Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineexile
Loc: USA, VA
How will this do?
    #507995 - 01/02/02 04:42 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hey - I'm new from www.overgrow.com

Want to try my luck at growing shrooms --

I went to Lowes today and thought about picking up some sort of containing piece for the tubs or aquariums, whichever I use. It was a cabinent with two doors in the front and a shelf, each shelf would house a ten gallon glass aquarium with some extra space. The thing is, I hear from many grow guides and such that you need to use a slanted piece of glass inside of the aquarium to create some seal and further produce humidity..something like that. I'm not too wild about having glass custom cut for this project, so I figure I'll use some clear bodied/lidded rubbermaid type deal.

For lighting, keep in mind I have no idea how much (lumens) shrooms need to thrive, if any.. I figured I'd put in one compact floro per shelf in the corner... and have it on for a short period of time per day, however long they need. My question is - is this too much light (a cpt floro), and how long should they be exposed to light per day?

I think if I can keep the cakes clean and healthy I'll be fine and figure it out from there, but just wanted some lighting suggestions primarily, and also container ideas/approval.

Thanks,

X

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegolesss
veteran
Re: How will this do? [Re: exile]
    #508007 - 01/02/02 04:58 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, overgrow is a great site! Welcome to the shroomery..First knowledge is king with growing mushrooms, an elaborate set-ups do not always produce more than a penny pinching set-up..Read tons and it will go smooth, since you are from overgrow I would assume you have green thumbed a bit.. Mushrooms are not light hungry and infact they are so sensisitive you can use a flashlight to tell them where to grow...If I was completely new, I would purchase a cheap rubbermaid container to case in, vermiculite, uncle bens brown rice, 1/2 pint jars, a syringe, and some lysol...You don't need expensive pressure cookers or aquarrium when using rice and casing....Just read, this site is so full of info. it's great...Have fun, and see ya round...........

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

OfflineFatSean
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: How will this do? [Re: egolesss]
    #508014 - 01/02/02 05:05 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The slanted piece of glass inside the aquarium is not necessary. Don't worry about it. Just read up on how to properly mist the cakes, and you'll see that you don't need the glass. Big rubbermaids works good, so don't overspend on aquariums.

Don't worry about the light yet. These aren't like pot plants, their light cycle isn't as demanding. 10 minutes per day of any kind of light when you want to start pinning is all you need.

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: How will this do? [Re: exile]
    #508032 - 01/02/02 05:18 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

lining your grow chamber on the top with christmas lights works more than well enough. just get clear box tape and tape it to the ceiling(s). use a rubbermaid bin with the center section cut out to allow light in and seal it off with plexiglass glued to the top of the container where the light hole is. use some of your perlite that you probably already have to line the bottom of your container (and add water to it) and you will never have to mist; ever. humidity will be 95-100 almost always except when you open to fan. just make sure you fan the setup to allow air exchange; O2 is key for pin/fruit formation

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: How will this do? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #508761 - 01/03/02 08:04 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

so can i take credit for my Xmas light tek? ha ha ha
BTW i would go by them now since xmas lights are cheaper than dirt right now.
peace, ar393

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #508804 - 01/03/02 09:34 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

well i was unsure who takes 'credit' for the 'tek' of christmas lights. i just know that they produce light and ive used them before. i apologize butu i do remember your post a while ago where you proposed the use of them and i have used them before that also. either way they will stil work.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
    #508873 - 01/03/02 11:50 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I was pretty much kiddin'
peace, ar393

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom