Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
San Pedro Care - What's wrong with my cactus?
    #1787118 - 08/07/03 12:08 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

When I first posted pics of the SP I got, I asked what was up with the spots all over it.  I was told not to worry about them, but it doesn't seem right to me.  :sad:

I would think it would imply something wrong, or at least not optimal for it.  I want mine to have that nice, shiny, waxy look to it.  :laugh: 
Might this be an indication of sub-par conditions?  Will it not be as potent as possible?

Secondly, my girlfriend demands that I get a better looking pot to keep it in. :crazy:  She thinks this big black plastic one, isn't pretty. :smirk:  Is transplanting dangerous?  How would I go about it? 

And I guess I will go with a thirdly as well. :laugh:  Is it possible the soil this thing is growing in, isn't optimal?  It really has the appearance of your average garden mulch.  Lots of wooden material.  Would a transplant into some other medium be recommended?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: San Pedro Care - What's wrong with my cactus? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1787339 - 08/07/03 02:22 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Does the cactus get rained on much?
I've got similar spots on my cactus. When it rains on the cactus, the water droplets act as a magnifying glass and they will burn the cactus.
Pehaps that's what it is?

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
    #1787989 - 08/07/03 10:45 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, problem could be what was suggested with rainspots. Second question, yes you can safely transplant pedro, I did so with my one friends and watered it and it looks much healthier now that it is out of the old root bound pot. To transplant: Don't water the cactus for a while so that the soil is dry and won't fall apart like it will when it is wet. Then get a bigger pot, put about 2 inches of soil in the bottom. Then try to get the cactus and soil out together, try to go around the edges with a knife, and try to get the cactus and soil out together, if a little bit of soil is still left in the bottom, don't worry. Set the cactus in the new pot, and fill the sides with cactus potting soil, (commercial or make your own mix, you can do so easily) and I also put a thin layer of new soil over the top as well. Water afterwards, and that's all there is to it!

PS - The mulchy soil shouldn't really hurt it, but it might make watering your cactus harder because of being a poor absorber of water. I say transplant it with the above method and you should still be fine.

Edited by biglo (08/07/03 10:47 AM)

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: San Pedro Care - What's wrong with my cactus? [Re: biglo]
    #1792863 - 08/08/03 04:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, that is a huge problem. Watering this thing is next to impossible. When ever what is poured on it, it just runs down the sides, and out the bottom. Very little soaks in toward the middle.

How would I transplant it with the above method, and make much of a difference? The method above seems like only the very bottom of the pot would see new conditions. I would just have the same situation in a new pot.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #1793916 - 08/08/03 09:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

good point!

you need to fully uproot your cactus, clean its roots of all dirt (water works fine) and let it lay on its bare roots for about a week or so in order to heal any wounds and avoid an infection, then replant it with a new soil mix... wood in the substrate is not good because it retains water and promotes rotting...
btw, check out well those spots! they might be parasites...
good luck...

FH

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: San Pedro Care - What's wrong with my cactus? [Re: felixhigh]
    #1794247 - 08/08/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, my first impression was that some of the spots looked like insects had penetrated the outer skin, and were incubating, or planting eggs inside.  Some of the spots look like tubes underneath the skin.  Other just look like material started to rot, then dried and healed.  Kinda like a bad wound, that left nasty scar.

When I water it, some of the roots are exposed, and they appear very weak.  Some break easily.  Were you actually serious about your transplant method?  That seems like that would be really bad for him.  :confused: 

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #1794538 - 08/09/03 02:23 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

about the bugs, yes, some parasites do get incubated inside the cactus flesh, they suck and leave ugly scars... but they're not really bad parasites if thats it...

about the transplant, the way i told you is the best and safest way to transplant a cactus, just do any searches on cactus care if you would like to confirm that and learn more...

FH

OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
    #1846020 - 08/24/03 05:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe the soil the cactus is growing in is fine. The new growth (at the top) looks quite healthy. I don't think it's unusual for San Pedro cacti to have these kinds of scars.

Invisiblecactusguy
ummm?

Re: San Pedro Care - What's wrong with my cactus? [Re: Aaladorn]
    #1847290 - 08/25/03 01:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

looks ok to me .. just scares

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
Re: San Pedro Care - What's wrong with my cactus? [Re: cactusguy]
    #1847406 - 08/25/03 02:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It looks like the Pedro just hasn't had optimum conditions. It looks OK. The spots are most likely where small insects have poked through the waxy skin, this creates a vector for infection. A Pedro will fight off this minor infection and "scar". A healthier cactus will fight off the infection faster with less scarring  You can transplant Pedro just fine, in fact a clay pot is preferred as it is porous and breathes better. Many would say the optimum soil mix is 1 part topsoil,1 part compost,1 part crushed limestone(minus grade) DO NOT USE oyster shell!, and 1 cup of pelletized dolomitic limestone per gallon of mixed soil. The limestone adds calcium which is essential for good cactus growth, helps the cactus fight off infection and helps prevent rot. Ideally you want a soil pH of 7.5-8.0 Most commercial soil preparations are peat-based which makes them acidic and more prone to rot. Hope this helps :smile:

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck