Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Oyster mushroom? Some other Pleurotis? I can only hope!
    #5207979 -

I found me a mushroom... so far I think it's an oyster... if so, it'd be my first edible wild mushroom that I knowingly found. =)

Habitat: Maryland, growing on some sort of vine-like tree thing that was growing into another tree, looked deciduous(I know I spelled that wrong... I had to have.) Maybe still alive? Hard to tell during the winter.
Gills: Decurrent, White, turning yellowish on really old specimins.
Stem: Really thick, with a bunch growing into one big tuft.
Cap: Really smooth, brownish, sizes ranged from a bit bigger than a half dollar, to about twice that size.
Spore Print: I just checked it after four hours... it's not a really nice one, but from what I can see, it looks white.
Scent: It smells like the oyster mushrooms, the one time I got them at the store, only not as potent.

Here's some pictures...







Those are all of the same mushrooms... there was one other growing out of the tree, but it was being eaten by bugs, so I figured I'd take pictures of the best one.

Any chance I'm close on what I think it is? :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oyster mushroom? Some other Pleurotis? I can only hope! [Re: Nixtrus]
    #5208083 -

Nice Oysters!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oyster mushroom? Some other Pleurotis? I can only hope! [Re: shroomydan]
    #5208145 -

Thanks! =) I was pretty sure they were, I just wanted someone else's opinion before I went and said "Hey, I found me some oysters!" Wooo! My first edible wild mushroom. :laugh:

While I'm thinkin' of it, is there any particular mushrooms I should look out for when lookin' for oysters? Or do they not have too many difficult look-a-likes?

Edited by Nixtrus (01/21/06 09:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oyster mushroom? Some other Pleurotis? I can only hope! [Re: Nixtrus]
    #5208322 -

There are quite a few little fleshy shelf mushrooms which could be mistaken for oysters; Crepidotus applanatus comes to mind.

Pleurocybella porrigens, also known as Angel Wings and Sugihiratake, might also be mistaken for oysters. Though many field guides list it as edible, Pleurocybella porrigens should not be eaten. 17 people died in Japan a few years ago from eating Sugihiratake .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oyster mushroom? Some other Pleurotis? I can only hope! [Re: Nixtrus]
    #5215751 -

That's great that you found some oysters in late Jan, around here.
The latest that I have ever seen them was some time in Feb.
The conditions haven't been good enough for that late of a fruiting in a long time.


--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Some kind of Oyster mushroom? RoadkillM 3,175 13 11/14/02 06:11 PM
by viscid
* Hoping for Oyster? Paid 2,366 17 07/04/03 03:50 AM
by Paid
* Im about to cry... The mushroom god hates me =[ whole9 1,407 7 06/22/03 05:52 PM
by TxTec
* Oysters in the Garage egghead 2,371 12 07/17/01 10:01 AM
by fuzzysquirelnuts
* Mushrooms that bruise blue and aren't active... ToxicManM 23,216 18 05/14/17 01:55 AM
by Alan Rockefeller
* Suspected psychoactive Pluteus mushroom. GGreatOne234 2,795 13 02/14/02 05:56 PM
by GGreatOne234
* I found GLOW IN THE DARK mushrooms! MindTrap 2,243 6 10/05/02 05:08 PM
by MindTrap
* Oregon Mushroom ID five3four 1,790 7 05/17/03 08:29 PM
by five3four

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
3,090 topic views. 0 members, 12 guests and 38 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.