Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) *update*
    #4823420 -

One of the plants I've always loved ever since I was a kid is Labrador Tea. In school for our Cree culture class we brewed it, I also brewed it on innumerable occasions. Usually I only used a bit and mixed with green tea.

Labrador tea has a unique flavor and smell. It is a short shrub with a hairy underside that turns orange later in the season.

THE AMAZING PART... I was just watching a show on TV about medicinal plants in the tundra, including Labrador Tea. The "expert" starts talking about the HALLUCINOGENIC PROPERTIES OF LABRADOR TEA.

I don't know what to think about this... frankly I am amazed.

This is a very pleasant smelling and tasting leaf, brewed in teas. The guy on TV said that he took several strong cups of Labrador Tea and it "strongly affected" his mind.

I am so excited to try this out because Labrador tea grows like a weed where I am. Does anyone have any information on this or do you think this guy was bullshitting? This was a serious program... Shit I have some training programs I have to attend tomorro morning, I probably won't get a chance until weekend.... got a good feeling about this people.

Good night now for tripple realsies cross my heart :smile:

EDIT: Fuck the leaves have probably fallen off by now... shit shit shit... maybe there are some left, I hope so

Edited by lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl (10/24/05 03:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4823464 -



--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: Taskenti]
    #4824045 -

Hmmm that is interesting.

"Besides being a popular beverage tea, the Dena'ina report that this shrub is especially effective for weak blood, colds, and tuberculosis. Some people prefer the older darker leaves, believing that they make the tastiest tea. The upper Inlet Dena'ina also use it for arthritis, dizziness, stomach problems, and heartburn. According to at least one Upper Inlet person, it works well to relieve a hangover. In the Outer Inlet area, narrow-leaf Labrador tea is used as a laxative, while the Inland Dena'ina use it as a wash for sores.

The Dena'ina also use Hudson Bay tea as a spice for meat. They boil the leaves and branches in water and then soak the meat in the tea until it tastes just right. The meat may also be boiled directly in the water with the stems and leaves. This spice is said to be especially good for strong-tasting meat, such as brown bear meat that has a fishy taste. Some people chew the raw leaves of Hudson Bay tea because they like the taste. Hulten says Labrador tea contains ledol, a poisonous substance that causes paralysis and cramps. However, this species has a history of use as a beverage and as medicine by native and non-native peoples across the northern part of North America. Tanaina Plantlore"


I will approach this with caution, however it has been used for a very long time, I have never felt any serious effects from it. It is also somewhat laughable that anyone who knew what labrador tea was would mistake another plant for it.


EDIT: Interesting... the plant is a rhododendron and contains Grayanotoxin and Ledol. Both apparently cause bad effects at high doses, but this is not generally fatal. Grayanotoxin is a neurotoxin.

"It binds to specific sodium channels in cell membranes, the receptor sites involved in activation and inactivation. The grayanotoxin prevents inactivation, leaving excitable cells depolarized."

"Despite the potential cardiac problems the condition is rarely fatal and generally lasts less than a day."

Edited by lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl (10/19/05 08:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4824807 -

This is in my notes from a couple years ago, I'm not too sure where I quoted it from:

In Europe, Wild Rosemary (Ledum palustre) has been implicated in the berserker frenzies of the Vikings. The Tungus peoples of Siberia were neighbors of many tribes using the hallucinogenic fly-agaric mushrooms(Amanita muscaria), although they chose not to use it, preferring instead L.palustre and L.hypoleucum. The dried leave of these plants were burnt on a fire or in a frying pan and the smoked inhaled for it narcotic effects during shamanic healing sessions.
A similar use is reported among the Gilyak, another Siberian people.
Among the Kwakiutl Indians of British Columbia another species of the same genus (L. groenlandicum) was used for it's inebriating effects.

A handful of fresh or dried leaves simmered in a liter of water for 15minutes or more yields a pleasant drink, although some like it stronger. It has a pleasant aroma and taste good with or without sugar. The leaves can also add a pleasant flavor to regular or mint teas. :smile:

Here is a bit on Rhododendrons.

In the early part of the 19th century the German linguist Julius Klaproth whilst traveling in the northern Caucaus, described how the nominally Christian local people used a rhododendron species for its apparent narcotic and hallucinogenic properties. "the Ossetians often visit caves to intoxicate themselves with the smoke from the Rhododendron caucasicum, which plunges them into a deep sleep".

The dreams that ensue are considered omens. The species in question is now know as R.ponticum. It has been suggested that the psychoactive fruit of a tree mentioned by the Greek historian Herodotus as being used by the Massagetae people may be the same plant. He says that inhaling the smoke of the burning plant intoxicates like wine. :smile:


--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: Kerr]
    #4824863 -

Thanks for the info. There may be hope that there are some leaves left, though I haven't checked, since Labrador Tea (L. groenlandicum) is considered evergreen.

I have always liked the flavor and aroma of this plant and am puzzled why you can't buy it in stores. Probably the toxicity is part of the reason, since apparently the neurotoxin it contains slows down heart rate.

This also plays into the "deep sleep" part I think, since your body is basically shutting down.

Interestingly enough, I have combined wild mint (which grows in great abundance along the shorelines here) with Labrador tea and really enjoyed the resulting tea. But I have never used a lot of leaves, only a few seems to make a good tea.


For those wondering what Labrador tea smells like, apparently it is like camphor (the most expensive spice in the world). Related plants in Europe were mistakenly classed as related to camphor due to similarity in aroma and taste. They were later found to have no relation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4824875 -

Hey adjust, which part of Canada do you live in. I'm in BC, I have tried a few times to hunt down Labrador tea but to no avail, we are pretty short of bogs in my part of the province. I did however on one of my hunts happen to find some Bear-berry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) :smile:

Now that since I have been reading on this today, I'm pretty sure that I have found Labrador tea, I just might not have been so sure on a positive ID back then. I will head out for a hike this weekend and see if I can find some. I will also collect some Bear-berry if anyone is interested in acquiring some.

Edited by RyanKerr (10/19/05 12:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4824908 -







Leaf: Alternate (often clustered appearing whorled), simple, evergreen, lanceolate to narrowly oblong, 1/2 to 2 inches long, entire, distinctly rolled edges, dark green above, densely woolly below which is at first white but matures to a rusty brown color, fragrant when crushed.
Flower: Five petals, white, 1/3 inch across, in small terminal clusters, appearing in late spring.
Fruit: Small, elongated, pointed, 5-parted, dry capsule, 1/3 inch long, at first green but maturing to brown by the end of summer, cluster typically drooping.
Twig: Moderate, reddish brown and densely wooly, buds scaly.
Bark: Smooth, gray to reddish brown.
Form: A spreading, somewhat open shrub to 3 feet.
:smile:


--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: Kerr]
    #4824919 -

Nice pics! :smile:

I'm in northern Alberta near Athabasca region.

Labrador tea is very easy to find, it does not grow alone and generally reproduces through rhizomes (sp?). That means you either find none or tons of them in big clumps.

It requires cold conditions as well as severely acidic and nutrient poor soil. Like bogs, glacial till, stuff like that.

You probably won't find Labrador tea until you get to the Yukon from the BC side... not sure about that though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4825242 -

I cant take credit for the pics as they are not mine, but they do show the characteristics of the plant very well, don't they.

I live in the Southern Interior, which is a ways from the Yukon border, I'll head out this weekend and see if I can find anything. :smile:


--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4835068 -

UPDATE: The leaves are all gone where I live. But I called a friend and they are still on the bush where he is. So I'm getting "a large freezer bag full" in the mail maybe next week.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4836054 -

:thumbup: Let us know how it goes :smile:


--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I AM AMAZED [Re: Kerr]
    #4844866 -

RyanKerr said:
This is in my notes from a couple years ago, I'm not too sure where I quoted it from:

In Europe, Wild Rosemary (Ledum palustre) has been implicated in the berserker frenzies of the Vikings.



This is myths with no evidence what so ever to back it up. Amanitas and liberty caps have also been suggested but most evidence shows that vikings fought sober. (I do alot of research on norwegian history and especially vikings)


HOWEVER, they used as an addative in "mj?d" (a beer-wine like drink) for some time but this practice was banned by the church around year 1100 here in Norway if I remember correctly, the church claimed it made people violant and out of controll , this is probably why it has been suggested that wild rosemary was used during fights, but the church said and did alot of things back then that isnt necesarry true.

I did some research on wild rosemary years ago because it supposed to have hallucigenic properties but its all very inconclusive. I can look it up, i dont remember details.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4846209 -

UPDATE:

Leaves came in the mail today. They are the correct species and have that unmistakable scent when I crush a leaf.

There is a shit load of leaves, a lot more than I expected. Maybe a quarter pound dried.

I washed them off as best I could, they are now sitting on some unscented paper towel with a fan on them. I was thinking it would be best to dry them first so I can get an accurate weight.

Since nothing is really known about the actives of this plant, I think I will just make a tea with the leaves blended well in a blender. Perhaps lemon or lime juice would be a good additive to reduce the Ph?

Anyhow anything you can think of for this trial would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4846326 -

im guessing teh actives may be lipids rather then alakaloids. so maybe add milk to teh tea when steaping. and cover as they probably are better fresh and by coverign will keep in teh reamining fragrant/active oils.

this was a tea that was drinkin by pioneers helped stretch there tea and added vitamins to nutritive diffecent diet. my hypothesis is that a large quantity of extracted tea woudl be needed for effects. as it is very common for people to drink with out psycedelic felings.

peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4847921 -

Quote:
It is also somewhat laughable that anyone who knew what labrador tea was would mistake another plant for it.



In a highly diverse bog, I have seen about three other species that look similar.

"the Ossetians often visit caves to intoxicate themselves with the smoke from the Rhododendron caucasicum, which plunges them into a deep sleep".

When I lived in NC I was warned never to burn Rhododendron wood in a campfire due to its toxic smoke, so I would advise against making a smokable extract of it until we know more about it.

Quote:
apparently it is like camphor



I thought camphor was similar to menthol?

Cool find, thanks for sharing :tongue2:


--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: schmutzen]
    #4847978 -

Alrighty then, in a few minutes I'm going to drink this stuff, been boiling all day (I double boiled) with the lid on as suggested. Wish me luck!

Edited by lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl (10/25/05 07:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4851758 -

Good Luck Bro :thumbup:


--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4852436 -

Hmmm. Didn't appear to have any effect. Drank the stuff at 8pm, it's now 10pm. Oh well, I tried :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4852909 -

boiling is a definite no-no when working with liquid plant extractions, especially ones with unidentified heat toleration numbers (like how shrooms cant handle high heat). Could you describe in detail your extraction process?

The best way you can extract this is to use phosphoric, a drop or two muriatic per gallon, or if you dont have either, lemon juice. Shoot for a PH of 4, use distilled water.

Do 3 liquid extractions of each sample, evap on low heat and decant till you got a drinkable amount (comon, its standard liquid plant extraction procedure).

You might want to try a steep in cold acidified water too just to be sure it isnt heat thats playing an influence in this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) [Re: yousuck]
    #4854105 -

No problem, I was taking notes just in case something interesting did happen to me.

I had 118 grams of cool dried leaves. These were placed into a blender and ordinary tap water was added until there was just enough to allow the leaves to blend well. The leaves were blended very well, particle size less and one millimeter on average. I was left with around 1125 mL.

Next I put into an airtight tupperware container and left to freeze overnight.

The next morning I broke up the pieces and brought to a low boil. This was maintianed for 3 hours. The liquid was separated from the plant material using a spagetti strainer, the remainder was then strained again with a coffee filter.

The plant material was them put back into the pot and tap water was added again. This was allowed to boil a further 1.5 hours.

I used the same straining process, and added the new liquid to the old, for an exact total of 1000 mL. This was allowed to sit for a few minutes.

Next I drank it... tasted okay (but a little overpowering and bitter). No effects that I noticed not even stomach cramps or anything.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Ledum palustre (marsh tea) Mystiq_Shaman 2,234 9 08/07/04 06:05 AM
by Mystiq_Shaman
* labrador tea and Borage oil? JCoke 477 0 05/06/04 10:51 PM
by the man
* Camellia sinensis - Theobromine UPDATE 2/6
( 1 2 all )
CptnGarden 5,254 26 02/09/05 12:06 PM
by mjshroomer
* germination info for Rhododendron caucasicum tryptonite 334 0 04/25/13 02:09 AM
by tryptonite
* 4 pod tea, the darkest i ever did see. Mitchnast 1,989 8 04/15/05 10:57 PM
by Fluxburn
* anyone familar with poppy straw tea? durban_poison 5,180 7 07/13/06 01:07 PM
by durban_poison
* Sida Cordifolia Update: (PIC) SalviaEngland 4,478 12 03/31/08 03:08 AM
by geko127
* roobois tea
( 1 2 all )
rockstafarian 7,321 22 03/18/06 03:52 AM
by shriek

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
11,283 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.