Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Whiteflies make me cry
    #3138418 -

My poor salvia plant is plagued by whiteflies. It's lost quite a few leaves and the remainder are spotty... anyone have recommendations for me (I'd prefer non-chemical, and I hear whiteflies can be very resistant to most pesticides)?
I was thinking about getting some (somethin-or-other) formosa wasps that feed on whiteflies? Or possibly a pitcher plant?
Anyone know someplace to get one of these natural pest controls at a reasonable price?
All I know is my salvia can't take much more of this... she's sick and pissed off! Any help hugely appreciated. :undecided:


--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Whiteflies make me cry [Re: TinTree]
    #3138439 -

Have you tried neem oil?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Whiteflies make me cry [Re: Organic]
    #3138444 -

Nossir, where would I get such a thing?


--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Whiteflies make me cry [Re: TinTree]
    #3138465 -

pyrethrum spray.. ( any garden dept.. home depot.. it's a plant extract )

neem oil ( hydro shop )

or for desperate measures..

sticky strips.. ever see the lint rollers. you peel off layers to expose new sticky, and roll on your clothes.... hang them around your plants and they get stuck to it. ( not the best by any means )

good luck !


--------------------


-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------


Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Whiteflies make me cry [Re: TinTree]
    #3138485 -

you can get neem oil at a lot of garden centers. its a cheap and organic insecticide/fungicide.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Whiteflies make me cry [Re: TinTree]
    #3138533 -

I went today to find out the same question for my garden. I understand a mix of soap and lemon juice that is to be sprayed on plant especially under leaves is a great cure. I will be using this method starting this evening. supposedly the soap breaks down a protective oil layer causing the fly to dehydrate and then the lemon juice burns the little fella. Sounds worthy of a shot to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Whiteflies make me cry [Re: atlas]
    #3138801 -

To kill the flies you can use soap like atlas said or safer's soap which can be bought at most home garden centers. To get rid of the eggs is harder. I use BT bacteria which can be gotten many places. One brand name is thuricide. You mix the thuricide with a spreader sticker (or a few drops of dish soap) and water and spray it all over particularly the undersides of all leaves. It will kill the crawler after the egg hatches but will not affect later forms like the pupa which looks like an egg but larger. Eggs are so small they can't be seen.

A new way to kill them is with hormones. I don't have the link handy but I heard of a product that causes the insect not to mature. It will affect eggs and pupa and other forms but not the mature fly. I learned about it over at e dot. I heard that a heavy infestation was brought under control after a few weeks. I would rotate this method with the soap and bt method so they don't build up any immunity.

Stoney

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* White fly control eligal 668 4 05/10/06 06:27 AM
by Mike_yy
* Help! Bastard fucking Whitefly eating my Salvia NeiL 5,722 17 11/22/01 06:58 AM
by Zen Peddler
* BEWARE: AVOID MULTICROP PYRETHRUM INSECTICIDE SPRAY
( 1 2 3 all )
Mufungo 6,589 56 10/04/12 02:00 AM
by karode13
* Natural plant and soil pest and disease control felixhigh 2,028 7 02/06/03 02:19 AM
by Bilge
* Natural method to repell whiteflies from Salvia D. jds 1,901 10 10/11/09 08:01 PM
by karode13
* Whitefly NiamhNyx 727 4 11/05/03 12:42 AM
by felixhigh
* Is ozone a useful tool in oder control? Larrythescaryrex 1,713 17 12/20/15 06:22 AM
by Mostly_Harmless
* mole control afoaf 709 4 04/10/03 03:25 PM
by motaman

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
947 topic views. 0 members, 6 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.