Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
What version of Linux do you use and why?
    #6279312 -

Just sort of wondering, it seems as if Linux users are like smokers in the way we seem to stick to our 'brand'.

I used to use Redhat about 5 years ago then after novell bought out Suse I've been hooked, Suse just seems to be cleaner overall, I know it's a little more user friendly then some other distributions (sort of funny that I think user friendly is a bad thing), but I believe that it'll be the dist that more businesses will use when they wake up and realize that Linux is a superior OS, not to mention that free never hurts.


--------------------
"It's all bla bla bla... and then nothing more."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6279336 -

Ubuntu.. cuz it's totally sweet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Boom]
    #6279357 -

Booooom said:
Ubuntu.. cuz it's totally sweet



Plus it works great with NTFS partitions.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6279366 -

Ubuntu here, but, I havent started it up in like 2 months....it worked great in the 64 bit mode!

But, im over it now...

I'm way too familiar with windows. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: angryshroom]
    #6279377 -

Yeah, windows is my main OS.. if I need to write a program or anything like that I'll use Ubuntu..

other than that, for Usenet downloading and DVD burning, windows currently has the best programs IMO

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Boom]
    #6279450 -

newsreader: pan
dvd ripping/authoring/burning: tovid (tovid-gui is great) & K9Copy & dvdbackup (commandline based)

I use ubuntu and archlinux.
ubuntu is my stable. archlinux is my experimental.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6279466 -

slackware 2.9

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6279475 -

I have a mail and web server running SuSE, but I hate it. I use Ubuntu on all of my servers, now. Desktop, I'm still using Windows, but am slowing migrating to Linux...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: fiXXXer]
    #6279646 -

Fedora 5 now. Don't feel like upgrading to Fedora 6 or the new Ubuntu because I've basically upgraded my current system to be as good as either of those.

Fedora 5 is by far the best distro I've used.... which includes, well, all the major ones and a few smaller ones over the last 6 years. Very happy with this one!

Probably wait for FC7 or whatever Ubuntu comes next.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: bluedolphin]
    #6279820 -

7.04 or something


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #6279823 -



--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6279957 -

Gentoo of course. Friendly is bad, in most cases. I used Red Hat 7.2, but quit when they released 8.0 because they dumbed it down too much. Then I used Debian for a while, then settled on Gentoo. This way I don't have to have Gnome or KDE installed and I don't have to compile support for them into my apps. My system is AMD64, and it's mad fast and stable with Gentoo.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? *DELETED* [Re: supercollider]
    #6279980 -

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: blink]
    #6280273 -

blinkidiot said:
how do you deal with the "house built on matchsticks" organizational structure?



I'm not sure what you mean by that.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6280394 -

I would love to learn linux.  I tried Ubuntu, but from everything I read it was almost impossible to get it to work with dual screen monitors with one monitor running an Nvidia card and the other an ATI.

:shrug:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: K1wI]
    #6280611 -

ubuntu, because it has a large community, financial backing, would never sell out like novell just did, and is debianish.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: wilshire]
    #6280864 -

do you use dvorak?

how do you switch over? modify xorg.conf and then pop out the keys and rearrange to dvorak?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Vvellum]
    #6280990 -

I use dvorak. Yeah, modify xorg.conf by changing the
Option "XkbLayout"
line to "dvorak"

Then you also have to change it in the console by running "loadkeys dvorak"

Then switch the keys around on your keyboard if you want. You'll actually get better & faster if you DON'T change your keys, and do it entirely by feel instead. Plus you'll absolutely fry the brain of anyone else who tries to use your computer. I have the keys rearranged on this keyboard, but the next time I buy a new one, I'm probably not even going to bother with that.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: Vvellum]
    #6281556 -

modify xorg.conf and then pop out the keys and rearrange to dvorak?

yep, it's just like supercollider said. i opted to move the keys. it's amazing how much less your fingers have to move, but very odd at first. also, much faster to learn than a qwerty keyboard.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What version of Linux do you use and why? [Re: wilshire]
    #6281719 -

I have always been a Debian guy, but I kinda like Xandros (at least I can see other people on linux with it).

I keep meaning to try Ubuntu, I am just lazy and haven't gotten around to it yet.


--------------------
Setting standards based on the idiots of the world will only foster idiocy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* linux and windows Cracka_X 1,459 17 04/20/07 08:41 AM
by AlCapwn
* anyone know linux. dressel11 767 5 06/08/06 04:10 PM
by drbob
* getting started with linux *DELETED* Room4Shroom 950 7 09/27/06 08:20 PM
by Room4Shroom
* quick general linux question Epigallo 329 2 03/23/09 12:06 AM
by Epigallo
* Favorite Linux? Gr33nTree73 747 7 12/21/08 01:48 PM
by sam420
* Gentoo Linux Rules All! FreedomFight 710 6 11/27/05 10:22 PM
by Vvellum
* the Phychotrons Officaly Gonna start using Linux Thread
( 1 2 all )
Phychotron 3,740 31 06/06/05 05:47 AM
by MAIA
* Just Installed Windows 7 Penguarky Tunguin 601 11 10/22/09 09:47 PM
by Penguarky Tunguin

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,976 topic views. 2 members, 12 guests and 87 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.