Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetullycraft
Rye, oven bags, glove box
    #529334 - 01/23/02 05:56 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

So, I've been doing some research, and I have a few ideas I would like to get some feedback on.

I want to use a rye bulk tech, but I have a limited budget.

Anyway, I was thinking of using reynold's oven bags to sterilize rye grain in a pressure cooker. I went to the reynolds website, and it said that one shouldn't use their oven bags in pressure cookers because they might melt, but Hip's Bulk Tek indicated that they are heat resistant up to 400 degrees. So, what gives? The temperatures at 15 psi don't get that high do they?

Anyway, even if y'all think that pressure cooking grain in reynolds oven bags is a bad idea, is there anything wrong with filling the bags with rye grain and cooking it at 300 for an hour or so in the oven? That would kill all the bacteria, right? Especially if I soaked the rye for a day to activate any dormant spores...

I was thinking of building a cardboard glove box -- and to guard again the cardboard from soaking up moisture (which would compromise sterility), I was planning to line the inside of the box with plastic. It could be throughly sterilized with Lysol.

If I installed a small computer fan in the side of the box and had a plastic bottle protruding from the side of the box over the fan opening, I could place a filter patch over the far end of the bottle to prevent the fan from sucking in contams, right? The ones at Sporeworks are supposed to prevent 99 percent of airborne contams from gtting through.

Anyway -- I don't want to shell out 50 bucks for an impulse sealer, so I wanted to tranfser the sterilized rye from the oven bags to sterile quart jars. This is where the glove box comes in. I would sterilize the quart jars ahead of time and seal their lids. After the oven bags are cool enough to handle, I would place them inside the glove box with the now sterile quart jars, along with a fully colonized half pint jar of mushroomy goodness.

I would then pray some lysol around to kill anything that got in during the process of transferring the bags into the glove box from the oven. Then I would open the quart jars and the oven bags to transfer the rye grain. I would birth the cake, crumble it into little bits and place these bits into the quart jars, close the lids on the jars, and tumble it around.... and then take everything out and wait for paradise.

Does this sound like a good method? I could get all the materials I need for about 20 dollars.

tc

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhreakyPhry
Stranger
Loc: H-town, Texas
Re: Rye, oven bags, glove box [Re: tullycraft]
    #529884 - 01/24/02 06:26 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

OVEN BAGS.....................................
I've pressure cooked Reynolds oven bags for over an hour and they did not melt. I wrapped the bag in a towel so that it would not come in contact with the pot. Also, I used two oven bags. The problem I had with using oven bags was that the substrate would not colonize. I tried using spore water and mycillium, but both flopped. However, I should mention that there was no contamination even months after I autoclaved. I think the reason it would not colonize is because the oven bags provide no air exchange whatsoever. Although you seem to intend to transfer it to jars afterwards. I do not understand the raison d'etre for doing this -- why not just sterilize the jars in the first place and skip the transfer. Maybe you have jars that are bigger than your pressure cooker?

CARDBOARD GLOVE BOX....................................
My cardboard glove box works great. What I did to keep it from getting soggy was to spray it with a coat of "sprayable fixative" (sold at art/craft stores) and then wallpapered it with heavy duty aluminumn foil. I like your idea of using an old computer fan to make a poor man's HEPA filter. You can buy the HEPA filter refills for pretty cheap (compared to buying a full HEPA system). I'm going to try this.

--------------------
Surfing the in4mation neural HIGHway!
-you do not grow them
-they do not grow you
-you grow together

Offlinetullycraft
Re: Rye, oven bags, glove box [Re: PhreakyPhry]
    #529927 - 01/24/02 07:48 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

You guessed right -- quart jars are way too big for my pressure cooker, and since I don't want to spend 70 for a bigger one, I'd rather start with bags and then transfer to jars.

OfflineMklangelo
enthusiast
Loc: Continental United States
    #530095 - 01/24/02 11:08 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Won't the oven dry the shit out of the grain? I did a couple of oven bags of BRF and was just a bit light on the moisture when I mixed it up and it was almost BONE dry when I pulled it out.

--------------------
[red] Life:[/red][blue] Live it foward, understand it backward...[/blue]

OfflinePhreakyPhry
Stranger
Re: Rye, oven bags, glove box [Re: Mklangelo]
    #530110 - 01/24/02 11:34 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I also used the oven and even the microwave in my oven bag experiments and found it dried out my substrate too much.

I think Tullycraft plans on using a pressure cooker or boiling it. This worked for me -- except that I couldn't colonize. But, since Tullycraft wants to transfer it to jars (which can allow the proper aeration for the aerobic mycilium) then it should be a viable means. Perhaps an effective approach to the transfer problem would be to add some H2O2 to the substrate after it has been autoclaved. I've been using H2O2 for about a year now and rarely do I ever get contams even when sloppy. My tek is to use baby food jars to start the spores. The baby food jars are dirt cheap (25 cents) and colonize so fast that they don't have time to get contaminated. Then I spoon out the mycilium from the baby food jars (in my glove box of course) into a ziplock bag with some H2O2 + water mix. I close the bag and mix up the mycilium with the water to make a mash. Then I quickly dump the mash into the big ass jars of substrate that I've already autoclaved and shake it up. This method has worked wonderfully for me every time.

--------------------
-you do not grow them
-they do not grow you
-you grow together

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
    #530183 - 01/24/02 01:00 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Sweet jesus man? i had 2 50cfm bathroom fans (the kind you cut holes in your roof and vent outside) venting through a 1' square and 1" thick hepa... that didnt even blow air through it. Dont bother fucking around with nigger rigs like that.
Go buy yourself the real fucking thing. i got one for 59.99 at walmart, the intake is on the front, adn the blower is on the top (so are the controls) it has 2 fan settins, and an ionizer! i'm sure yuo cna get one for 39.99 american ( i live in canada)
but good luck otherwise getting fans that are quiet enough, and powerful enough to blow through a hepa replacement.
My advice, dont mess around with your hepa filters.

Offlinetullycraft
Re: Rye, oven bags, glove box [Re: cookiewhore]
    #530339 - 01/24/02 04:58 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I'm planning to use a filter disk, not a hepa filter on the glove box.

OfflinePhreakyPhry
Stranger
Filter Disk Flow [Re: tullycraft]
    #530940 - 01/25/02 10:52 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Please let us know how that filter disk fan combo works. Sounds like it should be a cheap HEPA substitute. Also, if you have any problems with the electronics I might be able to help (degree in Computer Science and i'm an electronics hobbiest).

--------------------
-you do not grow them
-they do not grow you
-you grow together

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Rye, oven bags, glove box [Re: cookiewhore]
    #531159 - 01/25/02 03:44 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I do believe it's "African American" rigs.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #531752 - 01/26/02 07:02 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Just some advice:
Weigh down your oven bag so that it does'nt billow up and plug up your pressure release valve!

Offlinetullycraft
Re: Rye, oven bags, glove box [Re: Pinhead]
    #532127 - 01/26/02 02:28 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I'll let everyone know how the filter/fan thing works out.  I'll be starting my first grow in two years in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice about preventing the oven bag from plugging up the valve.

Anyway... I'm also interesting in knowing in anyone has ever used the mini greenhouse I saw on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1327462892

I really want to try out a shelf system of some kind, and this looks pretty good.

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
    #532559 - 01/27/02 12:09 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

you can get a pressure cooker at wal-mart for $50 ... will fit 3 quart jars per session

best deal

-j

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
Re: Rye, oven bags, glove box [Re: Pinhead]
    #547630 - 02/11/02 08:15 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I had this exact thing happen to me!!!!
I use autoclavable biohazardous waste disposable bags for my casing sterilization. What happened was, i had 5 x 1.5qt jars in the bottom, and threw in the a/c bag which had about 15cups of substrate in it, and the pressure release hole sucked it right up inside and started melting it.
I used the case anyway, but next time i'll tape it down like i used to
these bags i use are too high anywa

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags