Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: MisterMudd]
    #6283073 -

MY friend slipped me an Ubutnu disc, but I'm afraid to leave windows :lol:  I've been so used to it that I think I'd be lost with anything else.  Can someone point me to some pertinent reading?  I'd love to rid myself of Microsoft if Ubutnu works just as well and is compatible with everything.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Newbie]
    #6283100 -

Check this out:

http://www.linux.org/lessons/

And if you are using Ubuntu, go to the Ubuntu forums.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Newbie]
    #6283104 -

...depends on what you do. games? no. graphic design? stick with osx or windows. everything else, linux is great.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Vvellum]
    #6283139 -

I do a lot of multimedia, (video, graphic design, word processing). I just hear how much better Linux is, I'm afraid of it's compatibility.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Newbie]
    #6283200 -

Gentooooooooooooooooooooooo cause I love portage.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Cepheus]
    #6283488 -

If your doing lots of media, you may be best left in the Windows or OSX world for now.

For basic surfing / chatting / office work / email / etc (ie: what 90% of the population uses computing for), Ubuntu/Kubuntu works just fine.

The only thing that didnt really work 'out of the box' was MP3 support which seems odd - but its due to liscencing issues, *shrug* and didn't take that long to get working anyways.

There is the odd thing that makes me scratch my head. ie: now and then audio from flash will stop working, but been running Kubuntu for over a month now and generally no complaints.

And, just about anything I want/need to install I just use the apt manager and can download/run it from there with minimal fuss.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: kaniz]
    #6283706 -

If you're using Flash 7, it has lots of known bugs with audio. You should upgrade to the Flash 9 beta, it's much better. It's probably in the repositories somewhere.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: kaniz]
    #6284039 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: supercollider]
    #6284045 -

I am very proud to say of having part in building Fedora LTSP Sever and with 60 workstations. It was pretty sweet. Used a zeon processor,2 gigs ram, 500gig HD and remember this was 2 1/2 years ago. Very top notch. I haven't touched it since. I fucking despise windows.

Im a Apple OS X User now

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6284062 -

on the various computers i've got at home and at the office, i run debian (testing/unstable), ubuntu (6.06 [x86 & 64], 6.10, & 6.06 ), & fc5. been meaning to build a gentoo machine, but had a corrupted install CD and have never taken the time to burn a new one

why? well, i need *nix for my work (apache/perl/mysql).. i guess i could use windows or osx, but i've been a linux user for years and can't stand the XP gui, and macs are far too proprietary & pricy for my liking. plus i like being able to swap parts and build franken-machines. after using gnome for so many years, i cant even stand KDE, let alone bloat-ware XP


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Krishna]
    #6284080 -

I'm currently upgrading from Dapper to Edgy right now --- hope it goes smoothly as I've heard of a few people having problems.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: kaniz]
    #6284089 -

i was unable to get the upgrade to work on one of my machines, no idea why. i'd recommend just saving everything you need and doing a clean install; that seems to work 100% of the time


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Krishna]
    #6284094 -

I really should do that anyways.

I first started using Kubuntu as a "lets give it a try and see", and not figuring I'd stick with it - so still have Windows XP and NTFS partitions and all my stuff sort of floating in a bit of a mess between the two. I really should move shit around, do a backup / format and clean-install of a pure linux system. I've only booted into windows once since installing Kubuntu -- and even when in windows all my files were in a mess.

Its just such a tedius task.

Thankfully with Kubuntu, a fresh install isnt that big of a hassle - as all the software I need just comes with the install, with Windows it's always a pain having to re-install/drivers/update/etc/etc all the applications I use.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Krishna]
    #6284097 -

clean installs are the way to go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: kaniz]
    #6284130 -

using http://ubuntuguide.org/ you can usually get an ubuntu install up and running with everything you'd want within an hour (assuming you've got high-speed internet) :thumbup:


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Krishna]
    #6284176 -

or for the easy way out: www.getautomatix.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Vvellum]
    #6284271 -

Pardon my ignorance, since I've never used Ubuntu, but why is upgrading it so difficult? Can't you just set your sources for the latest repository and let 'er rip? I did that with Debian a couple times, and that's when I really learned the power of the APT system. (Then I switched to Gentoo and found a package system even better than APT.)


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Vvellum]
    #6284557 -

i've seen more than a few desktops completely screwed by automatix, though. i've heard success stories, no doubt, but have had to fix dependency hell for friends too many times to want to try automatix myself


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: supercollider]
    #6284562 -

Debian testing. Because Gentoo was a pain to upgrade. 11 hours to compile OpenOffice! Just made no sense, fallback to Debian.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: funnybunny]
    #6284575 -

Good lord, why would you want to compile openoffice though? openoffice-bin is there for a reason.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* linux and windows Cracka_X 1,459 17 04/20/07 08:41 AM
by AlCapwn
* anyone know linux. dressel11 767 5 06/08/06 04:10 PM
by drbob
* getting started with linux *DELETED* Room4Shroom 950 7 09/27/06 08:20 PM
by Room4Shroom
* quick general linux question Epigallo 329 2 03/23/09 12:06 AM
by Epigallo
* Favorite Linux? Gr33nTree73 747 7 12/21/08 01:48 PM
by sam420
* Gentoo Linux Rules All! FreedomFight 710 6 11/27/05 10:22 PM
by Vvellum
* the Phychotrons Officaly Gonna start using Linux Thread
( 1 2 all )
Phychotron 3,740 31 06/06/05 05:47 AM
by MAIA
* Just Installed Windows 7 Penguarky Tunguin 601 11 10/22/09 09:47 PM
by Penguarky Tunguin

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,976 topic views. 9 members, 23 guests and 199 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.