Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEuphorian_Icon

Loc: Sector 00?b Of 2nd Heaven
Why case? *DELETED*
    #485121 - 12/09/01 02:25 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Euphorian_Icon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
Re: Why case? [Re: Euphorian_Icon]
    #485142 - 12/09/01 02:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

your yields will increase far more than plain cakes... sometimes 3 an 4 flushes... . if you mist after a flush. Once you case you`ll never go back to just cakes sitting there naked in the terrarium.. In my humble opinion

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Edited by Numba9 (12/09/01 02:48 PM)

Offlineatoning_unifex
bovine entity

Re: Why case? [Re: Numba9]
    #485175 - 12/09/01 03:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

is it possible to case after the first flush???
or does this do too much damage to the mycelial structure...

--------------------
" time is a drug.... too much will kill you"

......Ballad of Atoning Unifex.....

At the age of 30 something
he realised
he'd never ride
through london
in a black cab
with weird drugs
in his veins......

OfflineEuphorian_Icon

Loc: Sector 00?b Of 2nd Heaven
Re: Why case? *DELETED* [Re: Euphorian_Icon]
    #485292 - 12/09/01 06:04 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Euphorian_Icon

OfflineMrBrown
Re: Why case? [Re: atoning_unifex]
    #485299 - 12/09/01 06:18 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I cased after my first flush and im getting good results.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #485313 - 12/09/01 06:37 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I have often wondered the same thing. One does not HAVE to case for the fruits to emerge. From what I gather, all casing does is speed up the fruiting and does it in more of a timely mannor. I have seen straw cakes that were 100% straw and rye spawn. It might take a few months for the 'shrooms to pop, and then you wont get a lot of them at one time. It's like they take longer to fruit, then take longer to flush. However, in the end, I cant tell how casing increases the yield at all. And casing can increase the likelyhood of mold containamations when compared to.. ah say a fully conlinized "straw cake" with no casing.

I'm not a big fan of casing at all. To me, it's too much work that can increase the likelyhood of mold containamation. The HydraPod Tek is starting to look more interesting now. However, I believe that 100% straw cakes would kick those PF stlye cakes in the ass in a HydraPod.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (12/09/01 07:05 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Why case? [Re: Jammer]
    #485328 - 12/09/01 06:57 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, which is why I recommend using straw cakes for the pod if one can manage.

Cased tray culture has it's own list of problems to deal with in a small-scale setup. If you are going to case your substrate, then I highly recommend the use of constant fresh air exchange and even entrainment to stay rid of contams.

Co2 will settle down onto the casing surface in pockets and cause contams to breed very easily. A good mix of o2 and co2 is very important if you plan to stay clear of contams.

Keep in mind that cased tray cultures are designed for use with bulk cult apps and not for the small scale grower. You will most likely have to make accomodations to your grow space in order to support a cased culture.

If your grow space is less than ideal then you may have better results from casing your cakes. But, it's no guarantee. If your grow space is ideal, then there is no really no reason to case your culture in the first place. It would only be a waste of time and nutrition (referring to the additional time and nutrition required to colonize the casing layer before fruiting).

-Mycotek

Offlinemastreo
journeyman
    #485606 - 12/10/01 12:00 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I think all newbies should case as soon as possible. If you're worried about contaminants try a vermiculite casing. I like to case because humidity is less of a worry. All I have to do is mist and fan, I don't even use perlite. How are you gonna know both sides of the story when you've only listened to one part.

OfflineSlamgauge
genocide isn'tfor everyone.
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Why case? [Re: mastreo]
    #485718 - 12/10/01 03:59 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

It seems to me that the fruits are bigger on cases but it is more reliable to flush of the cakes.
[image]http://shroomery.org/wwwthreads/files/58819-Simpsons

--------------------
TRUTH n - 1 a being true; specif., a) sincerity; honesty b) conformity with fact c) reality; actual existence d) correctness; accuracy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order