Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecantara
Loc: Beyond the sun
Circular trips, and timely trips
    #475338 - 11/30/01 10:52 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

This is just a quick post to see the various responses I'll get. It is in regards to two characteristics which in my experience, seem to be present in pretty much every psychedelic experience I have had. I am wondering if there are others that seem to feel that either, or both, of these is in play often for them in their journeys.

One of them is circularity - for some reason each trip seems to end the same way it began - that is a very broad sentence and it takes in a lot of ground but basically, it seems like the sensory input that is prevalent at the beginning is also present right near the end as well, but not during the "middle'. This emphasizes, when I experience it, the sensation of having travelled a far way away and now returning as you land. Either you hear the same song on the radio right at the end as you heard when you were first taking off, or you hear or see something (usually it is sensory in nature) when you are landing that reminds you of something you took note of when you were taking off, but which wasn't present (or maybe you didn't notice it) while you were in flight.

The other observation is that of timeliness.....it has been my experience that often, the trip that I want isn't the one that I get, but in hindsight (or usually right at the time) I realize that it was the trip that I *needed* to have. I worked out some issue, I saw something that I needed to see at that time, I learned something I needed to, I was reminded of something that was timely to remember, etc.....it never, ever fails to amaze me how the experience you want, based on previous events and based on hopes, is usually not what you get --- yet what you get is always valuable, usually in many ways, and it is also what you *needed* to get, more than what you wanted.

I'd enjoy it if others would respond to one or the other of these thoughts, on any level they wish to reply.

--------------------
---- Cantara

[green]Shroomism, please don't delete this thread![/green]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Circular trips, and timely trips [Re: cantara]
    #475452 - 12/01/01 12:23 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

In my understanding, everything is circular. A continuous cycle where the same things are repeated but in different forms each time around. I like to call this circle evolution. Each time around the circle one gains in wisdom and experience until that cycle has reached critical mass.. then the circle continues but on a higher frequency this time.
I agree that a trip will take you wherever you need to go. What you want is not as important as what you need in terms of spiritual growth. It is my belief that some hallucinogens (specifically mushrooms) when used in the proper mind set are a very delectable food for the soul. You may not consciously know what you NEED, but your soul certainly does, and most hallucinogens will listen to the soothing sound of your soul before the incoherent babbling of the conscious.
Though hallucinogens can be abused as well as used for enlightening purposes, your intent is what really matters.
Perhaps I am babbling a bit here, I'm not quite sure... but for my final thought I say that every experience is a learning experience, good or bad. How we choose to view it is up to us, but we will always be learning new things, striving for that invisible goal..confident in the fact that if we learn enough, our journeys will take us farther and farther into the realms of consciousness.

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
Re: Circular trips, and timely trips [Re: cantara]
    #475902 - 12/01/01 11:22 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

Short answer: Yes, and yes.

Slighlty (we'll see) longer answer:
No, newermind, I'm too exhausted after a long night of posting semi-sane posts.

There's another circular element too. The utterly daemonic rollercoaster-though-loops from zeta reticuli. Iv'e spent hours repeating the same 3 or 4 sentences with a freind (sprinkled with wild laughing-fits of our unability to break out of it).

I don't know if your'e familiar with the holographic model of memory (and the mind, and universe for that matter)? But very (very!) quickly explained: Youhave a crystal cube, two lasers shine on it, and the interference pattern is stored. Turn the cube by a fraction of a degree and you can store something new. If the mind functions the same way, psychedelics might shift the rotation of the holographic mind a little bit, so the original pattern is left and the psychedelic one is entered. Thoughts and emotions you had while still (semi)sober gradually fade (and freeze) as you trip "harder". When you come down again you kind of are back where you left, more or less. it all happens analogue, so there isn't a sudden shift, but a gradual one.

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

InvisibleIshmael
enthusiast

Re: Circular trips, and timely trips [Re: ]
    #475995 - 12/01/01 01:20 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

You're not rambling Shroomism.

If you can find the reference material: The Psychedelic Experience by T. Leary, you may be able to get a better understanding as to just /why/ the process of using psychedelics creates a circular pattern. Basically, it is the process of rising beyond ego through Bardo states (Bardo states are literally stages of death as described by Tibetan Buddhism) and then returning from these states back to 'life'. The 'coincidences' that you describe at the begining and the end are simply benchmarks - punctuation in reality to allow you to differentiate between the happening experience and it's terminus. It should reveal to you, this profoundly personal synchonization, that the 'trip' was in fact a 'real' experience.

The element of timelessness is fairly easy to explain. Time is largely an effect of mind, tripping and spiritual experiences in general, both inhibit certain functions of (and sometimes, the whole of) mind. Time breaking down is a sign that ego is begining to break down - and usually this is the first test of many. If you begin to get scared, frightened or confused at this point, it can impede progress further into the experience. It is vitially important to keep calm and centered, for if you can weather reality degrading around you, you can likely move deeper than you ever imagined.

Ish

Edited by Ishmael (12/01/01 01:21 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology