Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNeiL

Loc: Scotland, UK
Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia
    #448701 - 11/06/01 06:23 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Self explanatory. There are bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia plants. I don't know how i didn't notice, as i check them quite reguarly, but the were fairly infested. Damn. I removed all the badly infested leaves and killed each single bastard fucking Whitefly i could find with my own bare fingers. A large harvest i had drying was all covered in whiteflies when i checked and had to be binned :( plus a cutting i had made for a friend. Like i said, bastard fucking Whitefly. Anyway, i removed the infested leaves and, out of desperation (and i know this means i will only be able to use new growth from this point in time?) i sprayed the plants well with an organic (fatty acids i think) houseplant pesticide i have. I will repeat this in one weeks time. Help me, is there anything else i can/ should do?
Only the plants i have inside the house are infested, the plants i have on the landing outside the flat seem to be ok, are they in danger?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia [Re: NeiL]
    #448928 - 11/06/01 11:40 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I never use pesticides if I can help it. It is never a good idea to hose your plants down with poison. The organic gardeners way of getting rid of pests, is to mix a drop or two of liquid dish detergent(Dawn, Joy, whaterer) into a spray bottle filled with tap water. Spray the leaves once a week, or whenever you see infestation. The soap will cover the aphids, or any other pests, and suffocate them, but it doesn't harm the plant at all, and there is no risk of toxic build up. Soapy water works on must fungi invaders as well.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvi [Re: NeiL]
    #449607 - 11/06/01 09:49 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

ummmm... thats bad man. usually when i have some plague in my plants i use some tobbacco water... i put one or 2 cigarettes in 1 liter of water and let simmer overnight... then you pulverize the plants whenever you feel like, this is pretty organic stuff, wont harm if you do a bit much. i think u should try it before the pesticides and radical stuff. i had another idea now... maybe if you put your plants outside some predator may come and eat those fat white salvia high flies... spiders would rock. just watch out for slugs...

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #449621 - 11/06/01 10:02 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

White fly's don't do as well outdoors as they do indoors. Usually its aphids outdoors and whitefly's in. Killing the live fly's will do you know good. The thing that will kill your plants are the larvae that live in the soil. They are a bitch to get rid of once you are infested. I had to use an entire bottle of indoor organic pesticide (purely pyrethrins from chrysanthemum flowers, it breaks down after a max of 2 days, faster in full sun)before I could get rid of them finally.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Anonymous

Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #451131 - 11/07/01 11:19 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Whitefly is profanity in some parts of the USA. Just the passing mention of it can raise blood pressure to dangerous levels. They are extremely difficult to control, even with restricted pesticides. You might have to keep applying the tobbaco/soap water every week for the entire life of your plants.
In which state do you live? Is your plant indoors or outdoors? What other types of plants are growing in the vicinity?
Indoors I just reread!! Don't remove leaves from the plant's, this will be worse for the plant. In the future, just tobbaco and soap in water sprayed on all plant surfaces, every week. If you really wanna go crazy, get some whitefly parastite from a Hydro store. Put them on the plant and let them go crazy!!! Indoors is alot easier to control!!!!!!

OfflineElektrolurch
enthusiast
Loc: Germany
Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia [Re: ]
    #451323 - 11/08/01 02:47 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Just a bad news: The white fly is one of the less parasites that are nicotine resitant!
I even know someone who is in an institute of botany, and they have a whitefly plague eating up their Nicotiana tabacum :(
My Brugmansia had also this plague, although the atropinic contents. Probably these flies are resistant to many pesticides...

So NeiL, your best bet is to put your Salvias outside and hope that some insect keeps the Whitefly larvae under control. Sorry...

Elektrolurch

--------------------
"For all the time spent in that room
The doll's house, darkness, old perfume
And fairy stories held me high on
Clouds of sunlight floating by.", Pink Floyd '67

OfflineTeiro
Earth Entitie
Loc: A Sunny Beach in a Tropic...
    #451362 - 11/08/01 05:13 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Dude,

Whyteflies killed my entire vegetables garden...
It is amazing how they spred so quickly and destroy everything so fast.
I read a book once, that says that you should use a mix of pepper and water, that it will make them go away, just spay in the leaves and wait. It it rains, do it again.

--------------------
Life does not have to be necessarily long. It just has to be good. Be wise. Peace, Love, Flower Power.

