Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
I Don't Like Tool...
    #4934464 -

...but I want to. Everyone praises them so much, saying that they're artistic geniuses, but the few songs I've heard seem boring and too "heavy." Please help me see the light and recommend THE song that will change my opinion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4934658 -

Reflection did it for me.... but that's because it is much mellower than most of their tunes, and I'm quite a mellow guy.

So i'd reccomend Reflection.


--------------------
"my old friend told me
to do well always
set your sails, open
ride your waves, flowing
just relax, sober
leave you past, it's over
bind two hands, stronger
my soul waits, forward" - Arjun and Guardians

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4934671 -

Tool songs:
The riffs and notes are just really long expressions. The songs can be frustrating because they sound like they are building up and leading into new things but then they just REPEAT, but this is when you realize that this is why tool KICKS ASS. The songs just reinforce the heaviness over and over. All their songs sound like they have dormant anger lying in them.

I burned a mix a few months ago, on it were
Aenema
Schism

I can't remember the other songs' names.... just do a search for TOOL on any p2p network and download the 10 most popular songs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4934696 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 05:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4934714 -

Yrtlzmo said:
I don't think it's worth it to try to make yourself like a group, especially one such as Tool.

The name of the band refelcts the type of fanbase they've acquired really well.

Most Tool fans are way too dedicated to such a mediocre band.

"Maynard is a genius" is the first thing I think of when I think of Tool fans.



I agree with that, but not all of them are complete retards.

It really is kind of a waste to make yourself like any band though, either you do or you don't. Just because other people listen to it doesn't mean you should like it.


--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.


:rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: Harbinger]
    #4934727 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 05:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4934836 -

I love some of their songs. Parabol/Parabola are probably my favs, with Lateralus being really close. I'm just attracted to the style of drumming, mostly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4934846 -

If they end up on tour again go and see them live if you can. That should help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4934874 -

me neither.

:shrug:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: wilshire]
    #4935004 -

Dose 5 grams, listen to the Lateralus album.  Listen to the lyrics and the especially the drumming.  Then get back to me....mmmkay?  :smile:

Seriously though, Tool is amazing sober, and completely mind boggling while tripping.  Some of my toughest and most deeply spiritual trips have been while Lateralus is playing.  Sometimes the light hearted Ozric Tentacles or majestic Shpongle doesn't work out and something heavy is needed, but still something with spirtitual, thought provoking lyrics.  Tool does this for me.  :shrug: :shrug:


Quote:
I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole,
Defeated, I concede and
Move closer
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
How pitiful

It's calling me...

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping
The moon tells me a secret - my confidant
As full and bright as I am
This light is not my own and
A million light reflections pass over me

Its source is bright and endless
She resuscitates the hopeless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting

And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.





Come on, those lyrics are absolutley beautiful. :thumbup:


McKennaDMT  :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4935114 -

it's ok to not like tool

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4935417 -

Listen to Lateralus -- the whole album -- preferably while on some sort of psychedelic. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will. It's my absolute favorite tripping album.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4935628 -

Um, ok. Let me go ahead and say that if you judge a band based on its name.. particularly THIS band.. you are the type of fool that they didn't want as a fan anyway. You would be the type of person they named their band after in the first place.

You are a fucking tool.



anyway.. like paradigm said.. give Lateralus a listen, and if you can dig it, then listen to Aenima. and if you like that.. well.. then anything else they do should float your boat. if not.. then stop trying. cause it ain't gonna happen.

but there is simply no reason to generalize tool's fanbase.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4935649 -

maybe it just isn't your taste, don't worry just listen to music you like :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: idiotek]
    #4935682 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 05:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4935687 -

I didn't like them much when I first heard them. It wsn't untill I really started listening to them that their music hit me. Listen to Lateralus, that album isn't "heavy" compared to some of their music.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: stefan]
    #4935692 -

tool is still overrated.

i like tool sometimes, but they are nothing special enough to "make" yourself like.


--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: A0999]
    #4935769 -

I agree, it's OK to not like Tool.

not to sound insulting to their fans, but i personally just feel that the overall sound that Tool produces is simply vapid. it just doesn't move me much, on any kind of spiritual or emotional level  :confused:

There are hundreds and hundreds of great musical artists/bands out there...why so many people choose Tool as a band to worship...beats me!

oh yeah, about the comment someone made about how "The songs can be frustrating because they sound like they are building up and leading into new things but then they just REPEAT, but this is when you realize that this is why tool KICKS ASS."

^ that is exactly the opposite of what good music, at least good rock music, is supposed to achieve...

A great song (usually) builds and builds and builds until it reaches this powerfully divine moment, abrupt and brief or gradual and drawn-out...whatever...but the music reaches this powerful moment, a breaking point if you will. if you really think about this, you'll realize that MOST of the greatest music contains this type of build-up and release of energy.


--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

Edited by Soularize (11/15/05 01:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Soularize]
    #4935972 -

Tool really hits me on an emotional level, thats why I like them.

"good music" thats different for everyone. When I listen to tool I feel a peak in their music, I don't know if some don't hear it or if it's a personal thing, but it sends shivers through my body and I've never had music do that to me before.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4936005 -

Yrtlzmo said:
it's a very simple musical group



MAYBE you dont see or understand its complexity like some people..

i cant judge cuz i dont understand music very well but all i can say that when i listen to Tool it feels very comfortable and unique.
and that feeling synchronized with lyrics(and more stuff) makes for me first-rate high-quality band.

oh well, some people like brown some white chocolate.
and if you consume much of one kind the other one might seem more tasty at that time.


--------------------

end

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Tool's Lateralus
( 1 2 3 all )
Sclorch 5,684 40 11/24/03 11:01 AM
by chunder
* SHOW YOUR TOOLS AND SKILLS. (A.H.P. COMP.) Fliquid 1,161 13 03/03/03 01:54 AM
by doCtR_diSCreeT
* tool
( 1 2 all )
g0dmoney 3,302 26 01/22/03 05:52 PM
by Murex
* Tool Movie? neverwhere 699 2 06/07/01 06:01 AM
by Tec-9
* Re: Tool Anonymous 1,442 8 06/09/00 02:26 AM
by Anonymous
* New TOOL CD.. ThirdEye0pen 1,054 2 09/06/01 09:45 PM
by sHemp13
* Don Juan LittleBen 1,497 11 09/29/02 04:28 AM
by Xlea321
* TooL & The Spirit of Cannabis EuphoricBlue 1,400 15 05/06/03 05:17 AM
by Sheepish

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
3,774 topic views. 1 members, 1 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.