Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZebedee
Stranger

Strain purity an issue?
    #566660 - 03/01/02 10:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I guess this is a question for someone who knows a lot about mushroom genetics. I don't pretend that I do, so please no flames.

I've heard it said that when preparing casings, you should not mix the contents of different jars colonised by multispore inoculations, as the resulting combined mycelia will tend to be less fruitful than if you had just cased the jars separately or the best jar had been used to colonise others. From what I think I understand (but quite probably I misunderstand) of cubie genetics from The Mushroom Cultivator, this would make sense. However, lots of people, including my friends, seem to mix jars inoculated by spore syringes without crops coming to any obvious harm. Is there any truth to the idea that you should not mix jars colonised by spores? Are people who do this getting lower yields than if they followed more rigorous procedures for strain isolation and / or cloning? And if so, what is the implication for the liquid mycelium tek which begins with a spore syringe - isn't it just as likely to give you a liquid mycelium culture which tends towards cottony growth and low yield as it is to give you a good culture? Should we newbies all be heading straight for agar work as soon as we want to go beyond the basic PF tek??

Thanks!

--------------------
Time for bed...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLSD_4me
addict
Re: Strain purity an issue? [Re: Zebedee]
    #566936 - 03/01/02 03:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

well, the yields would be better if you did an isolate thingie... but the thing your confusing this with is different strains, like amazonian and cambodian, you wouldnt want to mix two strains, but its not the same as mixing 2 different spore races...

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Strain purity an issue? [Re: Zebedee]
    #567086 - 03/01/02 06:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Some strains potentiate each other. Others compete. An isolated strain just guarantees that there will be no competition against strains. This isn't necessary with cubensis because it's a weed. I've seen plenty of casings from multispore jars that was filled with shroomies. Also, since the mycelium can flush several times, even if there is competition, you'll eventually end up with the same yield, unless of course you're hit by contamination.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation