Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: Osker246]
    #6245274 -

Osker246 said:
Plus vinyl is black crack once you start buying you cant stop. Trust me I know :tongue:



yeah wow what an understatement.


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: snoot]
    #6245298 -

What are you trying to get out of djing? what style you thinking about? I started out with heavy dnb/hardcore, once I got more into I started cutting and scratching, then dived headfirst into hiphop/old school r&B. Now I'm fully addicting to old school funk and I cant get enough. I love cutting and scratching and juggling. In my opinion I cant handle someone just sitting there mixing two records all night, its just aggrivating. Once you learn to scratch and juggle its endless. Add a labtop with ableton live and a foot pedal or a control interface and you got some shit going on. As far you as you cd-heads go, you can never ever rock cd's like you can vinyl. MsPinky and Serato add some sickness with the feel of wax. MsPinky is only a 100$ with the same versatility of Serato Scratch except not 700$.


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: snoot]
    #6274461 -

what speakers do you recommend i buy? i need cables as well i think. can anyone recommend some good songs to mix?


--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6274498 -

Mix what ever the hell sounds good to you. Thats how you develop your own style :cool:

But KRK RP series are great monitors for mixing. Thats what im using at the moment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6277079 -

m-audio makes some good self powered monitors for like $150 up.. studiophiles. they have nice clean sound but don't throw very far, so it's good for keeping noise levels down.

i had a set, i loved them.

yos-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: Yoschie99]
    #6280642 -

i need a monitor as well as the speakers and cables?


--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6280878 -

Studio Monitors = Speakers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: Osker246]
    #6286448 -

haha my bad.

my friend recommended that i get self-amplified speakers?

where can i get the ones you use?


--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6287990 -

The monitors im using right now you can get from here:

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~waGr...~%5BcatGroup%5D

or just about any guitar center or sam ash carrys them.

Your friend is right active speakers would be better for what you want to use them for. If you bought some passive speakers you would have to buy a seperate ampiflier for the monitors. The KRK RP 8's are Active so you dont have to worry about buying an amp. You dont necessarly need the RP 8s though. If your budget is low you can also go with the Rp 5's or 6's. Theres lots of other great monitors out there. The only real way to determin which one you like is to actually go to a music store and try them all out with your favorite music.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: Osker246]
    #6321967 -

my friend said that i do not want studio monitors and that those are just for playing at home. if i want to play outside of home, i have to get self-amplified speakers. he suggested the JBLs...

what do you think?


--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6325989 -

I dont know much about actual speaker setups. I do know your gonna need speakers with lots of power to get that full range sound outdoors. So to get a decent outdoor setup your gonna need to spend atleast 1k.

Ive heard mixed things about JBl such as the hi's are weak or lacks bass. Dont know if its true but if your truly going to make an investment like this then you better be at the store testing them out. Ive heard nothing but good stuff about mackie's so you should keep those speakers into consideration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6326623 -

if you're playing outside of home, unless you are throwing the party you shouldn't have to bring speakers...

i prefer small monitors since i live in an apartment.. perhaps if i had a house w/ some distance between the neighbors, i would consider getting something bigger. plus, they have good sound quality for the size and money spent.

yos-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: Yoschie99]
    #6341937 -

if youre playing a big party on a big soundsystem you will most likely want to have a pair of monitors near you.


as for the self powered jbls, they are very decent bang for buck speakers.

as far as monitors go, you kinda get what you pay for.


--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starting to DJ [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6346085 -

I have a similar setup. I have the cdj-800mk2s and a 707 mixer.

Get a good pair of headphones and a good pair of Monitors. I use KRK-rp6. $200 each but they sound *SO* good. enjoy, and rock those tables w/ some good tunes!

Also, record everything you mix. That way you can chart your progress and see what you need to improve on.

edit:

I have my monitors hooked up via quality rca cables. The rp5 or six would be a good choice. the 8s take up quite a bit more room. For $300 you can get the krk 10" sub in the future. it'll pound hard and sound very nice. mount them in a place so the tweeters are at ear level. also, i've seen some quality setups that look horrible due to bad cable management. keep those wires tidy (a pet peeve of mine).

Start with some easy music with well defined bass beats at the beginning. practice mixing the same songs and learn how to identify where the phrases start and end in your music. when a 64 or 128 beat phrase lines up with the song mixing in, beautiful things happen.

try and keep your two songs on an equal dB level as defined by the bass beats on your mixer. I shoot for +5 dB. nothing is worse than mixing in a song that doesn't have the volume you want, or worse, clips to f*ck.

Edited by esmokah (12/08/06 12:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* For Sale 2X Pioneer CDJ-850 + DJM-850 Mixer Package......$2,800 turntable 856 1 06/20/12 05:43 PM
by Burke Dennings
* Buying my first set of turntables...help me! FunkyLoFi 1,149 15 03/28/06 08:41 AM
by BrAiN
* What are some of your fav DJ's? MrMike 1,180 15 08/31/03 01:17 PM
by biglo
* DJ's-Breaks, Jungle,Turntableism, etc... leelu 982 7 10/13/03 12:12 AM
by DankBluntZ
* DJ Equipment & DJing ImOver18 701 4 12/02/03 07:35 PM
by MadadaM
* CDJs eligal 805 5 11/08/06 03:49 PM
by Osker246
* Traktor DJ Studio iateshaggy 785 7 06/01/06 07:36 AM
by Trav
* Anyone use Traktor DJ Studio to mix? deranger 547 2 08/16/08 09:39 PM
by deranger

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
2,737 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 13 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 17 queries.