Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator
    #5742828 - 06/12/06 06:03 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator

35 minutes ago

CAPITOL HILL - Dwight Eisenhower was president when Robert Byrd was first elected to the Senate from West Virginia.

Today, the 88-year-old Byrd becomes the longest-serving senator in history, surpassing South Carolina's legendary Senator Strom Thurmond.

Byrd entered the Senate 47 years ago after serving 12 years in the state Legislature and the U.S. House of Representatives.

His time in the senate amounts to 17,327 days.

And while he uses two canes to get around and grieves over the recent loss of his wife of 69 years, Byrd is running for an unprecedented ninth term.

He bristles at questions about his age and stamina.

"Age does not affect me except in my legs," he says, adding "I've got a head up here that hasn't changed one iota in the last 25 years."

Byrd makes no apologies for directing huge amounts of federal money to West Virginia to pay for new highways, water projects, federal buildings and job training centers.

But he does admit to a few errors: he participated in an unsuccessful filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. And as a young man, he joined the Ku Klux Klan.

"I've got a head up here that hasn't changed one iota in the last 25 years."

:lolz0rz:

Couldn't have said it better!!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #5742929 - 06/12/06 06:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You should respect your elders

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: Basilides]
    #5743888 - 06/12/06 09:44 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Old white men....what a representation of our population!

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5744960 - 06/13/06 05:54 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

> You should respect your elders

There is a difference between opening a door for a little old lady, or giving up your seat on the tube for an elderly guy and allowing somebody that is unfit to hold a very important job simply because they are old.

> His time in the senate amounts to 17,327 days.

Gah. If there is one thing I despise, it is career politicians...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
    #5744984 - 06/13/06 06:26 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

His time in the senate amounts to 17,327 days.

Damn, that is longer than I have been alive and I'm not exactly young anymore.

InvisibleSimplicitry
Just another mushroom lover
Male

#12858544 - 07/06/10 07:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"I am a typical American, a southerner, and 27 years of age, and never in this world will I be convinced that race mixing in any field is good. All the social ‘do-gooders,’ the philanthropic ‘greats’ of this day, the reds and the pinks…the disciples of Eleanor…the pleas by Sinatra…can never alter my convictions on this question. I am loyal to my country and I know but reverence to her flag. BUT I shall never submit to fight beneath that banner with a negro by my side… Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds" Robert Byrd

I hope he suffered greatly in last hours

--------------------

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

I think we should cut all the social parasites from their welfare checks. Then they will either find a means to support themselves or starve to death, either of wich is good for the economy and society.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

"Islam in a man is worse then rabies in a dog"

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #12858559 - 07/06/10 07:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
Old white men....what a representation of our population!

From what I've heard he's not bad compared to many.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: Simplicitry]
    #12858563 - 07/06/10 07:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Simplicitry said:
"I am a typical American, a southerner, and 27 years of age, and never in this world will I be convinced that race mixing in any field is good. All the social ‘do-gooders,’ the philanthropic ‘greats’ of this day, the reds and the pinks…the disciples of Eleanor…the pleas by Sinatra…can never alter my convictions on this question. I am loyal to my country and I know but reverence to her flag. BUT I shall never submit to fight beneath that banner with a negro by my side… Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds" Robert Byrd

Hate seems to be a family value in this forum.:tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleSimplicitry
Male

Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: Icelander]
    #12858577 - 07/06/10 07:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Simplicitry said:

There are those who I love dearly, and those who I hate. That's just reality

--------------------

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

I think we should cut all the social parasites from their welfare checks. Then they will either find a means to support themselves or starve to death, either of wich is good for the economy and society.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

InvisibleSimplicitry
Male

#12858610 - 07/06/10 07:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What's really sad is that they kept electing this racist peice of shit. That says something about the people of West Virginia

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#12858695 - 07/06/10 08:13 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Simplicitry said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Simplicitry said:

Must have missed all the "dearly love" posts. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleSimplicitry
Male

#12858710 - 07/06/10 08:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Simplicitry said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Simplicitry said:

Must have missed all the "dearly love" posts. :shrug:

Well that's because I don't dearly love any anonymous internet posters.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#12858774 - 07/06/10 08:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah hate is a lot easier.

--------------------

Offlinecommuneart
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12860071 - 07/07/10 12:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

well i think he was a racist when he was 27, he said those things in 1949, of course politicians are full of shit and he probably still harbors those views. he was 42 when he voted for the philibuster. but oh well, cultural norms does shit like that.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: communeart]
    #12861182 - 07/07/10 10:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know that much about him but read where he said it was the biggest mistake of his career. I rarely hold things against people who really change. I leave that shit for the parole boards.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #12861733 - 07/07/10 12:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Simplicitry said:
What's really sad is that they kept electing this racist peice of shit. That says something about the people of West Virginia

Yeah, it says they will vote for a heinous racist slug as long as he kept bringing home federal money to their shithole of a state.

--------------------

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #12864741 - 07/07/10 10:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Simplicitry said:

So you hope people suffer if they have opinions that you disagree with?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: lines]
    #12865925 - 07/08/10 04:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

> So you hope people suffer if they have opinions that you disagree with?

With respect to Byrd, it was his actions, not his opinions, that made him an evil person.  He was an old-school racist that used his position of public trust to strong arm others into doing his bidding for personal gain and power.  Byrd exemplified everything that is wrong with modern politicians.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinecommuneart
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: Seuss]
    #12866065 - 07/08/10 06:37 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i'm sure there are alot of other people in congress who were just like him. especially back then. i'm not sure what is his attitude toward minorities anymore but i would prefer him if he was less racist than others who simply hide it since their political career started at more modern times.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: W.Va.'s Byrd now longest-serving senator [Re: Seuss]
    #12867699 - 07/08/10 02:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> So you hope people suffer if they have opinions that you disagree with?

With respect to Byrd, it was his actions, not his opinions, that made him an evil person.  He was an old-school racist that used his position of public trust to strong arm others into doing his bidding for personal gain and power.  Byrd exemplified everything that is wrong with modern politicians.

What particular examples are you talkking about, I am not familiar with the particular things this guy did.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder