Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Herbal Painkiller
    #2621192 - 04/30/04 01:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

A few months back somebody posted about a legal pain killing herb that is used in Chinese medicine. I have tried a few searches but I can't find it. Its supposed to be a strong as morphine. If you posted this or know what I am talking about, could you please tell me the name?

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Herbal Painkiller [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #2621237 - 04/30/04 02:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Corydalis Yanhuoso (sp? on last part)

Other Corydalis species...containing THP. I have some of the 80% thp extract and it is definetly active but I'm unsure on dosage

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Herbal Painkiller [Re: Organic]
    #2621266 - 04/30/04 02:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Do you know what it's Chinese name is by any chance?
Its "Yan Hu Suo" I thought that there was an x in one of those names for some reason.... Anyways thanks a bunch. I wasn't expecting the answer so soon. Particularly not from the first response. Thanks again.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Edited by mr_minds_eye (04/30/04 02:16 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Herbal Painkiller [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #2621301 - 04/30/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

No, Corydalis yanhusuo is the correct spelling though. Yan Hu Suo is supposedly the "common name". Tetra hydropalmatine is the chem, along with some protopine (also found in poppies).

Here are some bits and pieces

"They say if you soak the powder in vinegar it increases the effects. I don't know if your supposed to just drink the vinegar or eat the powder along with the vinegar though. "

and http://www.nimh.btinternet.co.uk/ejhm/3_2_mm1.htm

Anonymous

Re: Herbal Painkiller [Re: Organic]
    #2621304 - 04/30/04 02:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry, apparently that link died.

Quote:

Corydalis ambigua (C. yanhusuo, Corydalis)

The tuber of this and other Chinese Corydalis spp. contains several Papaveraceae type alkaloids, including tetrahydropalmatine (THP). Corydalis is traditionally used as an analgesic, and also possesses sedative and tranquillising actions.8,9 Potentiation of the analgesic effects of acupuncture has also been found for Corydalis.10

Numerous somewhat complicated changes in dopamine (DA) mechanisms, are now known to be associated with both active opiate use and the withdrawal period.3,4,5

Corydalis cava exhibits a number of influences on enzymes involved in the metabolism of catecholamines including DA.13 THP also has antagonistic properties on postsynaptic DA receptors and enhances the effects of the DA antagonist antipsychotic drug haloperidol.14 It is possible, however, that THP is more potent as an antagonist at presynaptic rather than postsynaptic DA receptors,15 which could cause a net potentiation of dopaminergic activity through inhibition of this neuronal negative feedback mechanism. THP also produces significant reductions in the concentrations of NA and DA in the cortex and brain stem, and increases DA turnover.15

Similar effects have recently been related to the protective effect against opiate withdrawal symptoms in mice by the anti-asthma drug sodium cromoglycate.16 Like sodium cromoglygate, THP also increases the turnover of serotonin in the cortex in both control and morphine-dependent mice.14

Inhibition of the breakdown of endogenous opiates is a strategy which may have potential value in assisting the opiate withdrawal process. Agents which inhibit the catabolism of enkephalins are therefore currently being investigated as possible new treatments for opiate withdrawal.17

Such inhibition of the catabolism of endogenous opiates may also be contributory to the mode of action of Corydalis spp. in assisting opiate withdrawal. The peroxidase- catalysed dimerisation of the opiate agonist met-enkephalin, is strongly inhibited by an extract of Corydalis cava.18A proprietary product containing a mixture of 1 part Corydalis cava and 4 parts Eschscholtzia californica, has also been found to stimulate the formation of some products of enkephalin metabolism while inhibiting that of others,18 and to have sedative properties in animals.19

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden