Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Possible edible id please.
    #4567235 - 08/22/05 04:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I found a mushroom. It is almond white all over. The stem is 3 inches long, thick and meaty. The cap is about 2.5 3 inches across. Gills were pink, turning brown, droping chocolate brown spore print. Veil yes. Found yesterday. Temps have been 75-90 f. The base of the stem is fat. Im hoping it is an edible agaricus, please help if you can.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Edited by Psychoslut (08/22/05 05:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4567398 - 08/22/05 05:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmmmmm, Agaricus can be pretty hard to ID, especially with just a pic of a cap.

The only poisonous agaricus in the UK is the yellow stainer (Agaricus Xanthoderma) which discolors vividly chrome yellow if bruised and smells unpleasantly of carbolic or ink when old or during cooking.

Don't know about poisonous Agaricus species in the States/Canada though :shrug:

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4568012 - 08/22/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

eh, i wouldnt eat that if i was starving. mud would be more appealing.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4568103 - 08/22/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
eh, i wouldnt eat that if i was starving. mud would be more appealing.

No?

I picked some agaricus the other day and made bruschetta (agaricus, garlic, roasted red peppers, onion, black olives and parmesan).

I'm going out tomorrow to pick some more!  :grin:

--------------------

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4568125 - 08/22/05 08:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The stem is just a stem man, it wouldnt make or break the i-d. It has a viel like and inch and a half under the cap ( when it was on) and it had a big base, by base i mean the first half inch of stem from the ground up was fatter than the rest.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4568353 - 08/22/05 09:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i dont know what it is, wait for toxicman or gumby or something with more shroomology knowledge to answer wether or not its an edible.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4568797 - 08/22/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

To have any real shot at an accurate ID we need to know what color it bruises and what the odor is.

To bruise it, cut it in half and scrape the inside hard enough to bruise the tissue. It can take up to an hour for color changes to occur.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4569669 - 08/23/05 07:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, bruising color is key for Agaricus IDs, but the scent can be important in certain instances.
Tell us what it smells like as well as.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4569697 - 08/23/05 07:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

IF i had to ID from looks alone i would say Agaricus bitorquis or something similar, but that's a long shot. Don't take that guess into consideration please.
We also need a description of the habitiat, and a shot of the underside with the stem if possible.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4572788 - 08/23/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It bruises a little darker brown, and it takes forever. The smell is like portabella. Just a normal mushroom smell, you know earthy. I found it growing ten feet from a creek. There was like 5 others that was decayed.

--------------------

Edited by Psychoslut (08/23/05 09:13 PM)

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

#4575100 - 08/24/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Is the creek in a wooded area? What kind of trees [if so]?
Are you sure that it bruised brown, and not dark pink?

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

#4575313 - 08/24/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

phenolic/carbolic/ink odor and yellow bruising = bad

almond, aniseed or store bought mushroomy odor = good.

--------------------

--------------------

Edited by Bi0TeK (08/24/05 03:41 PM)

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Possible edible id please. [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4582095 - 08/25/05 10:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

We have elm trees, oaks, maples, and some others i dont know the name of.

The mushroom smelled like a good eating mushroom.

The mushroom never was a pink color at all. The gills was pink when the mushroom was young, then they turned brown. The mushroom was like white with a little tanish tint, you can see the pic.

--------------------

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

#4584334 - 08/26/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well, Ive come to the conclusion that it is probably Agaricus bitorquis, but like Biotek said, Agaricus species can be hard to ID.
My ID is based on the fact that the mushroom has a whitish appearance, bruises brown, has pink (turning chocolate brown) gills, and smells like a portabella.
The only thing that does not fit is the size; Agaricus bitorquis usually has a short stem (in proportion with the cap), but your mushroom apparently doesn't have the short stem. Other than that, it matches up nicely, and the short stem is not an absolute must. If i were you, i would take the initiative to do some research of my own and confirm this ID, but you may do as you please. Most similar species are non-toxic, but there are a few (you should familiarize yourself with these).
The most similar species is Agaricus bernardii (edible), which stains pink and has a distinctly different odor than portabella.

Agaricus bitorquis is a choice edible, considered one of the best species of Agaricus.

Here's a good place to go if you would like to do some research:
http://www.mykoweb.com

EDIT: After reading back through this thread, i see that it was mentioned several times that the stem was quite thick. This discredits my comment about the stem being unproportional. I am almost positive now that you do indeed have Agaricus bitorquis, but you should still do your own research.
I can only help you so much from a computer screen.

Edited by Lysergic_Milkman (08/26/05 07:43 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract