Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Id from Vancouver Island BC Canada
    #3029063 - 08/20/04 05:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Alright still unsure about the whole picture posting so i have links to a gallery where i put the pics.  plaease take link to veiw pics.  all are from teh same patch and the same type.  sorry for the shitty quality it was with my scanner :frown:

Pics are here-http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/hiking/images/mushrooms/frontyard.html
Location:  Southern Vancouver Island (Shawnigan lake, hour north of victoria)

Habitat:  Growing in yard in grass.  grass is not fertilized ever, spetic feild right below however and keeps grass green.  It is also twice'ish a week watered via sprinkler.

Weather:  Been hot as shit and dry, but has been watered from sprinkler.

Gills:  Dont know much about this stuff so pics are better.  almost all teh gills go the length of the cap, a couple stop but dont seem to merge into the other gills.

Cap:  It is dry and rubbery.  i think it is because of the weather as i found some that looked very similar last year but they were what i would call a normal mushy ness.  not wet but very soft and squishable.  Most were 1/2-1" WIDE, and 1/4-1/2" high.  very rounded.  ost were damaged by the lawnmower in case it doesnt sho in the pics.  they are a light brown in colour, gills are really light.  almost a dark white.  but caps are a nice light brown, bout twice as light as a paper bag.

Stem:  Longest one is about 2 1/4" but most were around 1 1/2" in there.  They were for the most part fairly white with the light brown tint like the caps.  a coupel were almost completely white.  they were between 1/16"-1/8" thick, but some looked sturdy, some looked lengthy.  i think it was just the age of them as there were lots of size variants.

Bruises/Spore Prints:  Unfortunatly i know nothing about this really.  most were fairly dry when i picked.  i bent and pressed on the stems so we will see if anything comes from it.  spore prints i dont know.  i taped, pressed, and crushed different caps on a white peice of paper and didnt see anything.  But i dont know what the fuck im doing so im not putting much faith into it, or maybe its immature?  or white print?  i dont know.  sorry

smell:  i dont know it does have a smell but none i cane really identify with.  smells liek a mushroom, yar.  smells liek a normal small white mushroom you see in grocery store i guess....i really cant think of anything else.  again i wouldnt put much faith in my scent description.

i cant think of anything else that would help ID but if there is just say...Thanks for any help.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Id from Vancouver Island BC Canada [Re: kadakuda]
    #3029089 - 08/20/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

not the best pics, but considering the description and general appearance I'm gonna guess they're Marasmius oreades, the fairy ring mushroom.

DH

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Id from Vancouver Island BC Canada [Re: spores]
    #3029101 - 08/20/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm, they do look a little like fairy rings. I live in vancouver island too, and those grow in my front yard as well. lol. Good eating apparently. Although I wouldn't touch the ones growing in my front yard...

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#3029104 - 08/20/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, they're all over down here in WA too. I've tried them before, they're alright but not really worth the risk if you aren't positive that's what you have. They're kind of interesting mushrooms though, in that they can survive dehydration by the sun/lack of moisture, and when rehydrated they'll come back to life and start producing new spores again.

DH

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3029121 - 08/20/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

wow holy smokes that was fast.  thanks for all your thoughts.  i just looked up the fairy ring ones and it does look very similar.

Also kept trying the spore prints and it looks likes it brown.  i dont know if its the spores or the colour of the cap leeching in but there is brown on the paper :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#3029129 - 08/20/04 05:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

sounds like you're kind of confused on how to do a spore print...

the correct way is to cut a mature cap off and place it (gills down) on a white piece of paper. then put an inverted cup or bowl over it to stop air movement around the cap. wait overnight (preferably, at least a few hours) and you'll have a print. the spores of M. oreades will be white though, so you probably wont see much, but if you run your finger over the print it'll pick up some whitish dust (spores).

Another thing that might help in confirming the ID is trying to break the stem, they should be very tough compared to most other mushrooms.

DH

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3029137 - 08/20/04 05:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ok thanks a bunch ill set that up asap.  the stems are rather tough.  they bend then split apart length wise.  they dont break off thill at about 110+ degrees.  i can also "peel" the outside of the stem.  thanks again ill tell ya what the spore print does tomarow :smile:

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3030957 - 08/21/04 02:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

did lots of searching on the net and checked the spores earlier than i should have (got impatient) anyway thats exactly what it turned out to be. the spores were white. so i cooked them up with my dinner. i dotn normally like mushrooms but these were tasty. probably could have tasted like shit and id still liek em as it was my first edible id and i was pumped.

thanks for the help guys.

--------------------

OfflinePsychonaut
seeker

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
    #3030995 - 08/21/04 02:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Good find kadakuda and good write up on your ID.
Those a typical summer mushroom in this area.

Hope to see you hunting the river this fall :smile:

--------------------
FungusFun.com

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Id from Vancouver Island BC Canada [Re: Psychonaut]
    #3031040 - 08/21/04 02:36 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks man, read the pm will try and look out for them too :smile:

Im on that river all year round, i love it.  such a beautifull place, in fact it is one of my favourite places.  cant get enough of it.  i try and go there 1-2 times a week.  see ya there :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification