Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Herbal contraceptives?
    #3091649 - 09/04/04 04:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My girlfriend insist that there are effective herbal contraceptives.

She doesn't like condoms (who does?) and thinks perscription birth control will mess with her body too much.

She mentioned Penny Royal Oil.

Anyone know anything about natrual birth control?

I don't want any children just yet, and I also don't want to put that much trust in something inneffective.

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Herbal contraceptives? [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #3091994 - 09/04/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

does she has any problems with the usual medications? there's nothing wrong with med contraceptives...
i don't know the name of any but indeed there are some plants used as contraceptives and even as abortives.
anyways... i would recommend the PHARMS, better safe than sorry.

FH

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Herbal contraceptives? [Re: felixhigh]
    #3092040 - 09/04/04 06:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I wouldn't fuck around with contraceptives that might not work, use what is proven to work.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Re: Herbal contraceptives? [Re: gdman]
    #3092658 - 09/04/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That's what I am saying, but tricking her body into thiking she's pregnant for so long seems a little unnatrual.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

#3093057 - 09/04/04 11:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i am very sorry to disappoint you but you're also likely to find female hormones in such plants so the mechanism might be quite similar...

FH

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #3093069 - 09/04/04 11:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

there have been many in use by both the indians and the egyptians, I cant remember what they were but I do remember the wormwood can induce a miscarriage...

I'll check with my grandmother about them...

OfflineAsanteA
light your candle on my love
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
    #3094451 - 09/05/04 11:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

DO NOT RELY ON PENNYROYAL OIL

Pennyroyal oil can work, but it can also easily kill or maim in small doses if used wrongly.

If a chemical contraceptive fails a baby wails.

If a "natural contraceptive" fails she might give birth to a Ninja Turtle meaning many herbs act mutagenic when used in such doses.(birth defects)

DO NOT GIVE HERBAL BIRTH CONTROL ADVICE AS SOME PEOPLE WILL TRY TO ABUSE THIS ADVICE FOR ILLEGAL ABORTION AND EITHER SUCCEED OR BOTCH IT

If there was a good, safe and reliable herbal remedy that was up to standard, don't you think it would be the best-selling contraceptive?

This does not mean she has to take the contraceptive dude! Why don't you?

This sounds like bullshit, but it is not. Our Dutch pharmaceutical company called Organon some while back was perfecting the male contraceptive which is comprised of a monthly injection of a slow-release testosterone-like hormone, an anabolic steroid, in a dose thats just right to make you infertile as a male, until a few months after the last dose.
This was supposed to be a general-population contraceptive, meaning it likely can be safely used on most men. Perhaps its out already!

Why should women take the chemical stuff when you as the male can carry that burden? Don't take the female pill (onlike her you will get PMS if you take female hormones) but get the right stuff through the doctor. Remember that if you take the male contraceptive you get the pure, correct-dose stuff that bodybuilders pay shifty dealers big money for, and that you can meet her PMS with male aggression  :shocked:

Contraceptives: a truely big deal.

Note: the natural contraceptive is to engage in gay sex and go straight when its cradletime. Remember: Jesus was born from a Virgin, but Gay sex has yet to produce its first conception :grin:

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineRemut
Green Thumb
Re: Herbal contraceptives? [Re: Asante]
    #3094453 - 09/05/04 11:23 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Croccodile dung was use in ancient times. You could buy it off the net or just about anything now

--------------------
DO what I Would

OfflineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

Re: Herbal contraceptives? [Re: Remut]
    #3094461 - 09/05/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Crocodile dung.. Knew that one!

Makes for an interesting versation piece:
"Girl: what is that nasty smell coming from that handbag?"
"It's my biologic, all-organic contraceptive!"
"With that smell you couldn't get layed if you payed!"

..aside from repelling possible partners crocodile dung is not nearly as effective as conventional contraceptives.

--------------------

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3094462 - 09/05/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Pennyroyal oil can work, but it can also easily kill or maim in small doses if used wrongly.

If a "natural contraceptive" fails she might give birth to a Ninja Turtle meaning many herbs act mutagenic when used in such doses.(birth defects)

If there was a good, safe and reliable herbal remedy that was up to standard, don't you think it would be the best-selling contraceptive?

Yes, I read up on penny royal oil a little. It can be used to kill fleas. I do think that if there was an effective herbal contraceptive it would be used widely. As a matter of fact that's what I told her, she kept insisting there must be something, which is what lead to this post. Even if there was something that came highly recomended I wouldn't trust it.

OfflineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

#3094532 - 09/05/04 11:54 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm we're into this for her are we? :smirk:

How come you waive abstinence man?  Just say No :evil:

Honesty has it there is such a thing. But it is likely to produce damage to subsequent attempted babies years later and it is likely to produce intravaginal cancers.

All egg-cells she'll ever have are already in her body. Imagine the damage possibilities.. This is why I strongly disrecommend use of contraceptives that feature Nonoxynol or similar "spermicides" present on some condoms and in spermicide creams.

Use regular contraceptives and get the Morning After Pill when needed and where legal, but please do not use spermicides as I with my biochemical knowledge have a strong hunch (hunch) that they can cause birth defects by damage to either eggcells or the tissues that produce spermcells.

I am a herbalist. I have sound medical knowledge. I can tell you that to my knowledge theres no safe reliable advice to give her. Let her take it up with a doctor, he'll agree.

The worst case scenario is damage to her future offspring, and it is not at all unrealistic. If you feed your pet rat pieces of orange, it is likely to get cancer. 75% of people worldwide is "lactose intolerant" yet milk is still concidered an essential food by many.
There is no telling if a herb will have unexpected side effects, but modern contraceptives are used by millions and known to be very safe in the large majority.

Since neither of you volunteer to get sterilized future offspring is still open to debate, so no experimenting in the fertility department!

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
    #3097499 - 09/06/04 02:35 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by TheHateCamel (12/08/07 02:04 PM)

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

#3099078 - 09/06/04 02:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

there is a natural birth control way. you can do sweet sweet love without the latex and without worries on her unfertile days, its until 4 days after menstruation.
latex sucks but it's a bad thing that comes for the well of us...

FH

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3099708 - 09/06/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Oh jesus christ!!!! I'm very Glad that Wiccan_Seeker posted some  sound and logical information. I was getting worried that my absence this weekend would be bad for you int he context of this thread.

Lemme clarify and reieterate a few things, be nitpicky and provide some background information.

If there were proven safe contraceptives  that were herbals they'd be probably the best selling, but they're not (nope, no mega huge drug company conspiracy here, please look else where Rx cmopany bashers)  (side, note i don't like drug cmopanies either, but definitely there is no case with herbal remedies here, cause if there were, the drug cmopanies would have extracted the compounds and started producing drugs).

The most common preparations of birth control and the morning after pill are combinations of progestin and a synthetic estrogen. The Morning After Pill is just a massive dose of a general oral contraceptive containing the Proges/Estro ratio. The reason for synthetic is that natural hormones are destroyed by the liver immediately, but synthetics are chemically modified so that they can be absorbed and effectively metabolized slowly.  In a typical regimen, a woman takes one pill each day for about three weeks. Then for one week she takes a sugar pill that allows menstruation to occur because of the withdrawal of the hormones. Essentially it's not needed to take this sugar pill, it is only included to keep the woman in the habit of taking a pill daily. The taking/or not taking of the pill allows menstruation to occur because of the withdrawal of the hormones. When taken correctly, these pills are about 99.7% effective.

How it works:
The pill work sby preventing ovulation. When postovulatory levels of ovarian hormones are maintained in the blood, the body is "tricked" (for lack of a better word) into responding as though conception has occured. The pituitary gland is inhibited and does not produce the surge of a hormone abbreviated LH  (luteinizing hormone) that stimulates ovulation. The biggest advantage is that oral contraceptives have a high rate of effectiveness. They're also beneficial in regulating menstrual cycles and decreasing menstrual flow. Birth control is also prescribed to control painful periods known as dysmennorhea. It can be quite painful and debihiltating 3 days usually. Birth control gets that pain under control.

Studies suggest that women over the age of 35 who smoke or have other risk factors, such as untreated high blood pressure, should not take the pill. Women in this category who take the pill have an increased risk of death from cardiovascular diseases such as a stroke or an M.I.

Some good news, the new low-dose oral contraceptive pills appear to be safe for nonsmokers up to the time of menopause. Oral contraceptives are linked to deaths in about 3 per 100,000 users. This compares favorable with the death rate of about 9 per 100,000 pregnancies.

There are other options such as injections, implants, and IUDs (intra uterin devices). They have essentially the same hormones in them.

A word about Nonoxynyl-9, Nonoxynyl-9 is actually a detergent. It is used in some shaving creams and was before Sodium Lauryl and Sodium Laureth Sulfate were used due to how cheap it is. However both SLS's are much harsher than Nonoxynol-9, that's why you'll still find Nonoxynol-9 used in sensitive skin formulas of shaving creams and soaps.

The biggest problems with nonoxynol nine are a woman's sensitivity to it, even though it's used in sensitive skin applications. Many woman who are sensitive to N-9 get pain and burning and have little to no other recourse because all other chemical spermacides are illegal in the US while they are legal in the European Union.

About N-9 and mutations. A woman has all the egg cells she'll ever have, and they're all pretty much formed, some aren't mature, but the process of meiosis for nearly every single egg cell has completed long before puberty. The biggest dangers with egg cell mutations occur with Old Egg cells (cause literally the DNA is old) and the DNA becomes damaged, it literally does just flap around inside the cytoplasm. The other danger of mutations occurs during the process of egg formation that has already happened by the time you're born.

The dangers i think most people are concerned with are what's called Terratogenic effects. A terratogen is something that causes birth defects.  We saw this happen when the process for synthesizing Thalidomide (an anti nausea angent given to pregnant women) was changed for mass-production. The created optical isomers that weren't created in the original small scale synthesis. One of the optical isomers of Thalidomide was a terratogen and specifically worked on inhibiting arm and leg bud maturation of an early fetus, having mostly children that were born without arms or legs or had flippers.

The view of medical community and laboratory and longitudinal studies,, and here is where i'll differ with Wiccan_Seeker, is that Nonoxynol-9 aside from allergic reaction is safe. If pregnancy does occur (use of spermacides alone produces about 21 out of a 100 chance of conception) does not cause terratogenic effects or cause mutation of gonadal sex cells in eithe male or female. If i were to be worried about cell mutations of a sex cell, the one i'd be most worried about is my sperm as they're made over and over and over again throughout a man's life, and contact with some things could call germ cell/sex cell mutations. So when you walk through an x-ray cover up your junk  :grin: 

About the male contraceptive/pill. Male contraceptives are much harder to make, the biggest and first stumbling block that had to be tackled was cell specific entrance. When you take hormones/drugs/whatever, for the most of them they go everywhere in your body, your feet, your liver, your lungs, intestings, brain, etc.. And at the time and perhaps still now targetting only Nurse and or Germ cells int he testes was hard and the methods they used to stop the production, since it would go everywhere in the body, made other things not function right. As i'm not up to date with the research i can't tell you if they've been able to target enter only germ/nurse cells of the male testes.  But it's in the works, and i'd guess perhaps another 5 - 8 years off before it's marketted.

About Morning After Pillls.
The most common Morning After Pill is just a high dose of normal oral birth control. The high dose changes the lining of the uterus (endometrium), so that the embryo cannot implant in the uterine wall.  Often enough fertilization occurs and even without drugs/pills/abortions the zygote/fetus cannot implant in the uterus. Many women have been "pregnant" but never new it since the embryo/zygote didn't implant in the endometrium. Taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex, they are about 75% effective in preventing pregnancy.

The other pill that's been so demonized as of late is the RU-486. The chemical in it is called Mifepristone, and it binds competitively with progesterone receptors in the uterus, but does not activate them. Because the normal actions of progesterone are blocked, the endometrium breaks down (as it would if it were going to be shed in menstruation), and uterine contractions occur. These conditions prevent implanation of an embryo. It can also be used to abort an already implanted embryo.

I'm sure we all know of the rhythm method, if you'd like a good explanation of that, perhaps just look it up on the web.

Some myths about birth control.

I. Taking a "Rest" from the Pill
- No evidence suggests that taking a rest from the pill is medically necessary or beneficial. On the other hand, taking a rest from the pill may lead to unintended pregnancy and induced abortion. Studies have found that a woman who stops taking the pill may not use another form of birth control or may switch to a less effective method, thus increasing her risk of unintended pregnancy.

In addition, taking a rest from the pill can cause compliance problems. Side effects such as breakthrough bleeding, bloating, and nausea can result in early discontinuation of the pill.

I. Birth Defects
-Many women are concerned about the possibility of birth defects with oral contraceptive use. For example, 11% of teens seen in an adolescent clinic were concerned that the pill would cause birth defects. Two review articles and a recent meta-analysis found no association between oral contraceptives and birth defects.
-I'll provide citations for this one (Wilson JG, Brent RL. Are female sex hormones teratogenic? Am J Obstet Gynecol 1981;141:567-580.

Simpson JL, Phillips OP. Spermicides, hormonal contraception and congenital malformations. Adv Contracept 1990;6:141-167.
Bracken MB. Oral contraception and congenital malformations in offspring: a review and meta-analysis of the prospective studies. Obstet Gynecol 1990;76:552-557.)

III Post-Pill Bleeding.
Little evidence exists to suggest that oral contraceptives cause "post-pill amenorrhea."Reports of post-pill amenorrhea, or irregular menstruation and anovulation, began appearing in the 1960s. Estimates of its frequency ranged from 0.2% to 3%.3 Researchers found that post-pill amenorrhea was more likely to occur in women who had never given birth. The condition was unrelated to duration of use.

Later reviews suggested that about half of post-pill amenorrhea cases were unrelated to OC use, and noted that OC use likely had masked an earlier condition. By 1981, estimates concerning post-pill amenorrhea indicated its occurrence to be less than 1 in 1,000.

Because OCs are commonly used to treat menstrual cycle disorders, when OCs are discontinued, menstrual irregularity, including amenorrhea, often returns to its prior pattern.5 Amenorrhea after discontinuation of OCs should be investigated to determine its cause; however, OC use likely masked the condition, rather than caused it.

IV Stunted Growth Among Young Teens
Some young teens or their parents may be concerned about whether taking oral contraceptives will stunt a young woman's growth. The origin of this myth may stem from the known effect of estrogen on bone growth plate growth. Young women predicted to have excessively tall stature are sometimes treated with high doses of estrogen for several years in order to accelerate bone maturation and limit final height. This practice may explain why an association has been suggested between the pill and incomplete growth.

The prescription of most OCs is given after full maturation of long bones in young women. This is because the cessation of long both growth for young women occurs before the onset of regular periods.

That's pretty much all i can think of for now. Final thought is this, most of the new drugs we have are untested longitudinally. The Pill is perhaps one of the oldest new influx of medications (that is you could consider it part of the Rx boom that includes viagra and paxil) that, thus far has shown no real dangers or warranties that suggest removal from the market. We simply don't have that kind of assurance with most of the newer medications that are prescribed like candy. Take home message is, many generations of women have been on the pill since it's inception and the oldest women are still alive now and in good health (for the most part, but not due to birth control [i.e. diseases like Alzheimer's, etc..])  It is safe. It works, and in most cases it's VERY cheap. Go to planned parent hood, talk to some counselors, and Doctors, have her discuss this with her own doctor too. The information presented here by me or by anyone else should NOT be a  subsitute for a Doctor's consultation.

And for God's sakes please don't use any herbal alternatives. Especially the Pennyroyal Oil.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Re: Herbal contraceptives? [Re: neuro]
    #3099783 - 09/06/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

wow neuro...
you DO sound like a graduated gynecologist! :wink:

FH

OfflineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

#3099872 - 09/06/04 06:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

*gracefully bows*

Chapeau Neuro! That was one of the most thorough sci posts I've seen here onsite. And you brought it lightly without losing content.
You really know your shit, thanks for taking da stick where I could not :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#3100073 - 09/06/04 07:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You guys give me too much credit. It's not like all of this came off the top of my head, the directions and things i wanted to include, but to get a good elaboration and check to make sure my thoughts were completely correct i had to still look in my school books. Thanks for the appraisals though =)

OfflineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

#3100143 - 09/06/04 08:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

But you did that! You put the books on your lap and punched in 1.000 words to get the message across. Quality of character man! :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#3100182 - 09/06/04 08:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

heh, thanks.  :blush:

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
    #3102613 - 09/07/04 11:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Stay far, far, away from this woman.

She either wants to have your baby and doesn't care about your feelings or she is incredibly childish and shouldn't be having sex.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden