Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefreebird
Stranger
Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? * 1
    #349903 - 06/27/01 09:04 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Are there any knows look alike shrooms that r poisonious or somtin to Psilocybe cubensis???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: freebird] * 1
    #349978 - 06/27/01 11:28 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

ah hyuck. yup. there SUUUUURE is! hyuck hyuck hyuck

madness never slows down, it only piles up.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: Mitchnast] * 1
    #350007 - 06/27/01 12:09 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Freebird posted something very important, Mitchnast! He would like to know if there are poisonous or deadly look-alikes to Ps. cubensis.
You responded with a complete DIS' that would make the average curious mushroom hunter either not want to stick around and learn valuable information about mushrooms or just completely hate this site! Considering you've got that little M at the end of your username, with the green color, you should be more helpful than harmful! We don't want Freebird to get sick, do we?! Why not share your knowledge, rather than put someone down and neglect them, as you did.
Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: Levi7] * 1
    #350015 - 06/27/01 12:15 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

i said yes. happy? am i supposed to also list all the speceis and all the diferences? he could find it himself if he can read half as well as he can write. weather or not he poisons himself is up to him and is no concern of mine.

Edited by Mitchnast on 06/27/01 02:18 PM.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #350020 - 06/27/01 12:24 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

It should be YOUR PROBLEM! You're a moderator and should help a person out, when needed. Even if you weren't a moderator, you're still a mushroom person. Doesn't that make you wanna help a person out, or are you just a dick that wants to get high and look at everyone else as a dumb-ass piece of shit?! -Levi7.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#350023 - 06/27/01 12:31 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

i dont look at EVRYONE as a dumb ass :)
and as a mod its not my job to help. its my job to moderate. and BTW. its no my job to moderate THIS forum :)
i can be a dick sometimes when it suits me, thats why im free and unrestrained. I dis who i choose and It diddnt look like he was asking a serious question.
but ok ok, i can be nice too. buddy, freebird, you live in VA. forget about P cubensis. sorry, try something else like Paneolus subbaltaetus.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #350026 - 06/27/01 12:38 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry for the above, Freebird! Ps. Cubensis does have a few look-alikes that are poisonous. First off, Ps. cubensis has purple-brown colored spores that will show in the gills, under the cap. Also, it will have a partial veil, a small ring around the stem a little ways under the cap. That veil will have a purple-black color to it. Ps. cubensis grows in cow, or maybe horse, dung.
Some look-alikes could vary from Deadly Amanitas, the destroying angels, which will have WHITE GILLS and SPORES. Also Lepiotas are poisonous look-alikes. they have a varience of white to green gills. You DO NOT want to even PICK a mushroom unless you're certain that the mushroom has Purple-brown gills and spores, with a purple-black partial veil and (almost always) the stem, as well as the cap will turn a bluish color where you touched it or bent it. This is called BRUISING BLUE.
If you Do find some that resemble the GOOD ONES, then be sure to come to this site and give us a description of what you've found and we'll help you, OK!
Stay cool, Freebird!-Levi7.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #350028 - 06/27/01 12:41 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

You suck , you heartless POS! Now, I've got a problem with you too! -Levi7.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#350035 - 06/27/01 12:49 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

you got a problem with alot of people? im not surprised :) heh heh heh

Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
    #350219 - 06/27/01 04:52 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Well, instead of laughing at him, and simply saying "yes", you could have done a little research, and posted one or two types of look-alikes.
You may not think it is all that important, becuase your the big bad mod and he's just an ignorant newcomer (no offense freebird). Why dont you try putting yourself in his position?

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
    #350446 - 06/27/01 10:53 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Well, the term "look-alike" is entirely relative to how well you've learned to really LOOK at things.

Yes there are several mushrooms which can look (superficially) very similar to P. cubensis, and some of them are poisonous. They have the same general size, shape, & stature, and even have a "ring" on the stalk beneath the cap, but differ in other significant details. Many people get sick every year as a result, because they don't look at all the details.

Harmless look-alikes include Stropharia semiglobata and similar Stropharia species. These are remarkably similar in all details, except they're usually smaller and NEVER bruise blue.

Many people get sick from Clorophyllum (Lepiota) moybdites which grows in the same climates except on grass (rather than dung), has dull greenish gray spores, and never bruises blue.

Some people die from deadly Amanita species which are pure white or yellowish to greenish brown, have white spores, grow associated with trees (never on dung) and never bruise blue.

You beginning to catch the drift here? Positive ID comes from the sum of several closely observed details.

Psilocybe cubensis is (1) a medium to largish mushroom which (2) grows on or near cattle dung (3) in tropical or sub-tropical environments, (4) has a yellowish-tan to yellowish-white cap which is bell-shaped when young and umbrella-shaped as it opens out, and grows lighter in color as it dries, (5) has an often pointed bump or nipple in the center of the cap, (6) has dark purplish-brown spores, (7) has a persistent ring or "skirt" of partial veil tissue on the stem under the cap, often colored purplish-brown by falling spores, (8) has a tough, stringy whitish stem, (9) has no trace of a volva (cup- or sac-like structure of cottony material surrounding the base of the stem) though the stem base MAY be slightly bulbous, and (10) stains clearly and unmistakably BLUE where the flesh is bruised or cut, especially at the base of the stem. Extremely fresh, wet specimens may also (11) have a transparent gelatinous pellicle or "skin" which is sticky to the touch & peels easily off the cap. (I may be wrong on this point--but this is a feature of most other Psilocybe species I've picked).

This COMBINATION of features defines P. cubensis as a species. If any of these are noticeably lacking, or different, it isn't P. cubensis.

(The crucial combination of purple-brown spores, sticky (when wet) cap, and stringy whitish stem which stains BLUE, however, most likely indicates an active Psilocybe regardless of habitat).

Enough pedantic preaching from me. You want to learn about cubes, go navigate your way to GGreat one's excellent cubensis site. Lots of pictures & information there, presented with intelligence & humor.

(Disclaimer: last time I picked cubenisis was 18 years ago, near Galveston TX. They don't grow where I live now, but lots of better things do).

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
    #350583 - 06/28/01 06:35 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Yes there are look-a-like Psilocybe cubensis. Take this example from a batch I found a few months ago. The front row of mushrooms, the ones that are smaller and have more golden colored caps are Psilocybe cubensis, the rest are some unknown mushroom. The unknown grew from pony shit, had a black spore print and did not bruise blue. I have never heard of a mushroom that bruises blue, grows directly from cow manure and has a dark pruple spore print that is also poison, so they're pretty easy to ID. Nonetheless, it's easy to see how the pictured mushrooms (especially the smaller ones) could be mistaken for cubes.

Give me a woman that loves beer and I could conquer the world

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #351230 - 06/29/01 05:09 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Hey dude you must have some problems with people for sure, this is a site to gather information and sure there's more like this one (lycaeum,erowid, drool, entheogen...etc). If you go out with the intention to pick wild mushies you must search, read and learn, no mod has the job to explain all that stuff at once, anyway you have to learn some basics to identify any mushsroom, that info is found in webPAGES, or instead do you want the same info posted over and over again to any request, knowlodge has a price to pay and that price is the time you spend learning, easy as that.
As for "fast-food link" info here we go:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/safe-pik/poisonous.shtml

Take care and don't eat "Galerinas".
Posted my lookalike, so my 2cents.

Cheers,
MAIA

BTW, "Some look-alikes could vary from Deadly Amanitas...", see, it's this kind of info that bothers me, Amanita Muscaria don't even look like a P.C., Amanitas are red with white dots, there are people who allready experienced amanitas trip, they don't kill you if ingested properly, the only drawback is that most people react adversally to them, fuckin' subjective you know.
__
"Pictures in a box at home
Yellowing and green with mold
So i can barely see your face
Wonder how that color taste"
=)Free&Spread the Spores(=
Support the FSR

Edited by MAIA on 06/29/01 07:21 AM.

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: MAIA] * 1
    #351326 - 06/29/01 09:42 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

O.K. MAIA, you've got a point. Although, I mentioned nothing about Amanita Muscaria. There are other AMANITAS, which WILL kill someone. For instance, Amanita phalloides, Amanita virosa and Amanita verna, as well as others.
Stay cool!-Levi7.
....You were always so far away! I know that pain, and I won't run away like I used to do!......
I ain't got a problem with anyone, BROTHER....or sister?

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #351357 - 06/29/01 10:19 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry for not making any reference to other Amanitas, it allways come Muscarias to my mind, they're beautiful either way, anyway just for people knowing that not ALL Amanitas are deadly, allways take advantages of your mistakes.

Peace,
MAIA

__
"Pictures in a box at home
Yellowing and green with mold
So i can barely see your face
Wonder how that color taste"
=)Free&Spread the Spores(=
Support the FSR

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: MAIA] * 1
    #351365 - 06/29/01 10:32 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

if played right, amanita m. can give a very beautiful, euphoric trip. try it.

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: thegoldenteacher] * 1
    #351366 - 06/29/01 10:33 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

just because one species(among others) of amanita is deadly poisonous(A. phall., etc) does not mean the whole family is poisonous, stop spreading misinformation

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: thegoldenteacher] * 1
    #351374 - 06/29/01 11:01 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Wait a minute......I didnt' say all Amanitas were poisonous and MAIA referred to Amanita Muscaria as not being poisonous if taken responsibly. No one spread any false information. We all know that some Amanitas contain Amanitan toxins(deadly), and some contain Ibotenic acid and muscimol(entheogenic). Again, no false info was spread.
BTW, I found a bunch of Amanita pantherina last year. I ate one whole mushroom. I drank like 18 beers that night and don't think the mushrooms did anything to me, except for the fact that I awoke the next morning with no hangoever whatsoever. I'm wondering if it would've done something had I been sober. Any thoughts? Other than info I can easily obtain from the facts on the net? If so, thanks. If not, the ok anyway.
Stay cool!
......Yeah, it goes away....all of this and more of nothing in my life..... No colored clay....Individually not sane....As of now, I bet you got me WRONG!!!!.............

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #351395 - 06/29/01 11:30 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

WEll I dobt if anyone here besides me has eaten Amanita caesaria, a very tasty edible Amanita species.

But then from what I understand through the literaturee on AManita's is that the deadly varieties are also very tasty accoding to those who died from eating them.

The deadly amanitas do not have red caps with white spots but are a white to yellowish brown in some species.

Have a shroomy edible non-poisonous day,

mj

IOm outta here for a few days.

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

Offlineshevanelcutaflip
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8945063 - 09/17/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have stumbled upon a cluster that seems to resemble psylocybe cubensis but im unsure and i need another eye for this just to make sure. First off I found the cluster on sep 17 of this year in the shade of a tree.  ive included pictures and need feedback please. <br>also::: 

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: shevanelcutaflip]
    #8945073 - 09/17/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shevanelcutaflip said:
I have stumbled upon a cluster that seems to resemble psylocybe cubensis but im unsure and i need another eye for this just to make sure. First off I found the cluster on sep 17 of this year in the shade of a tree.  ive included pictures and need feedback please. <br>also::: 

Neither one of those is active.

Also they dont look like cubes at all

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8945517 - 09/17/08 05:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

weiliiiiiii said:
Quote:

shevanelcutaflip said:

Neither one of those is active.

Also they dont look like cubes at all

seconded

--------------------

Offlineshevanelcutaflip
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8945601 - 09/17/08 06:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

well thats what threads are for correct? what strain do you say these are then?

Offlineshevanelcutaflip
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8945938 - 09/17/08 07:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shevanelcutaflip said:
well thats what threads are for correct? what strain do you say these are then?

note i did find these in alabama....

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8946380 - 09/17/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

They are Armillaria mellea, honey mushrooms.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Any known look alikes for Psilocybe cubensis??? [Re: falcon]
    #8946610 - 09/17/08 09:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, bump a 9 year old thread.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom