Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Tasty herbal smokes?
    #4592497 - 08/28/05 10:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I am not looking for a marijuana substitute, but rather more of a tobacco substitute. Some sort of plant/herb that can be rolled into a joint/cigarette and smoked.

It does not need to produce any sort of mental/physical effects (although that could possibly be a plus) but I am really just looking for something that has a pleasant taste/aroma and can be easily rolled up and smoked.

Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: Tasty herbal smokes? [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #4592681 - 08/28/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What the hell are you thinking? Marijuana is a scared drug and you are trying to emulate its effects though some other product. That doesn't quite make sense. You can get alternatives to marijuana, I hear the best are wild dagga flowers. I hate how companies capitialize on the popularity of marijuana when there product (a mix of herbs) will never achieve the same effects. Why don't they just call it those herbs mix but stupid women do all the marketing these days. This reminds me of that stupid herbal e crap. Anyone who has taken MDMA or MDA or even DMX by mistake would know that no stupid herbal crap is ever going to touch that shit. You can get possibly euphoric effects or lots of energy from various herbs but to call it herbal e is just some stupid marketing gimic made by women. Now if you are a man, which maybe you aren't by the name of Amber_Glow (that sounds very feminine to me) then you don't buy bullshit. www.iamshaman.com has a excellent selection of various herbs and herb mixes. They normally have great products. Also you can go on www.erowid.com and get any information about any drug, herb or basicly anything to alter you consiousness. Ebay is another wonderful place to get herbs from small hardworking Americans.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
    #4592979 - 08/29/05 12:21 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I hear passion flower is easy to grow and can (help to) make a tasty and pleasant smoking blend with arguable psychoactive effects.

--------------------
delta9

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Re: Tasty herbal smokes? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4593057 - 08/29/05 12:33 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Fluxburn I think you need to reread my post because I clearly explained I was not looking for a marijuana substitute!

I tried smoking some Mugwort a friend gave me tonight.  I rolled it up into a joint with some weed (couldn't resist! :crazy2:) and I don't think I could taste the Mug in the smoke much, although the Mug itself had a pleasant and rather strong aroma.  Will have to try smoking it by itself next time, hehe.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4593567 - 08/29/05 01:51 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

why don't u just smoke the hooka tobacco, it tastes wonderful. Smoking herbs is about effect, ie getting high.

--------------------

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#4593888 - 08/29/05 02:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

why don't u just smoke the hooka tobacco, it tastes wonderful. Smoking herbs is about effect, ie getting high.

gee maybe because of the addictive nature of nicotine??

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4593897 - 08/29/05 02:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i love that stuff and i don't even smoke. still can taste the tobacco in the flavour, there are recipes on the net how ot make your own, might try it out soon.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#4593900 - 08/29/05 02:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

bah nicotine must be almost non existent in the hooka tobacco because I had no withdrawal effects. Cigs are not tobacco, they are tobacco and a shitload of chemicals.

--------------------

Invisiblefreakygurl
Stranger
Re: Tasty herbal smokes? *DELETED* [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4593985 - 08/29/05 03:17 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by freakygurl

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4593988 - 08/29/05 03:17 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I smoke lavender... I actualy picked a huge jar full of lavender, and then proceeded to cure them with some grapefruit wrines... Turned out pretty damn tasty... I sent some out to a few shroomerites who asked for some and they thought it was delicious... You should look into that.

InvisiblePsychoChipmunk
Small, Furry, Disturbed

Loc: A hole in your back yard
Re: Tasty herbal smokes? [Re: freakygurl]
    #4594267 - 08/29/05 05:43 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Vaka said:
Hmm,
Quote:

Amber_Glow said:
I am not looking for a marijuana substitute, but rather more of a tobacco substitute.

Quote:

Fluxburn said:
What the hell are you thinking? Marijuana is a scared drug and you are trying to emulate its effects though some other product. That doesn't quite make sense.

I call dumbass!

Quote:

Fluxburn said:
stupid women do all the marketing these days. This reminds me of that stupid herbal e crap.[...} to call it herbal e is just some stupid marketing gimic made by women. Now if you are a man, which maybe you aren't by the name of Amber_Glow (that sounds very feminine to me) then you don't buy bullshit.

I'll see your dumbass, raise you a chauvinist.

--------------------
\m/

Edited by PsychoChipmunk (08/29/05 06:11 AM)

OfflineGulGen
Old Bird
Male User Gallery

Loc: I live in the Internet
    #4594377 - 08/29/05 09:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I recommend folding while you can, so you don't get stuck with the dumbass and chauvanist that people are tossing into the pot. They're so difficult to get rid of once they latch onto you.

And a bit more on topic, word has it that species of pedicularis are quite tasty. Some have a pretty impressive sedative effect as well. I believe I've heard that Elephant's Head (Pedicularis groenlandica) is supposed to taste best while Indian Warrior (Pedicularis densiflora) is the most psychoactive. I'm sure you can find more info / vendors with some quick searches if you're interested.

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#4594561 - 08/29/05 11:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for all the replies so far!

I have heard about passion flower and am certainly considering that. Lavendar sounds quite tasty although I have never heard of smoking it, and I will have to look into this pedicularis stuff.

I do not want to smoke any sort of tobacco (just quit smoking cigarettes).

InvisibleInnominate
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4594677 - 08/29/05 12:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

Re: Tasty herbal smokes? [Re: Innominate]
    #4594929 - 08/29/05 01:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS:  HERBAL SMOKING MIXTURES  :thumbup: :thumbup:

:rasta:

here is some more info that might be of use (BoHF):

"Coltsfoot has been used in many smoking mixtures, however it is an expectorant and can cause excessive coughing if used alone or in quantity. This could be good if you need to clean you lungs.

Good bases for a tobacco like smoking mixture would include astringent herbs and barks like Kinnikkinik, Manzanita; Dogwood bark, willow bark, and others. These have a "thick" quality with a minimum of mental effects. They can be too strong to smoke alone.

Flavoring herbs include the sages, mints, aromatic herbs and roots. Sometimes these are too strong to smoke alone, so mix with a base.

Lobelia has lobeline in it, an ingredient that your body "sees" as nicotine and is used in prescription chewing gum for quiting smoking. Dosage is important as this is a strong herb not to be used alone, at most a tspoon with an ounce of other herbs.

----------

Barks were a standard ingredient of Native American smoking mixtures, at least on the West Coast of the United States. The good smoking barks are usually astringents, and have medicinal value for external burns, cuts, etc. Smoked, however, they have no medicinal effects, and no apparent psysiological effect other than the act of smoking. They have a dull thick flavor that adds "body" to the smoke. They can be too "raspy" to smoke alone. Willow and Dogwood bark are two common barks. Use the thin barked willows, or inner layer of the thicker barks for best results. If possible, cut the bark into very thin strips to approximate a fine cut virginian tobacco.This isn't always possible, but it helps to make the smoking mixture easier to deal with for rolling and mixing other herbs.

Another astringents you can use for hearty smoking mixture bases are:

* Madrone Bark or leaf (very strong, mix a little in the mix),
    * Manzanita bark or leaf (also very strong).
    * Pipsissewa, Price's Pine, Chimaphila umbellata, is a very mild astringent and can be smoked alone. The lightest smoke on this list. Use the leaves.
    * Pyrola, Pyrola sp. is almost exactly the same chemically as Pipsissewa, use the leaves.
    * Kinnikkinnik, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, Bearberry is the standard for the Northwestern smoking mixture. Its not as strong as the barks, but stronger than the last two. The leaves are usually used, but it is possible to smoke the bark. Kinnikkinnik is an Indian word for smoking mixture. It is true they smoked Kinnikkinnik (the plant), but usually the "kinnikkinnik" they smoked also contained willow bark and other ingredients. This confused some of the ethnobotanists cataloging their herb usage, so be aware of this when reading "Indian Uses for Herbs" type books..

----------

A number of factors contribute to making a smoking mix palatable. First and foremost is the way you cure the herbs. If you take fresh tobacco and dry it like any medicinal herb, it becomes an unpalatable obnoxious smoke that the most hardcore smoker couldn't stomach (or lung, as the case may be). Tobacco is semi-dried slowly, allowing for chemical changes, and is never dried to a crisp. It is packaged slightly moist in air tight containers. If it dries out, the smoker adds an apple slice or sprays it with water. Dried out tobacco is harsh.

Herbal smoking blends are similar. In most cases you do not want the herbs to be dried crispy. It's OK for some of the ingredients, but as a whole the mixture should be ever so slightly moist. Try spraying your mixtures, or adding an apple slice. Experiment with it. Some of the most flavorful smoking ingredients need to actually dry slow, and cure, but the majority are best picked fresh and just not dried completely. Package in an airtight container.

Next is the consistancy of the mixture. The herbs should be well mixed. Finely shredded barks can help. By far the best physical base for a smoking mixture is mullein, Verbascum thapsus. It is a fine medicinal for the lungs, even smoked. It soothes imflammed or infected lungs, and prevents coughing until infection or inflammation is broken. Then it aids in expectoration, helping to break up congestion and promote "effective" coughing. It was smoked to stop the coughing of tuberculosis years ago. It is wonderful for any kind of lung cleansing. It has no physical psychological effect. It also has almost no flavor and is a very light smoke. The average smoker would feel like they're smoking air.

Crispy dried crushed mullein is a lousy smoke. Mostly dried mullein should be rubbed for the best results. Roll the leaves in your hands for a while, it will become very fluffy and puffy. This fuzzy rubbed mullein will evenly burn when smoked in papers or pipe. It will hold other herbs that are in the form of small pieces and powder, and keep them evenly distributed. And it has no flavor! Ideal for a smoking base. I like the light green baby leaves found in the center of the first year basal rossette, but its a matter of personal choice. Any leaf will work.

Sometimes I put the mullein in a blender before mixing. It becomes very fluffy, but it lacks the "personal" touch hand rubbing gives.

Finally, the amounts and kinds of flavoring herbs you use will change the palatability. You need to just play with it until you get it right.

Unfortunately, most commercially available herbal smoking blends don't properly prepare, cure, and package the herbs. They often have good recipes, and I have to assume the manufacturers have the best intentions but lack of resourses or knowledge. Some are still good enough to smoke. Very few rival even the simplest hand picked, rubbed and/or cured, and semi-dried do it yourself mix.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a satisfying alternative."

:sun:

Offlinefatalerror
ass asscott
Female User Gallery

Re: Tasty herbal smokes? [Re: puwtrip]
    #4595497 - 08/29/05 05:33 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Passionflower: I have a few ounces of dried flowers sitting right in front of me, and let me tell you: it is crap to smoke rolled up. Smoke it in a bong, it hits smooth, a little tasty, and gives you a definite buzz (not just from hittin the bong, either). Iamshaman.com sells a lot of the more popular "herbal buds" for MUCH less than other companies carrying the same product. I have heard the "BC Dro" and "Krypto" are not to harsh tasting, with no "herbal headache" I've heard about... just my 2 cents

--------------------
eat poop

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden