Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Question about casing the mycellium cakes...
    #626425 - 05/11/02 04:15 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Greetings to all,

After several months of reading the various TEKs here at Shroomery and studying the different types of substrate recipes and such I'm finally ready to take the journey. The only question I still have and hopefully you can help me with is this:

a few teks say to take the mycellium cake and either cut it into slice or crumble it into an even layer over your casing mix. Then cover that layer with more of your casing mix. Others just place the cakes whole on top of either casing mix or just perlite. My question is this: is it better to break up the cakes and make a sandwich layer effect in the actual fruiting container? I see wonderful pictures on this site of beautiful flushes that are evenly disbursed across the whole container/tray and I'd like to know how people are doing that.

Secondly, this is the method I'm planning on using...if any advanced growers see any flaws please let me know.

I plan on using the PF-Tek as most guides recommend newbies do. I understand the importance of sterility and plan on taking 110% caution as I can to avoid contaminating my cakes. Once they are ready for birthing/fruiting...I plan on using small baking trays for different strains (gonna be using 2 different strains for my first attempt: Ecuadors and Puerto Ricans)...and all the trays will sit on a layer of water/peroxide-moistened perlite in one large translucent rubbermaid bin with indirect sunlight from the one window as their light source.

I really think that the crumbling up the cakes is a good idea and making a soil/vermiculite/mycellium sandwich is a good technique...but could anyone relate pro's/con's of this technique and anything to keep in mind while utilizing this method? I of course will keep clean and as sterile as possible while handling the mycellium. Would laytex gloves even be better for that step of casing??

Oh yeah! I almost forgot to ask this as well: should I just break down and buy a pressure cooker or can careful boiling/steaming with a large kitchen pot/lid work equally as well for sterilizing the jars and substrate at the beginning of the process?

Thanks in advance for all advice and tips.

Love & Light to you all,

Boppity

np: Vibrasphere - "Crystal" on Psychic Deli Record's Compilation "Psychedelic Electronica 2"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Question about casing the mycellium cakes... [Re: Boppity604]
    #626439 - 05/11/02 04:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I think it is much easier your first time to stick with simple cakes rather than getting into casing. Although casing isn't much harder, it is much easier to see what is happening on the cakes. Your first time growing, you are unsure what is happening... are those puffy things the start of mushrooms or the start of contamination... Adding in the casing gives you that many more things to try and learn at once.

The way growers get those nice looking flushes is practice and experience. As you get better at growing you will start to learn how to clone fruit and isolate growth. Even flushes seldom occur with multispore innoculations.

My friend always wears gloves when working with mycelium. After putting on the gloves, she washes her gloved hands with 99% isopropol alcohol which is allowed to evaporate.

If you think that you are going to enjoy growing as a hobby for a long time to come, I would recommend getting a pressure cooker. If you are unsure, and just trying this out to see, then I probably wouldn't waste the money until I was sure.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix