Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Caring for Stinging Nettles
    #4641393 - 09/10/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I searched but could find no information on this subject.

Received a stinging nettle cutting or plant in the mail yesterday. The leaves are drooping, curling, and look yellow. Its been in the humidity tent since it was shipped (~5 days ago). I remist once about every 12 hours. How should I go about caring for this plant? As I understand it, Stinging Nettle is invasive and should require little care. Should I repot and stop misting?

Sorry for the lack of detail in the picture. You can see the leaf problem on a bottom leaf visible in these pics.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Organic]
    #4641484 - 09/10/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well they grow like crasy in the wild here in holland,
and we have very high humidity, rh 50%ish by day and 100%ish by night
on a nice day...

seeing as how tough these things are i dont think the tent and misting are neccecery but considering the climte they thrive in here i dont think it will hurt :smile:

also they grow realy fast so it should pick up pretty quickly...

im wondering if this is a popular item?
cuz being as abundant as they are im sure i could hook up all of the shroomery lol...

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4641492 - 09/10/05 10:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

They grow out here in Texas in the wild. South Central texas, really hot and dry all summer, they're still here.

Offlinemjw0
Hamburgerler
Male User Gallery

Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Rustifer]
    #4641505 - 09/10/05 10:12 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Stinging Nettles? I have never heard of this plant. what are its effects? and how do you induce it?

--------------------
All posts are works of fiction. I do not consume or harvest mushrooms.

Edited by mjw0 (09/10/05 10:23 AM)

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: mjw0]
    #4641570 - 09/10/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

the plant harms you severely at merely a brushing-by, it is cobered with tiny hollow spines that inject unweary travelers with formic acid, the same substance in bee and ant venom.
where a bee merely injects one point, stinging nettles deliver a wide area of hundreds of stings, like kicking over a beehive.

the pain is debilitating and long lasting. in some instances it can be fatal to people allergic to insect stings.

however dangerous when brushed against, the plant is harmless when grasped firmly, and is also edible and highly nutritious.

as a companion plant, when planted in the same root area as cannabis, it redically increses cannabis' ability to produce amino acids. this results in a much more vigorous, thick and oily plant.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4641596 - 09/10/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

oh, as for caring for them, plant them in a swampy area for a while with added lime and good soil and they should bounce back (after rooting of course)

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4641644 - 09/10/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You couldnt find it along any river side in your area? Very cool plant do to the helpfull deturent it emmits. If you got arthritis there is a way to make a tinkiture of the whole plant. The tinciture when rubbed into the skin helps promote blood circulation in the joints and warms the whole area.

Not to mention its just as good if not way better then spinach. You can dry the foliage reconstitute it and add it as a high in iron addition to lasagna.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4641691 - 09/10/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Vertigo6911 & Rustifier - Thanks :smile: Between both of your input, I am not too worried about keeping it very humid. The humidity is around 80% most of the time.

Mitchnast - Thanks for the input. Your posts were originally the few I'd read and remembered regarding this species.

Sheik - I probably could have found these growing around here, but I've never seen or noticed them in abundance. I don't even remember ordering this plant, heh, I was surprised when I opened the box--I'm unsure if its a cutting or a plant from seed. Very interesting about the tincture...could you explain this a little better?

Anyone - How do you go about eating it? Do you wash to remove the formic acid before eating/drying?

Is there any way to propogate this plant? I'm assuming traditional cutting methods will work here, anything else feasible? I don't want to lose this plant over the winter, I'd like to start a small contained grow of nettles. Fluros good for the winter?

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: mjw0]
    #4641703 - 09/10/05 11:13 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mjw0 said:
Stinging Nettles? I have never heard of this plant. what are its effects? and how do you induce it?

it improves the flavor of milk when your cows eat it...

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4641715 - 09/10/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Anyone - How do you go about eating it? Do you wash to remove the formic acid before eating/drying?

The trick is to make soup of it, which effectively renders the "sting" harmless. You can also make tea and discard the leaves afterward.
It retains its apothecary value, but not its sting, after drying.

One heaping tablespoon in a whole pot (qt) of tea, steep 15 minutes, remove leaves, chill in the fridge and drink throughout the day: healthy and tasty.

The stinging hurts and gives allergic eczema-like rash but is harmless and disappears completely in some time. The vikings had sweat huts (kinda like the native americans) and they thrashed eachother with the plant to stimulate blood circulation. Harmless but not recommended.
I for one prefer the tea :wink:

I recommend making some holes in a bucket of potting soil and planting it therein if you can't put it in the ground. When it is well rooted you will see it again and again even if you clip off the entire foliage. Once its well-rooted, it's a noxious weed.

For apothecary purposes you gather young leaves and tops.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (09/10/05 11:24 AM)

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Asante]
    #4641763 - 09/10/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The stinging hurts and gives allergic eczema-like rash but is harmless and disappears completely in some time.

yeah i agree, the sting is a little burning sensation followed by
strong itching.
u need to look at the direction of the hairs and be sure not to brush against them and ull be ok.
personaly i reccomend gloves though, that sting pisses me off...

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

#4642355 - 09/10/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

They grow in large patches in moist fields and river side. Apon drying the formic acid is rendered useless. When i harvest it i wear gloves and chop down the whole plants. Hang them up and let them dry. Store the dry leaves in a jar for use over the winter.

They can be used fresh as W.S. said. I for one find it easier to just let the whole plant dry so i can work with out gloves at a later time.

I searched around and found a couple good reads. first you may want to watch this movie http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/184511

then you may want to actually read about the plant here.
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Nettle.html

"Nettles sting you because the hairs are filled with formic acid, histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine), plus unknown compounds. Some of these substances are destroyed by cooking, steeping, or drying, but not by freeze-drying or juicing. Unfortunately, you need a vacuum chamber to freeze-dry herbs. However, you can purchase freeze-dried nettles in capsules for hay-fever."

More so "serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine)" hmmmmmm

Edited by SHEIKofSHIITAKE (09/10/05 01:52 PM)

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4643092 - 09/10/05 06:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

5-hydroxytryptamine???

now THAT sounds interesting, how then would one extract such a thing?

#4645547 - 09/11/05 10:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

no clue

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4645739 - 09/11/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

5-HO-T is only interesting if you trimethylate it to 5-MeO-DMT.

It's a dead end folks!

Not a dead end is to isolate alpha-carboxyl-tryptamine from cheese, decarboxylate and dimethylate to DMT. Yes you can make an ounce of DMT from that bigass chunk of cheese :grin:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Re: Caring for Stinging Nettles [Re: Asante]
    #4645758 - 09/11/05 11:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

are you shitting me?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale