Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePachanguero
Stalled casing
    #583381 - 03/19/02 01:09 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Got a bit of B+ that got cased about 2 weeks ago (vermiculite, about 1/2 inch). It appears to have stalled. The mycelium does not seem to want to poke through, although it looks to have colonized most of the casing layer. I've tried spraying periodically with a H2O/H2O2 mixture (diluted), and have kept it around 80-85 degrees the whole time.

My puerto casing started last week is doing wonderfully.

Ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Stalled casing [Re: Pachanguero]
    #583383 - 03/19/02 01:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

what about light?
and how big is the casing (how many cakes/jars were used to make it)?

bigger casings take a longer time to pin, and puerto ricans are a very aggressive strain. i wouldn't use them as a refernce or guidline to any other strain.

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflinePachanguero
Re: Stalled casing [Re: XAZIA]
    #583387 - 03/19/02 01:22 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

No light. Still "incubating" since there are no white patches yet. I used one 1/2 pint cake, that's it.

I had read that it takes only a few days to 10-ish for a casing to at least get a few white patches. It's been 2 weeks without even one sign. Just a lil' worried about them.

Offlinebagmandsl
Re: Stalled casing [Re: Pachanguero]
    #583442 - 03/19/02 02:32 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

go ahead and begin fruiting, uncover and give a good misting and light flourescent is good, as well as good air exchange fanning several times a day and you should see fruits within a week

OfflinePachanguero
Re: Stalled casing [Re: bagmandsl]
    #583972 - 03/20/02 06:47 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks; I'll try it.

OfflinePachanguero
Re: Stalled casing -- Still stuck [Re: Pachanguero]
    #595340 - 04/01/02 08:46 AM (22 years, 20 days ago)

Well, the B+ casing still has nothing but maybe a *small* white patch. Both this one and a Hawaiian one were set to fruit about 2 weeks ago, though no mycelium was showing. Nothing. So they both went back into the closet to see if they'd grow a bit more.

This morning the Hawaiian (much more recent) had one weird mushroom pushing against the plastic wrap. The B+ casing still was unchanged. They have been misted; even tried injecting some water below the casing layer into the crumbled cake.

Any ideas?

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
    #595398 - 04/01/02 10:31 AM (22 years, 20 days ago)

i think you are confusing the hell out of your mycelium. it doesn't know what to do. first you told it to grow, then fruit, then grow again. if you have a casing made of only one 1/2 pt jar then you have probably ran out of food for the mycelium to eat. which is why is started colonizing the casing layer then seemed to stall. doesn't have anymore food to consume!

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

OfflinePachanguero
Re: Stalled casing -- Still stuck [Re: XAZIA]
    #597426 - 04/03/02 08:01 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

So do you think it's dead or can I try giving it something else to eat? Honeywater?

Or just craneberry-juice extract it and call it dead?

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
    #597515 - 04/03/02 10:37 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

YOU SHOULD STILL BE ABLE TO USE THE MYCELIUM TO SPAWN ANOTHER SUBSTRATE IF IT HASN'T DRIED OUT OR BECOME CONTAMINATED. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH TLC YOU ARE WILLING TO PUT IN IT TOO. YOU COULD DO LOTS OF WORK TO TRY TO SAVE IT AND STILL HAVE TO CHUNK IT.
sorry for all caps
anyways...usually when colonized substrate is used to spawn bulk substrate it goes from the jar to to a environmaent free from contaminants like it ws when it was colonizing in the jar. but you have a situation where your substrate has been cased with either sterile or nonsterile ( i don't know what the case is) vermiculite. but mostlyof all it has been exposed to contaminates. the air we breathe, i don't know if you have handle the substrate and to what degree. although it may not BE contaminated is could very well be HARBORING bacteria and mold that would love nothing more but for you to put them in a nice new home. you could sucessfully spawn more substrate without contams but you could also grow a bunch and mold and contaminate the mycelium you have now.
me personally, i'm pretty lazy! i had some pr casings that i had overlay problems with and rather than go through the hassle i just chunked em. send them back to nature i say. if i'm having that much trouble getting a casing to fruit i feel like it is asking to be returned to nature thats why it won't grow for me. or at least that how i rationalize throwing away the "sacred shroom". but it you do decide to throw it away at least do that much! don't throw it in your trash can in the house take it outside and return it to whence it came. you never know it may show its gratitude in wonderous ways late this spring

tell me this...what substrate did you use in the first place?

--------------------

Bob Marley

OfflinePachanguero
    #597533 - 04/03/02 10:59 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

BRF/Verm substrate, cased with pre-sterilized vermiculite only. I'm still really new at this, so I decided to stick with the basics. I wanted to test out both cakes and casings, so I did some of each.

I had also thought that perhaps I could just birth the whole thing and invert it onto the pearlite in the terrarium I have -- sort of like a giant cake.

Don't worry. I'm not tossing it into the trash. It'll either fruit for me or I may try to do a cran-extraction with it if all else fails (and no contams).

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
    #597608 - 04/03/02 12:20 PM (22 years, 18 days ago)

>I had also thought that perhaps I could just birth the whole thing and invert it onto the pearlite in the terrarium I have -- sort of like a giant cake.

i wouldn't do that. it will only dry out. your best bet is to recase and hope for the best. good luck!!

--------------------

Bob Marley

OfflinePachanguero
    #597617 - 04/03/02 12:28 PM (22 years, 18 days ago)

I'll try that. Thanks. Would a honey-water injection and/or dunk help?

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
    #599409 - 04/05/02 08:10 AM (22 years, 16 days ago)

honey water injection?????
and you cannot dunk a casing, only cakes!

--------------------

Bob Marley

OfflinePachanguero
    #599425 - 04/05/02 08:33 AM (22 years, 16 days ago)

I had thought I read here somewhere that you can dunk a casing if you have drainage holes in the bottom. Maybe I was mistaken?

A thought I had: fill a syringe with sterilized honey+water; inject into casing at various points. Wouldn't this provide additional nourishment?

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
    #599453 - 04/05/02 09:19 AM (22 years, 16 days ago)

i've never heard of the first one, some one else will have to help you with that one.
the second sounds interesting in theory but i don't if it would work or not. why don't you try it and let us know. or post a question maybe in advanced like...
'will injecting sterile honey water into a spent casing provide add'tl nourishment for continued fruiting?' i'm curious about this one.'
good luck!

--------------------

Bob Marley

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract