Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineepoch
Stranger
not 100% sure on these
    #4619981 - 09/04/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hi All,

First i would just like to say Hi to everyone.
i will be hunting in Scotland, Fife.

I have recently taken up this superb hobby but am very wary of eating anything unless i can definitely ID it.
I had a look about my local area and found 3 mushrooms that i would be interested in finding out what they are.

Found these at the edge of a pine wood, most of the area was wet, swamp like, but these where on a small hill growing under and old rotting, decay log, don't know what kind though.

The scan was done within a few hours of picking so that hopefully answers allot of the description.

These varied in size from 1 cm to 6 cm across.

Spore print brown to purple color.

Did not seem to bruise any color.

Wood smell, very intense.

Found these in my father in laws back lawn. the house was built as part of an estate on top of an old cow field. House has been up for about 4 years.

The scan was done within a few hours of picking so that hopefully answers allot of the description.

These varied in size from 1 cm to 10 cm across.

Spore print salmon color.

no smell.

Found these in my back lawn, the house was built as part of an estate on top of an old field probably populated by cows. House has been up for about 7 years.
these ones where picked as soon as i spotted them before they got trodden on, so they are very young.
i will pick more mature ones next week.

The scan was done within 1 hour of picking so that hopefully answers allot of the description.

These varied in size from 1 cm to 2 cm across.

Spore print purple/black color.

no smell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: not 100% sure on these [Re: epoch]
    #4620158 - 09/04/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

A dark purple spore print is a sign of possible Psilocybe genus.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what any of these mushrooms are.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4620382 - 09/04/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Based on the spore print colors and pics, I would guess that the first specimens are possibly hypholomas such as the sulfur tuft or one of its close relatives. On the second one the spore print appears to be brownish on my monitor, which is unreliable, due to possible color conflictions or settings.. if the spore print is really pinkish, I would say that they look like pluteus based on appearance but the habitat you describe doesn't quite match. We also can't tell if the gills were free or attached, which would help to narrow it down some.. There are a number of other genera that have a salmon spore print, so I wouldn't really feel comfortable to even identify those to genus without being more sure. The last ones resemble panaeolina, but many people have confused spore colors of panaeolus/panaeolina genera. You say the spore print is more of a blackish than a dark brown, the monitor is no good for judging color, so it leads to uncertainty again.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4622134 - 09/05/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

As eris stated, the first ones look like Hypholoma. While there are edible species in that genus, there are also poisonous ones, and the Sulfur Tuft has caused fatalities in Europe, so you should very cautious about eating any.

The second one could be a Pluteus - if so it should have been growing from wood. If it was growing from the ground then it's probably an Entoloma. Entolomas are very difficult to identify to species and most of them are poisonous.

The last ones look like they're very probably Panaeolina foenisecii, a common, harmless lawn mushroom.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblekoraks
Re: not 100% sure on these [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4624505 - 09/06/05 02:53 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
While there are edible species in that genus, there are also poisonous ones, and the Sulfur Tuft has caused fatalities in Europe, so you should very cautious about eating any.

This surprises me somewhat. This species tastes so enormously bitter, I really can't imagine anyone anjoying them or even eating more than a morcel!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract