Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) ***UPDATE***
    #5174608 -

UPDATE

Well I went shrooming tonight around 1 AM. This was my first hunt, so I will give a "hunt report." lol.

I pulled up in the back of the church. As soon as I pulled in I was in shock because a parked 18-wheeler was on the side of the building. At first I was obviously thinking about leaving. I parked my car in the back, unseen and sat and had some thought. I calmed down, called my girlfriend and thought it through. I sat in the car for about 7 minutes. After 7 minutes of no signs of any cops or anything, I got the balls to grab my flashlight and specimen bag.

I preceeded out of the car and jump the ditch. When looking at the place at Google Earth, the ditch looked fairly small.... jumpable. When I got to the ditch, I realized that it was a long ways to the other side. I'd guess 10-15 feet. I walked the ditch and saw a log. I walked in the water for a second, then hit the log and went to the other side. I checked to make sure the fence was not electric, and preceeded to cross the fence.

Once I crossed the fence, I realised the mystical atmosphere. The moon was bright, with clouds hoovering over me. The field was huge, much larger than I once thought. When I saw the first view of the field, I felt as safe and confident as could be. I always read about the mystical part of hunting, but never really understood it until I saw my first glance of a large field. I then walked the tree line near the fence. It was as though there was a dirt trail beside the fence, it was amazing.

As I kept walking, I started to see my first patties. I grabbed my flashlight and took a closer look. I did not see any mushrooms on the patties. So I kept walking down the path and looking at patties, no luck. I noticed that the grass had just been cut, this was apparent because there were tire marks in some of the piles of dung. This was discouraging indeed.

I kept moving down the path, and looked at about 10 patties. Well, I knew for a fact none were out. So I saw a pattie with a stick through it, and flipped it. I saw no signs whatsoever of colonization. I flipped about a total of 3 patties, about 5-10 yards apart. As I got about 10 yards from the feeding pond, I was ready to leave. I saw some strange white object on a pattie and decided to take a look. It was strange, a white bag over and in a little bit of a pile of dung. I found this rather odd.

I often checked high grassed areas and huge piles of dung. No luck in those areas as well. I did not venture but about 10-15 yards at most from the fence. I walked a single path, about a total of 30-40 yards.

On my way back I saw 1 or maybe 2 patties with suspicious development in it. However, it could of not been colonization because I did not see white.

In the end of my first adventure I came out empty handed. I am not saden by this at all. I found this to be a wonderful first time, and learned a lot on my first hunt. I discovered the actual beauty in hunting... hearing the cows, listening to the crickets and having a good time. The field looked liked it would definitely be inhabited with cubes in the summer time. The grass was a rich green, and most of the grass around here is brown and baron. It was a rich field, and very nice. I plan to go in the spring, when it warms up just a bit and there is more rain. We have been through a 1 month drought, and the little rain and humidity we had, the ground soaked it up. The field was fairly or slighlty wet, and I would have assumed it'd be soaking due to the dew everywhere.

Anyways thanks for reading, and in the near future if I go again, I will share my experience and maybe try to bring a camera.


**********************************************************************
Hey guys. Well tonight I think I will go on my first hunt. Here's the details:

First off I live midstate Louisiana. I will be going early this morning (not day light for sure). I am parking behind this church, and there are no houses immediately surrounding the place. The field is right across from the church. You must jump a small creek and go through the fence, which is surrounded by a tree line on that side. I'd say the distance between the end of the field and the farmer's house is about .25 miles. And in order for the farmer to reach me, he'd have to drive 3-4 miles to get to that church. Or of course drive an ATV, in which I could outrun it to the small distance to my car.

So my question... does this sound safe? This field is known by very few to produce. It's been 70-75 degrees with rain 2 nights ago and 100 % humidity all day. I will park behind this church, meaning no one on the road can see me. I will stay by the tree line, using a flashlight only when needed, and point it towards my car with my body in front of the light, if I use it. Another thing, the flashlight's batteries are low, so it won't be that bright. I am hoping the moon will guide me, but considering it's cloudy and most likely foggy, I might not be that lucky.

Some benefits I see in this place is the parking, tree line, creek and also there is a small feeding pond in the field near the trees, which the cows drink from. So between the trees, humidity and that pond, there may be some cubes tonight.

So, would you guys think this will be a good place to start for the first time? I am not going in thinking I will definatly find mushrooms, but I have a feeling that something may be there. I will check near the trees/pond, and if there is nothing there, it's not worth going further...

Thoughts? Yes or no? Comments will be helpful, thanks.

Edited by Nexus555 (01/13/06 01:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: Nexus555]
    #5174671 -

I would definately go if i were you but be careful. stay near the trees. the conditions sound very promissing for cube hunting as long as that field has been recently active. bring saome sciccors, a camera, and only use the light for very short periods of time. check the tree line vry good and in patches of tall grass. if there is an area of the field where the cows can chill in the woods then check there. Good Luck


--------------------
     

                                                                  thats right cubes in december bitches

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #5174690 -

also, jsut keep telling yourself that you are going to find cubes. keep it in your head that you know there will definately be cubes out there and look very carefully. if you arent finding some at first then dont give up hope, sometimes they are pretty hard to find, especuially at night. also they might grow really well in one part of the field but not at all in others. if one spot is cubeless then just check another, dont give up. remeber, you ARE going to find cubes.


--------------------
     

                                                                  thats right cubes in december bitches

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #5174735 -

Thanks a bunch man. I will be heading out a little later. I have a big ziplock freezer bag for specimens. I think it will work good, lots of storage room and not nosey compared to bags. I have the flashlight, my steel-toe work boats for extra support to my ankles and reduce chance of slipping. My camera is dead, so I will be leaving that. One time I went there to shroom, but there was a car parked at the church late at night. However it was Wednesday, a day people go to church. It is Thursday and I am hoping no one is there. If I see one car, or if I think anybody finds me suspicious, I will not go. Thanks a lot, wish me luck, cheers!!

PS, the small feeding pond is near the tree line. Does this sound like the best spot to find shrooms? Will the extra water from the pond help and the woodchips help fertilizing? Thanks

Edited by Nexus555 (01/12/06 11:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: Nexus555]
    #5175762 -

you should definately go back and look harder. not every patty is capable of growing cubes, it must be aged (be there for 3 years or so, is what i heard) before cubes can grow from it. also, jsut because its the right temp and there is cow poop doesnt mean it is capable of growing cubes. there is a government regulated cow feed that prevents fungus from growing. but the bag you found is pob a sign of somebody else picking so they might have gotten to it before you did also. are you sure the field has been active? the farmer could have been picking them too... also if you do find some, the best thing i think to collect shrooms in is some kind of picnic basket or burlap sack that way if you do find some the spores can fall through the holes as your walking through the field and spread the love.


--------------------
     

                                                                  thats right cubes in december bitches

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: Nexus555]
    #5175883 -

Nexus555 said:
I have a big ziplock freezer bag for specimens.




I recommend you use a paper bag instead of a ziplock, the mushrooms could possibly turn into goo lol Good luck on your next hunt

Edited by elementalpunk (01/13/06 09:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: elementalpunk]
    #5176337 -

use a shoebox. definately dont use a paper bag, last time i used one i had about 30 shrooms in it and my freind walked up to me and looked in my bag said there was a hole in it(caused by the wetness and the weight of the shrooms). i had to back track there was a trail of mushrooms behind me.


--------------------
     

                                                                  thats right cubes in december bitches

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #5177061 -

pillowcase!!! best thing perhaps


--------------------
:potleaf: :tendshroom: :potleaf:
:leaf::peyotespectrum::leaf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: misterogerz]
    #13101558 -

Ok i got some advice on this forum so ima give ya some. I went out bout 6 times now in the last 2 months. ALL of the mushies i found were @ the treeline, all of them(or under a tree). you dont want fresh patties. you want 1's that have roots growin in em and you want to go after it rains for a day or so, otherwise your luck will be none. The times ive gone were after it raines and once when it didnt for like a week. and the time it didnt rain, I found nothing. and another thing is dont 4get your glasses if you dont have 20/20. Also, the time i always found mushies was when there were puddles in the field. I strongly recommend you go 10-40 mins before the sun is up so you have  chance to check out the field, and get in place before the sun begins to rise. Don't keep your light on all the time( the field i went to is next to a major highway LOL) so i put my hand around the tip of the light so only a little gets through when i see a white object. I got mad excited the first time i came out and dam i was seriously dissapointed, no lie. the 2nd time i was so happy because i found about 20 so-so size caps. The 3rd time i went was w/ my bro and we found these Huge caps bout the size of my palm. I just went today and found about 15 meanies and 15 cubes  and I brought the cow patties the shrooms were growin in home. I really recoomend you do this becuase they will grow if you mist them real good 1-2 times a day pending on how dry it is out(the patties) what you wanna do is put it in a 24 hour shaded area if possible. Once you get 1 mushroom put it on some tin foil and put a cup over it and leave it under a dark place for about 5 hours. you'll get a spore print which will help you identify them and once you do id them wipe that print all over the cow patties you took home(be sure to break up the patties). pm me if you want further advise from some1 who just started this adventure to

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: To go or not to go? That is the question. (advice) [Re: fromeast]
    #13105866 -

Lol old thread :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I need advice MushroomHunta 1,056 4 10/30/02 11:27 AM
by Unity333
* Re: Questions for mushroom hunters Psylosymon 4,948 4 12/05/99 04:53 PM
by AIRDOG
* churches Wiener 869 3 10/29/03 06:59 PM
by mjshroomer
* need picking advice on private property wacked 2,309 12 01/09/03 03:06 PM
by megaman3
* Little Advice! WhiteCranberry 1,021 7 08/09/03 09:12 PM
by ToxicMan
* Hunters the Shroomery needs your advice.
( 1 2 3 4 all )
ThorA 17,455 68 02/16/04 01:56 PM
by Anno
* A question about Weiliis (pict)...
( 1 2 all )
jahfeelirie 3,511 21 10/31/02 03:36 PM
by
* Amanitas, found some - a few questions...updated with pics! Ajoc 2,394 17 10/12/03 03:44 PM
by Ajoc

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,177 topic views. 1 members, 7 guests and 57 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.