light has no impact on side pinning.

OfflineHugh Jorgan
Mycophile
 User Gallery

Re: 300-400 Quart Cushion Box Greenhouse conversion Question + other newb Q's [Re: boom boom]
    #25058077 - 03/12/18 10:39 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

you really do want the liner anyway.Its not so much the light that induces pinning as FAE. The light really just gives the boomers a direction to grow in. The liner tends to cling to the sub and helps reduce side pinning by preventing a microclimate from forming between the sides of the tub and the sides of the sub.

--------------------
Always go forward! Never go straight!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate