Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
getting clean air
    #4761054 -

Ok I am having a big problem with contams. So what I would like to do is buy or build something to purify / sterilize the air in the room I inoculate and grow in. What I am confused about is if I need a hepa filter system, a flow hood or both. I have used the search function and I have got a lot of info on building a homemade flow hood and I think I saw a tek on building a hepa filter system. Now this may be a dumb ass question but is there a difference between the two? And do any vendors here sell already built units? Im not to good on building things. You should have seen me in woods class in high school! LOL Thank you for your time

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: getting clean air [Re: painloc21]
    #4761347 -

Unless your casing, or have a ginormous amount of contams in your grow area it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Once the mycellium takes 100% hold of the cake it can take care of itsself against contams.

For innoculating, some people will try to turn their bathroom into a makeshift greenhouse. Most will make a glovebox that they can sterilize and do their work in that.

A laminar flow hood uses positive pressure to push contaminants out of your work area. They're really kickass but they're expensive / relatively difficult to build. In order to keep the flow hood from blowing contaminants ONTO your work surface, it uses a hepa filter to keep contams from getting through to the blower.

I'm not sure if any vendors sell flow hoods, but I know MycoSupply Sells portable and disposable glove boxes.

Or, you can try your luck at making one. I couldn't find a proper pictorial, but I found a post from hippychick that has her glovebox on it, hers is a positive pressure box and requires a little more finesse than a still-air box.
Making a glovebox

Good luck man.

Edited by Nychthemeronster (10/05/05 10:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* how clean should i be for agar cultivation? felixhigh 1,188 4 11/02/01 03:10 PM
by felixhigh
* clean w/? budro 754 7 07/31/04 12:20 AM
by KillBill
* Homemade Glovebox bradshaw2727 4,758 5 12/12/05 01:30 PM
by bradshaw2727
* How to sterilize makeshift cardboard glovebox? discman1 1,455 3 11/08/04 12:11 PM
by discman1
* Glovebox Explosion Salvinorin 4,429 17 10/28/06 03:33 AM
by student9
* Syringe w/o Glovebox Mykey 1,528 6 06/25/04 01:17 PM
by mycoguy
* So you need a glovebox or flowhood to work with agar? firsttimer101 3,484 16 04/14/05 03:48 AM
by Mindzpore
* Glovebox for $20.00 US or less! Mr. G 2,195 3 05/03/02 12:59 PM
by Doublethink

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
365 topic views. 16 members, 75 guests and 232 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.