Anonymous

Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia [Re: Elektrolurch]
    #453428 - 11/09/01 09:13 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

If they are indoors, use the whitefly parasite!!!! You can buy them from organic gardening companies. You have what a single plant indoors?
No one chemical is effective on all of an insect population.
Don't discount nicotine as a pesticide because insects will eat tobbaco or brugmansia.
The real question here is WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN? What type of whitefly do you have? A single plant indoors will be easy to control any insect problem. Suck them up with a "Dust buster"!!!

Offlinesputnik2
Loc: usa
    #453736 - 11/10/01 06:20 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

hello i brought mine indoors for the winter in a grow room i left the spiders that were still hanging around on them works great ( natural pest control ) they seem to take care of the problems i had last year with the flies peace

--------------------
MJB botanicals
mjb-botanicals.com

Offlinenecroton
Stranger

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia [Re: sputnik2]
    #454153 - 11/10/01 04:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

No! I will not allow people to talk to highly of spiders! Spiders are BAD! All spiders are BAD!!!!!!! They're all hell spawned minions of Satan! Never let spiders around your plants, its not the whiteflies that are killing your plants, its the spiders! Spiders must be killed on sight!

--------------------
Leprechauns wear green pants

OfflineElektrolurch
enthusiast
    #454685 - 11/11/01 03:11 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

"WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN?"
I hate when people think the world is only the USA! Isn't it called the "World Wide Web" and not "USA Wide Web"? I'm in Baden-Wuerttemberg, does that answer your question?

"Don't discount nicotine as a pesticide because insects will eat tobbaco or brugmansia."

No, I'm not discounting nicotine as a pesticide. Actually is one of the best pesticides and many comercial products contain nicotine as an additive. But, Whitefly is still resitant to nicotine, and I don't say it just because they eat tobacco or Brugmansia, I say it because you can read it books!

"What type of whitefly do you have?"
You can't expect, that someone is going to count the hairs on the head of the fly to determine which type exactly it is!

"A single plant indoors will be easy to control any insect problem. Suck them up with a "Dust buster"!!!"

Another method is to lower the temperature, because the larvae don't tolerate low temperatures.

Elektrolurch

--------------------

Anonymous

#454870 - 11/11/01 11:18 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Genious, my question was to NEIL, the guy who posted the questions.
Most books still reccomend nicotine for greenhouse whitefly!!!
Where you live in the world could determine what type of fly you have.
Many simple procedures can be done to fight any insect, and temperature regulation is one. Dust busting another. Chemicals yet another. Biocontrol another.
Sorry you took offense to my question that was not directed at you! I know this is a world wide web.
And determining what type of fly you have exactly is the most critical step in fighting them. Different species show different resistance. Even within a population of the same species there are varying degrees of resistance. But to make a statement that all whitefly is resistant to nicotine, is rediculous!!!
Have a nice day!!!
Identify first, treat second!!!
Are you pissed I questioned your statement, or that I am American?

OfflineElektrolurch
enthusiast
    #455667 - 11/12/01 02:12 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

"Are you pissed I questioned your statement, or that I am American?"
I'm not against Americans, because I'm mexican and therefore also American ;) (America is still a continent)
I just had a kind of bad day...

Elektrolurch

p.d. I put my Brugmansia in the outside temp about 15 C, and the whiteflies died after one week or so :)

--------------------

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #455674 - 11/12/01 02:21 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

get some pitcher plants and surround your salvia with them.
They will eat all the whiteflys.
They secreat a plesent smelling narcotic combined with rain water "indoors you'll have to add water" to lure, kill, and digest insects. THey are the most effect carnivourus plants

www.pitcherplant.com

or
www.pitcherplants.com

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #458143 - 11/14/01 01:20 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Try some fly eating lizards.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia [Re: nugsarenice]
    #458876 - 11/15/01 12:35 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i got these tiny black dots underneath my leaves and the dots are covered by a white film, watta fuck is this and how do i get rid of this? im makin a nicotine salution thing for tommorow just in case.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Offlinesylo
addict
    #461066 - 11/17/01 01:13 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

You can buy traps for white flies in places that sell plant and garden supplies. White flies are attracted to the color yellow so the traps are yellow plastic coated with sticky stuff.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia [Re: sylo]
    #466466 - 11/22/01 06:58 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Another good thing about the Australian climate - Salvia thrive

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck