Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
technological telepathy?
    #4623656 - 09/05/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

read this first

It seems to me that the Cyberkinetics microelectrode array has a possible application far more revolutionary than restoring motor function. What would happen if the signals from one implanted device were transmitted to another implanted device? Is it possible for a rat to understand another rats transmitted thought patterns? What if it is possible for a human to understand another humans transmitted thought patterns?

This would be a revolutionary field of study. so far it is restricted to the realms of science fiction but with the technologies created by Cyberkinetics it could become a realistic field of study.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGulGen
Old Bird
Male User Gallery

Loc: I live in the Internet
Re: technological telepathy? [Re: psychomime]
    #4623843 - 09/05/05 07:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Full blown telepathy - transmission of thoughts - is way out of the league of current science. However, empathy - transmission of basic feelings, emotions, maybe some sensations, I see no reason why a dedicated researcher couldn't pull that off (excluding red tape due to the physical invasiveness and potential danger involved). We can already scan brains and identify regions of activity to correspond with all sorts of emotions and basic thought patterns, anything from "fear" and "happiness" to some more complex patterns like "I'm looking at the face of a stranger". We also found out decades ago that sending electrical impulses to the right parts of the brain can trigger sensations or memories. I suspect that if you add a simple wireless link between a couple head-mounted devices that could scan and transmit selected impulses to the brain that you could in this way achieve some sort of empathy.

If that much got working reliably (as in not randomly frying peoples' brains, sending them into seizures, or causing severe mental trauma) then a code could be built up from the easiest signals to intentionally send. For example thinking of someone you hate and then someone you love, then alternating between those in a form of rough Morse code. I'm sure if such a thing actually happened I'm sure a better system would be developed, but that gets the point across well enough. Thoughts could be sent, it just wouldn't be a natural or simple process. It would be plenty sufficient for something like encryption codes though.

We may someday be able to engage in full telepathy by such means, but I don't see it as likely, and certainly not anytime soon. The invasiveness required would probably be great. More importantly the task of figuring out how to decode thoughts and memories, then again of re-encoding them in a form that would be comprehensible to the receiver (who wouldn't share any of the memories or context, so those would have to somehow be included) would be virtually impossible regardless of how much technology we throw at it.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: technological telepathy? [Re: GulGen]
    #4624248 - 09/06/05 12:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I never claimed it was in the current league of science. But just as the internet was out of Alexander Bell's league when he invented the telephone, here we are posting on the largest network on earth thanks to his invention. did you check out the link? it's for a company that has developed the technology required for someone to control a computer or wheelchair by thought alone. the ability to decipher certain thoughts is already a reality. (they are starting a trial for ALS sufferers as we speak). We are in a position where the first steps towards true telepathy can be made.

now i agree with you that it wouldn't be as simple as someone seeing exactly what you're thinking. context is very important to thought. with training though it may very well be possible. it's an untested field. I think an "emotional morse code" might be the most likely route seeing as everyone understands emotions. you can tell if someone is angry or happy even if you've never met them before. it's an exciting possibility that one day, we may be able to transmit ideas and/or emotions merely by thought.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4635139 - 09/08/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'd be interested in expanding that telepathy experiment to say 100 or 1000 rat brains, maybe facilitating the process with small microprocessors for filtering and selecting which information is sent and received by each rat at each point in time. Could you create an army of cyborg rats which are collectively a lot smarter than a single rat?

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: technological telepathy? [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #4635679 - 09/08/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

imagine if someone created a device that could "read" your mind. bet the government would love that.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4637193 - 09/09/05 08:42 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

We already have a form of technological telepathy. It's what we're doing right now.

The next big revolution would be for the human-computer interface to become closer. Already you can text-message-telepathy with your cell phone or portable computer. Sony said a few months back that they would have a matrix-style brain-computer interface within 10 years.

For any transhumanists around, technological telepathy is just a minor benefit to becoming transhuman. :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineGulGen
Old Bird
Male User Gallery

Loc: I live in the Internet
Re: technological telepathy? [Re: trendal]
    #4637320 - 09/09/05 09:54 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
We already have a form of technological telepathy. It's what we're doing right now.

Woooah!

Calling it telepathy as it is now is maybe pushing it, but you're right. As computer interfaces become increasingly intuitive we'll achieve something very much like telepathy. Sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic and all that.

That gave me another idea of a practical implementation in the foreseeable future. There's been successful research already into cybernetic limbs and stuff - tapping into the signals our brains would send to natural body parts when we want to move them, interpreting those signals, and moving the artificial one in that way. I don't think it would be too unreasonable that we may soon be able to tap the areas that control the creation of speech, either at a base level or from the signals that would be sent to the body to physically produce the voice. You could potentially think-speak, or go through the motions without expelling air, then have a computer pick up the signals and analyze what sounds they would produce and relay those to another person. I don't know of any current research towards direct input of audio (or anything for that matter) into a brain, but headphones or even small implanted speakers in the ears would be a simple task.

None of what I just said is that far out of the realm of current possibility, nor requires any great leaps of science as far as I understand.

Damn, now I want to live in the future so I can have kickass telepathic implants.  (:thirdeyeani: + :megaman::cool:)

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: technological telepathy? [Re: GulGen]
    #4653512 - 09/13/05 12:00 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

thats the shit i'm talking ABOUT! that "cybernetic limb stuff" is what the original post was based on. the tech is there to extract "thought" and process it on a computer. it doesn't take a huge leap (or any leap at all) to use the existing technology to achieve a viable form of telepathy.

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #4658767 - 09/14/05 08:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Sony said a few months back that they would have a matrix-style brain-computer interface within 10 years.

Do you have a link to this? I'd love to read it.
It's totally impossible IMO (For a few very simple reasons), unless Sony has had a HUGE secret research project going on for decades, that is...

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: technological telepathy? [Re: ummikko]
    #4659012 - 09/14/05 10:03 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

> Do you have a link to this? I'd love to read it.

If it is what I am thinking of, they recently applied for several patents that use ultrasonic transducers (I think) on the scalp to stimulate areas of the brain.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: technological telepathy? [Re: ummikko]
    #4659237 - 09/14/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It was on slashdot a few (4-5) months ago, sorry I don't have the link anymore :frown:

I'm pretty sure their anouncement had to do with the patents that Seuss mentioned above. One of the scientists on the team said he thought they would have a "matrix style" device in about 10 years.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #4663793 - 09/15/05 05:33 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I found the link. It's a theoretical patent with no working prototype nor plans for building one. A method to stimulate specific areas in the brain non-invasively, by the use of ultrasound. Definately not a matrix-style interface -matrix link works both ways.

(Btw. a similar method, called TMS already exists and is in use. According to Sony ultrasound has a better focus than TMS(transcranial magnetic stimulation))

A theoretical patent, with no research on it currently being done, only makes things more difficult for other groups who may be trying to research/create similar things. :frown:

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom