Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecalishrooms
prodigy
are there any portabella look alikes?
    #2011722 - 10/15/03 05:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i seem to have found 3 portabella mushrooms growing under some rohedendrons bushes over here in nothern california. they have caps that are light brown, kinda wrinkled slightly ,flat; (2 are fully mature, the other one is conical, not yet flat,) and the two biggest are 3in in diameter. They leave a brown sporeprint, and have hollow, meaty fiberous stems. They have deep brown gills that are extremely close together and stop abruptly 2-3mm away from where the stem connects where there is a white ring. The stem is about 5-7cm long and buise a deeper brown than they arleady are. They smell sweet exactly like portabellas, and are some meaty mother fuckers, nice white meat. Lastly they have and open veils 2-3cm from the stem-cap connection. They were aparently growing off a root mass or something of that nature. I wish to know of any deadly look-alikes if there are any of the portabella sp. thanks for everybody's time. I've learned so much from this place over 2 years and don't ever want to stop. This would be my first succesful find this year, i'm anxious to throw these in a frying pan with some white wine and onions.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: are there any portabella look alikes? [Re: calishrooms]
    #2012076 - 10/15/03 07:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Portabellas are Agaricus bisporus, and your mushrooms sound like members of that genus.

Unfortunately, identification to species in Agaricus is fairly difficult. There are a couple things you can tell us to help make sure thay are at least not one of the poisonous species.

Cut one of the fresh mushrooms in half vertically and scrape the inside cut surface with your knife edge to bruise it. Watch for color changes, which may occur rapidly or may take up to an hour. You should note any early changes (within a couple minutes) and any which have occurred after an hour.

We need to know about any distinctive odors. I note that you say they smell exactly like the mushrooms from the store, but try sniffing the cut one right after you cut it, near the top and bottom of the stem. If the smell is still mild, try crushing the base of the stem with your fingertips and sniffing it again. The smell you're hoping you *don't* smell is described in mycology books as phenolic. It can also be described as metallic, ink-like, or like library paste (among other things). Another possible smell is a sweet smell like almond extract.

There are definitely poisonous species of Agaricus, but none of them are considered deadly. If you were to eat one of the poisonous species, you would have an unpleasant evening of nausea, vomiting, headaches, and diarrhea (those are the most common symptoms).

There are also many species of edible Agaricus. the mushrooms you buy at the grocery are not one of the better ones. The really good edible Agaricus species are *very* good.

If it appears that these are one of the edible ones, you should eat only a small portion the first time. Unfortunately, Agaricus causes an unusual number of "individual reactions" - a fancy term that means that some people still get sick from eating a mushroom most everybody can eat safely. If you eat only a small amount, then if you get sick you won't get as sick as if you ate a bunch. Save the rest in the refrigerator, just as you would mushrooms you bought at the store. If you don't get sick overnight, enjoy the rest!

Incidentally, it's reasonably likely that your mushrooms are actually Agaricus bisporus, the usual button mushroom from the grocery (and portabellas). I have heard Rick Kerrigan (the North American authority on the genus) say that this species is spreading rapidly and displacing native species throughout North America. One of the sources is people throwing out old grocery mushrooms into their compost heaps or into their yards.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecalishrooms
prodigy
Re: are there any portabella look alikes? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2012487 - 10/15/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

wow! thanks for all the information. I cut them as you said and upon initial scrapping the white flesh turned a light yellow which eventually turned brown. Unfortunately the fresh cut does smell like a library or ink so i think i will avoid sampling them. I love eating mushrooms, but a night of vomiting does not sound fun. Thanks so much for all the help.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: are there any portabella look alikes? [Re: calishrooms]
    #2012608 - 10/15/03 09:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If they stain yellow and smell phenolic, then they are in the subgenus with Agaricus xanthodermus, which is poisonous.

Better luck next time.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: are there any portabella look alikes? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2013557 - 10/16/03 03:17 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

>Rick Kerrigan say that this species is spreading rapidly and displacing
>native species throughout North America.

Is displacing really what happens? Or does it merely coexist?

I?m asking because I frequently find native species growing on my self made outdoor mushroom beds along with the planted, alien species.

Offlinecalishrooms
prodigy
Re: are there any portabella look alikes? [Re: Anno]
    #2014064 - 10/16/03 11:06 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

it would depend on how aggressive the mycileum is and how effective it is when competing for sources of food wouldn't it?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: are there any portabella look alikes? [Re: Anno]
    #2014662 - 10/16/03 03:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

He made it clear that it seems to be an aggressive species that is crowding out native species in some areas. He said that it is now the dominant species in some areas of the US, where it used to not be found at all.

But your question is interesting. I'll try to remember to ask him the next time I see him (I have no idea when that might be).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification