Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Birdseed Colonized - Now What?
    #480577 - 12/05/01 11:56 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm sure I had a plan when I started experimenting with birdseed, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. I tried out 2 little half pints with a finch/verm/h20 mix, innoculated by syringe and waited. One jar got pukey looking and didn't re-colonize after shaking once. The other did fine (I never shook again) and has been 100% for a few days. I didn't use any flour, so I think that means that using it as a cake is out of the question, as it won't hold together in one piece. Is that right? For those of you who use birdseed, do you prefer to add a flour and keep it in cake form, or go for casing?

I have very limited, somewhat unsuccessful casing experience. They give me a few mushies and then they smell "off" and get tossed. I really want to tackle casing, but my failures are pretty discouraging. I used 3 perfectly healthy pes h cakes in my last casing, and got less than 12 good mushies from it before I had to pitch. I would have gotten a lot more off 3-4 flushes from those same 3 cakes.
I'm not getting nasty green shit, more like dark splotches on the upper casing layer and a smell that is "off". Some of the casing mushies look perfectly healthy, but others have been tossed because they were suspect. All previous failed casings have been the ultra-simple hongus tek. Misting was done with 1:10 h202:h20, fanning once a day during incubation, and 3-4 times a day after placing in terrarium. Anyone who knows that the hell I'm doing wrong, please feel free to clue me in.

In the mean time, I guess my only option for my one little birdseed jar is to make a teeny casing, right? Ingredients I have on hand: Vermiculite, perlite, that lime stuff that comes in a yellow bag (forgot what the hell I bought it for) and a bag of compost that has been laying in my driveway for more than a year. Planning a long evening of mushroom play, and would like to do something with this jar today. I can stop on the way home for more ingredients, if need be.

Someone please point me in the right direction, or I will be doomed to cake mushies forever.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Birdseed Colonized - Now What? [Re: babyshroom]
    #480622 - 12/05/01 01:21 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

hmm...... you might want to try throwing a 50/50 casing as a top layer right in that jar and keep the substrate in the jar in your terrarium. i mean if you only have 1 cake what would be the point of taking it out just tocrumble it up and disturb the myc. network just to put it in a new and probably less sterile container of the same size? you could try to birth it as a cake but i doubt you would be able to keep it together.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Birdseed Colonized - Now What? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #480695 - 12/05/01 02:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i may be wrong...but i didn't think you were supposed to fan during the incubation period.
once i case i put plastic on and place in a dark warm place until the mycelium has recolonized the casing subsrtate and is poking through about 40% the top. some say it is overkill but you may also try sterilizing your verm before you case with it then mix with a h2o2 solution instead of just water.
good luck!

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #480844 - 12/05/01 04:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

case it using the 50/50 tek with the lime, 4 parts 50/50 to 1 part lime. make sure to find a container small enough to give you a 2 1/2 inch substrate level with a 1/2 inch casing level on top, I always use a bottom layer of 1 inch. you can sterilize it in the microwave on high for 10 minutes when you already have the moisture level where you want it, if it drys out a little just add some sterilized water. you probably need more than one half pint to achieve this, doesn't sound like you have enough substrate.

all you need for your casing layer (that you don't already have) is peat moss, that's easy to find. verm only for a casing isn't sufficent enough, it's just used for newbies as a nearly error free way to get the hang of casing, but it's really not that difficult, just be sterile and you should be set.

Offlinemystic1
addict
Re: Birdseed Colonized - Now What? [Re: XAZIA]
    #480864 - 12/05/01 05:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

fanning once a day during incubation, and 3-4 times a day after placing in terrarium. Anyone who knows that the hell I'm doing wrong, please feel free to clue me in.

no i im sure you don't fan during inncubation. the poit is too make the substrate think it is still under ground colonizing. fresh air and light are for fruiting

--------------------
realize,realize,realize
real eyes, realize, real lies
http://www.shroomery.org/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=399368&fpart=1

Offlinetripyfungi
Stranger
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Birdseed Colonized - Now What? [Re: mystic1]
    #480921 - 12/05/01 06:14 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'd take that one jar of colonized birdseed and colonize a bunch a dung....colonizes very fast, and you get potent big shrooms from it...

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Birdseed Colonized - Now What? [Re: tripyfungi]
    #481688 - 12/06/01 09:20 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, so no more fanning during incubation - wonder what made me think I was supposed to. Sometimes the tek's just run together, don't they?
Can I use the compost from Home Depot/Lowe's for the dung? I can go there at lunch for peat moss, too. Do you case with more dung or 50/50?

--------------------

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
    #481735 - 12/06/01 10:52 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If I were you Baby I`d pastuerize some dung in a pillow case in a pot at 150 degrees for an hour. 212 is boiling so you don`t want to boil it.. just steep it at 150. I use a campstove and a big pot so I`m not steeping shit in my home lol.Then remove and let the excess water drain off for a couple of hours. Squueze the dung till it just oozes a few drops and MIX with that birdseed spawn about 1 part spawn to 1 part manure hence making a bulk substrate. Cover with saran and poke some holes in it and cover with foil also to keep out the light. You will be AMAZED at the speed that the mycelium colonizes that dung.I`ve had 75% in 24 hours....no exaggeration. Remove the foil & saran when it looks around 70 or 75% colonized.Then you can case with a non-nutritive casing.... peat/verm.... or straight verm also works well. I`ve even just let the the substrate go without casing and had huge flushes. The shrooms will be HUGE also....big FAT stems andTHICK stems,like I`ve never ever seen with and straight grain/peat or brf/peat casings. I lower my temps to around 72 degrees and they pin in about 7 to 10 days. Good luck and hope you have a nice harvest . Da Dung is Da Key !

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Edited by Numba9 (12/06/01 11:07 AM)

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Birdseed Colonized - Now What? [Re: Numba9]
    #481746 - 12/06/01 11:07 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, tell me if this will work. I don't have a campstove, so I guess I'll have to cook the shit in my house. I have a pressure cooker and a big pot with a strainer in it (I think it's called a pasta cooker?). I guess I can use the pasta cooker and a candy thermometer to monitor the temp, huh? Do I just tie up the pillow case and let the top hang out of the pot? Also, how stinky is this process? Will my house smell like shit? And one more, can I use the compost I already have, or do I need straight manure? I appreciate all the help and advice...I'm dying to move on to some type of bulk tek. Up to 4 terrariums plus one I'm babysitting. Getting kind of hard to walk in the room. I'd love to ditch the cakes and move on to 1-2 big tubs instead.

--------------------

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
    #481753 - 12/06/01 11:14 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I`m sure it will stink . but I suppose you could put a fan at a kitchen window and exhaust it out of the house..  The neighbors might wonder if you bought a cow or a horse though :smile:. And yes you can just tie the top of the pillow case and let it hang over the top...  but don`t try and put the lid on the PC of course. After the birseed dung colonizes go ahead and use that compost you have on top. Should work well as a casing layer. The whole idea of a casing is to provide moisture to the substate and be non-nutritive. I`ve heard of a few people casing with dung but it goes against everything I`ve heard about the top layer

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Offlinerice_cake
    #481809 - 12/06/01 12:14 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You should case with Jiffy Mix, (only a couple bucks at Home Depot)and I've heard that Coco Coir works good. 1/2 -1 inch of damp verm, on bottom, crumbled cake in the middle 1/4-1/2 inch damp Jiffy on top.

--------------------
I'll take the high road, you take the low.
This Jam goes round and out to all the people that grow. -Kottonmouth Kings
-rice_cake

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation