Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Flower power can be deadly [CA]
    #4958940 - 11/20/05 06:40 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Flower power can be deadly
By Nisha Gutierrez
November 20, 2005 - whittierdailynews.com

COVINA - Derrik Chidley heard good and bad stories about getting high from an angels' trumpet flower.

But he decided to test the effects on his own.

The 18-year-old was alone on a Friday night at his uncle's Covina home. He said he became curious.

"I went to my neighbor's yard and picked four flowers that I knew were angels' trumpets," Chidley said. "I put on a movie, put the flowers in a pot and boiled them so I could make tea from it."

The angels' trumpet flower is often found in home gardens and is known for its distinct fragrance.

Experts said all parts of the plant are poisonous.

"I remember feeling hot so I took off my jacket and then it felt like I was floating and then I started gagging," Chidley said. "I couldn't breathe, like when you get the wind knocked out of you."

Chidley said he tried repeatedly to stand up but was unable to maintain his balance and kept falling over.

"I felt like I was going to die, like I was suffocating. I kept freaking out but I thought it was just the high so I tried to make myself relax," he said.

Chidley drank the tea around 11 p.m. His cousin found him passed out in the bathroom a few hours later.

"They thought he was overdosing on LSD because of the way he was reacting," Chidley's mother, Christina, said.

Earlier this month, Chidley was released from San Dimas Community Hospital after being treated as a drug overdose patient for four days.

Christina Chidley said hospital nurses told her about other teens who were admitted for ingesting angels' trumpets. Many of them didn't survive.

"It was so scary, he could've died. The nurses kept telling me how lucky I was," Christina Chidley, 36, said. "As a mom I feel compelled to let other parents know about the dangers of this flower."

While Christina Chidley said she wants to warn parents about how dangerous plants and flowers can be, her son said he didn't feel like he should tell others what to do.

"I don't want to give advice because people gave me advice and I still did what I wanted to do, but I do feel lucky that I woke up," Chidley said.

Dr. Martin Stoner, a professor of botany at Cal Poly Pomona, said that people should think twice before experimenting with plants and flowers.

"The trouble is most people are ignorant about plants and their chemistry. Experimentation is risky business," said Stoner, who specializes in poisonous plants. "The hallucinations caused from angels' trumpet are there, but they come at a very painful experience."

Chidley said although he feels healthy, he has noticed a side effect.

"About twice a week I'll smell something, and it'll smell like when I was boiling the flower - really nasty. It makes my stomach feel sick, but other than that I am fine," he said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Flower power can be deadly [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #4959400 - 11/20/05 10:24 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

<<Dr. Martin Stoner, a professor of botany at Cal Poly Pomona>>

Perfect name for his profession

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale