Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

roobois tea
    #3798406 - 02/18/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I recently bought a box of roobois tea (red tea) expecting nothing more than a good beverage. But this tea definately gives me some effects. After just one glass, I feel very dreamy and sedated. I love it. It's quite mild, but very noticeable. I couldnt find any information on whether or not roobois is active, but from my experience I know it is.
Anyone else get effects from drinking roobois?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrovesk8ter
honestyopenmindednesswillingness
 User Gallery

Loc: Langley, B.C
Re: roobois tea [Re: rockstafarian]
    #3798441 - 02/18/05 02:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i think its the aroma and relaxing flavours

--------------------
"Much madness is divinest sense"
Dickinson, Emily

OfflineGrovesk8ter
honestyopenmindednesswillingness
 User Gallery

Loc: Langley, B.C
Re: roobois tea [Re: Grovesk8ter]
    #3798444 - 02/18/05 02:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

more than likely just a placebo

--------------------
"Much madness is divinest sense"
Dickinson, Emily

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3798557 - 02/18/05 03:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Rooibos is often used for nervous tension and depression as it is a relaxing sedative.It is also often used as a general health tonic because it contains many vitamins and acts as an Immunostimulant.

Rooibos (roy-boss) is an afrikaan word meaning red bush btw.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineAtma
100% Organic

Loc: All Natural
Re: roobois tea [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3798641 - 02/18/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Roobois is also know as "red tea". Some info:

Rooibos tea is a natural herb unique to the South African Cedarberg Mountains. During the summer months the Rooibos plants are harvested, fermented and dried in nature's laboratory. Pure mineral water, fresh mountain air and the hot African sun induces the change from verdant green to the mahogany red of Rooibos tea. Rich in many essential natural elements - to bring you a delicious elixir that you will grow to love.
Enjoyed by native South Africans generation after generation. Rediscovered by botanists in the 18th century, generations enjoyed it for its naturally sweet taste - unaware of the startling powers this wonder of nature possessed nor the wide spectrum of applications we would come to discover.
Not until almost 200 years later, in 1968, when South African mother, Annique Theron, stumbled across this plant's natural healing properties and ability to soothe and pacify her young child. Annique went on to investigate and document its amazing health promoting properties. She set out to share her discovery with others and spread the good news of Mother Nature's Lullaby.
Today her unique findings of this remarkable herbal remedy, have been scientifically researched and have proved to be beneficial not just to babies, but to all ages.

Discover the delicious taste of tranquility
The secrets of the Rooibos are locked in its leaves - discover them for yourself today!

Mother Nature can help you care for those most precious to you. Rooibos tea not only acts as your personal helping hand in fighting allergies and ailments, it is also perfectly suited for growing babies, young children, active teenagers, parents and grandparents alike.
Infancy can be fraught with ailments and conditions that can be difficult to cope with: baby colic, sleepless nights, nausea and stomach cramps, to name but a few. Rooibos tea can soothe baby's discomfort naturally and can be applied topically to help relieve 'cradle cap' and even nappy rash.
Let Rooibos tea become your trusted friend. Precious relief can now be found not only in pacifying babies, but in the relaxation of adults too. A truly holistic wonder, the benefits of Rooibos can assist your baby throughout his or her entire life, and aid you in yours. Suitable for the entire family, Rooibos tea's herbal goodness is awaiting your discovery - treat the ones you love to nature's secret medial wonder.

It does have sedating and medicinal qualities(and it's tasty :smile:) It should also be noted that red tea contains very little tannins and no caffeine.

Edited by Atma (02/18/05 04:20 PM)

Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

Re: roobois tea [Re: Atma]
    #3810728 - 02/21/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I love rooibos. I really have to say that it does produce some definate sedation. I also have a box of yerba mate, which is reputed for its stimulating effects, but personally , I think roobois produces way more effects. It almost resembles a light dose of alcohol without the negatives.

Offlinealphanumericus
Stranger
    #3810936 - 02/21/05 02:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

but its from africa; trade 'partners' found dead in a pool of exhaust...
has there been any attempts at cultigens? can it be grown in diverse climates?

anyone know ?

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: roobois tea [Re: alphanumericus]
    #3812461 - 02/21/05 07:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Im very interested in growing this plant as well

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAtma
100% Organic

Loc: All Natural
Re: roobois tea [Re: blaze2]
    #3812919 - 02/21/05 08:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The color of roobois tea is the coolest ever. It is ultimate relaxation.

Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

Re: roobois tea [Re: Atma]
    #3816484 - 02/22/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The insert inside the box of tea says that it has never been succesfully cultivated outside of the African mountains. I wish it went into more detail. I'm assuming the insert is reffering to commercial cultivation.

--------------------
^ Above post is complete fiction. ^

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3817378 - 02/22/05 05:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Rooibos (Fabaceae Aspalathus linearis) sets very little seed and native ants are known to collect and carry off the seed.Each legume bears one seed(rooibos is in the legume family).It also takes 18 months to mature.

I couldnt find Rooibos (Fabaceae Aspalathus linearis)seeds.However I did find a similar herb Fabaceae Cyclopia intermedia AKA Honeybush which is used in the same manner and has very similar effects and very similar profile in general.Sometimes it is used in place of rooibos.

It may be worth a try and seeds can be gotten from http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za

for $3.00 US.

If you search for Honeybush it can be found by typing in cyclopia.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

#3827080 - 02/24/05 01:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Today I opened up a couple of roobois tea bags and found two seeds. I have no idea if they will be viable, but I'm going to give it a try anyways. I wonder if the fermentation process kills the seeds. It was a real bitch to dig through all of that tea to find two seeds. Maybe if one were to "plant" all of the matter enclosed in the tea bag, the seeds would germinate.
If the fermentation process does kill the seeds, I wonder if anyone sells unfermented roobois.
Any thoughts?

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A Flag
    #3827301 - 02/24/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

hmm only woudl kill them prob if it got to hot in the proccess.

perhaps soak them for a day. then put in a weak gabriolic acid water to soak. anyoen else have a idea? or am i completely off base

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3827440 - 02/24/05 03:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The only unfermented rooibos I know of is green rooibos sold for tea but it is steamed and withered instead of oxidized like red rooibos.

Many companies dry their product at 180 degrees at an attempt to get a uniform looking product to please customers.Fermentation would have no effect on seeds with a hard shell of any sort.

As far as cultivation:

Propagation Notes:
Seed - sow late spring in a greenhouse. It will probably be beneficial to pre-soak the seed for 12 hours in warm water prior to sowing. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots of well-drained sandy soil as soon as they are large enough to handle. Grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter and plant them out in late spring or early summer after the last expected frosts. It will probably be wise to give the plants protection from the cold and from excessive rain for at least their first winter outdoors. Cuttings of half-ripe wood in a closed frame in early summer.

--------------------

Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

#3827500 - 02/24/05 03:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks alot for the info. I'll give it a try and keep you updated.

--------------------

Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

#3832497 - 02/25/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, at least one of the seeds were viable. I soaked them in a wet paper towel overnight and today one of the seed shells are cracked and a little root is poking its way out. My only fear now is damping off, as I never use fungicide.
Its interesting to hear that rooibos is a legume. The seeds looked like small kidney beans about the size of 1/2 of a chocolate sprinkle. If I am successful I will be glad to share some cuttings. Anyone who is interested just let me know.

--------------------

Invisibleshriek

#5413742 - 03/17/06 06:56 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

im not sure if you post here anymore here but how did that go?

a bump from the past

i was looking for this plant and i found a source for it here. really cool :smile:

anyone else tried to cultivate this? or anyone tried to order from that south african webpage?

great stuff!! me happy , hope this works out cause i want to cultivate this one,  i also have found mild effects from this tea

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Celtic Isles
Re: roobois tea [Re: shriek]
    #5414204 - 03/17/06 08:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I used to live in south africa and grew up on rooibos (red bush) tea. I now live in england and you can buy it here in supeermarkets.

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

#5414219 - 03/17/06 08:37 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Can't believe your considering thsi as a pychoactive substance!!! Its rooibos!!! LOL.... unbeleivable!!!! It is very good for you (loads of vitamin d and b vitamins) enough B vitamins gives a euphoric affect, maybe thats why?! Bloody hell!!! Rooibos!!! LOL .... I'm speechless....

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

Re: roobois tea [Re: DrJ]
    #5414232 - 03/17/06 08:41 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

By the way...many company outside SA have tried to grow this tea, but it won't grow outside of the exact conditions which its found. Its a good substitue for normal tea as it doesn't have any caffiene. Its also very good for women who are on they're period or pregnant. I can sent you a whole box for $3. Thats what 40 tea bags costs here....
ROOIBOS!!!!!
LMAO

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden