Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
White, Blue, Yellow.... Just me?
    #625586 - 05/03/02 11:32 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm still a bit confused as to how to decypher cobweb mold from healthy mycelium. My jars are now 100% colonized (well probably more like 99%) and each one looks different, but much alike... I'd take pics if i could, but I can't so I'll try to explain. The mycelium looks like... like cotton caught in an explosion or something- it looks healthy except that the cake might be a bit too moist as their is TINY hints of yellow. There is also some small hints of blue, which worries me but there is no smell coming from the incubator area or from the jar itself. I'm starting to see some pins so I'm getting ready to birth, and I'm wondering if I should chuck any of the cakes that look the smallest bit different, or if I'm just paranoid... Thanks

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: White, Blue, Yellow.... Just me? [Re: quack180]
    #625599 - 05/03/02 11:51 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My guess is that you are a first time grower and that you are just being paranoid. Tiny hints of yellow is normal at this point in the growth cycle. It can come from either excess moisture that has condensed on the inside of the jars reacting with the mycelium, or it can be waste byproducts that the mycelium has excreated. The small hints of blue are normal as well. It can come from either mycelium which is too dry, or from mycelium that has been compressed by nearby growth and is bruising.

From your descriptions, I wouldn't worry, but I would keep an eye on the suspect cakes after they are birthed. The yellow will probably disappear after they are removed from the jars in a day or so and the blue shouldn't change colors or wipe off. If you can wipe the blue off onto a paper towel wetted with a little 3% h2o2, then it is probably a spore containing contamination rather than bruising.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
Re: White, Blue, Yellow.... Just me? [Re: Seuss]
    #625633 - 05/03/02 12:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks man

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation