Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: supercollider]
    #6285169 -

Yeah, doing a fresh install of Ubuntu/Kubuntu is easy - its just a matter of having nearly 400 gigs of stuff smeared across two 250g HD's with a few partitions on each. Trying to back up / move things around becomes a chore.

Ideally, what I should (and wanted to do) when I ran windows was have

1 windows partition that just had windows on it
1 partition for applications
1 partition for 'data' (documents, downloads, etc)

That way if I ever needed to do a format/re-install - I could just format the windows and/or application partition and not need to worry about backing stuff up as it was on a seperate one, but ended up not sticking to that system and I have crap spread all over.

I guess the linux equiv would be having my /home be mounted on it's own partition --- keep my personal data in there, then that way when doing a fresh install I wouldnt need to worry about backing stuff up (in theory...)

Either way, I got Kubuntu upgraded easily enough, hit one snag when following the directions on the page (the last apt-get install kde-desktop etc etc), as kde-desktop relied on xorg, and xorg relied on libgl1-mesa-glx -- just had to install those two first and boom - all is well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: kaniz]
    #6285819 -

yeah, I have /home on its own partition and all my media on an external harddrive, so a fresh install takes no time at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Vvellum]
    #6285845 -

theres a disturbing lack of gentoo users :frown:

and no wise ass has said LFS yet :laugh:


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6285860 -

I use Mepis because its easy to use, easy to install, and comes with a great package selection.  :cool:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: kaniz]
    #6285866 -

Quote:
Either way, I got Kubuntu upgraded easily enough, hit one snag when following the directions on the page (the last apt-get install kde-desktop etc etc), as kde-desktop relied on xorg, and xorg relied on libgl1-mesa-glx -- just had to install those two first and boom - all is well.



why are you installing kubuntu that way? are you doing a server install first? you should do kde-core not kde-desktop. See thread

basically, you want to do a server install and then:

Quote:
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install kde-core
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Cepheus]
    #6285873 -

I didnt like gentoo. Too much work for too little gain, in my personal opinion. I prefer arch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Vvellum]
    #6285898 -

Definately has the most flexible package system though. portage rox0rz :laugh:


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Cepheus]
    #6286290 -

I was just following the directions on the Kubuntu page of:

Quote:
Upgrading from 6.06 LTS

Users of Kubuntu 6.06 LTS can upgrade to 6.10 over the internet by following these instructions:

* NOTE: This procedure upgrades your system over the Internet, which requires a large download of several hundred megabytes.
* In Konqueror go to /etc/apt, right click on sources.list and choose Actions -> Edit as Root
* Change all instances of dapper to edgy
* Launch a console with KMenu -> System -> Konsole
* In the console run: sudo apt-get update
* In the console run: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and follow the prompts to upgrade
* In the console run: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop python-qt3 python-kde3 ubuntu-minimal and follow the prompts to install
* Reboot your computer




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: kaniz]
    #6287260 -

does anyone here use a bsd for their daily computing? how is that?


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* linux and windows Cracka_X 1,459 17 04/20/07 08:41 AM
by AlCapwn
* anyone know linux. dressel11 767 5 06/08/06 04:10 PM
by drbob
* getting started with linux *DELETED* Room4Shroom 950 7 09/27/06 08:20 PM
by Room4Shroom
* quick general linux question Epigallo 329 2 03/23/09 12:06 AM
by Epigallo
* Favorite Linux? Gr33nTree73 747 7 12/21/08 01:48 PM
by sam420
* Gentoo Linux Rules All! FreedomFight 710 6 11/27/05 10:22 PM
by Vvellum
* the Phychotrons Officaly Gonna start using Linux Thread
( 1 2 all )
Phychotron 3,740 31 06/06/05 05:47 AM
by MAIA
* Just Installed Windows 7 Penguarky Tunguin 601 11 10/22/09 09:47 PM
by Penguarky Tunguin

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,976 topic views. 6 members, 75 guests and 244 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 17 queries.