Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
Green mold, another post!
    #4580751 - 08/25/05 07:53 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,
Just do my first incubation, and ALL my jars seem to be infected with green mold. Just read some post but answer vary from one to another. Maybe i'll get some constant in this one!

1. Can it be cause by a wrong moisture content (too high or too low) ?

2. Can it be cause by a wrong ph level ?

3. Did you clean your pressure cooker before sterilization ? If yes, why ? Sterilisation itself is not supose to kill all bacterias ?

4. I read in a post that light can help green mold to take over mycelium and to let the jar always in black light, give them better chance, is it true ? (i use incubator, and let them in black enrivonement, but wondering if it can be armful to look at them every day)

5. I soak my rye grain 24 hours, rince them and pressure cook for 24 hours at 15 psi! Inject spore with tyvek and polywool filter with isopropil alcool syringe tip cleaning. Follow almost any good tek in here. Don't use any glove boxe, just wash me and my hand, put clean clothe and inject in my chamber. From where do you think that the bacteria come from ?

- Direct environement
- Me (clothing/breating/skin-hair)
- Spore & syringe (come from sporeworks.com)
- Grain

6. I use tyvek that is use to cover house wall during construction. Seem to be a little different from the american postal service one.. Can it be too tight during sterilisation and block moisture exange ? Anyone using this type, or get feedback from this ?

7. Am i forgeting something ?

Thanks for all!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: Green mold, another post! [Re: wise_gardener]
    #4580822 - 08/25/05 08:06 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Your breath. The air. Could have come from anywhere. If you are totally clean, then there wont be mold. You just need to work on your sterility techniques. I work in my bathroom, right next to 1 of the 2 most contammed areas in your house. I.E. the toilet. I just wipe EVERY surface with bleach soaked sponge, mist the whole room with alcohol,shut the A.C. vent, leave the room for 5 minutes, and smole a ciggarette.

Then I put on gloves, and a dust mask and mist myself with alchohol. Then I go in there and mist the air a couple times with alcohol, and knock them bitches up. I mist everything that I use with alcohol also. I do not use any flames whatsoever, as doing so in a alcohol, bleach vapor enviroment is NOT recomended, lol.

May seem kinda over doing it, but I have never gotten any contams from inoculation this way. Again, this is JUST THE WAY I DO IT. Hope this helps!!!!

Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
Re: Green mold, another post! [Re: FungusMan]
    #4580890 - 08/25/05 08:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks

Why bleach vapor is not recommanded ? Paul stamets recommand to clean air with a 10% bleach solution! Don't think that 10% bleach 90% water can produre toxic vapor. Not sure but mist all my room with alcol is a little.. no.. literally freak!! Don't even imagine my entire room with alcol odor! :P Thanks anyway, i'll work on my sterile tech. Any other recommandation ?

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4580907 - 08/25/05 08:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You cant do it in a bathroom?And I meant that FLAMES and Alcohol/Bleach VAPORS shoulnt be mixed,lol. Explosions suck when they make you a victim, lol.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4580910 - 08/25/05 08:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

1. Can it be cause by a wrong moisture content (too high or too low) ?

green likes moisture

2. Can it be cause by a wrong ph level ?

yes I believe it prefers acidic conditions but it does well in anything that mycelium can survive in

3. Did you clean your pressure cooker before sterilization ? If yes, why ? Sterilisation itself is not supose to kill all bacterias ?

I clean it after each use, it's personal preference, nothing more

4. I read in a post that light can help green mold to take over mycelium and to let the jar always in black light

it doesnt matter, if greens gonna show, it'll do it regardless of light

I assume by black light you mean darkness

5. I soak my rye grain 24 hours, rince them and pressure cook for 24 hours at 15 psi! Inject spore with tyvek and polywool filter with isopropil alcool syringe tip cleaning. Follow almost any good tek in here. Don't use any glove boxe, just wash me and my hand, put clean clothe and inject in my chamber. From where do you think that the bacteria come from ?

you should flame the needle before an alcohol wipe, regardless of anyones idea that alcohol alone will kill the spores for green mold, if they are in the needle, they'll be in the spores, it could be a contaminated syringe but it's
less likely than something in your methods

24 hours... thats just insane!

6. I use tyvek that is use to cover house wall during construction. Seem to be a little different from the american postal service one.. Can it be too tight during sterilisation and block moisture exange ? Anyone using this type, or get feedback from this ?

double up on the tyvek or try finding another source of it, that should help you eliminate a possibility

7. Am i forgeting something ?

dont we all

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Green mold, another post! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4580956 - 08/25/05 08:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Lol, I didnt even notice the PC'ing done for 24 hours part, lol. I need to go to bed. And as far as "mold spores being in the needle",I forgot to mention that I squirt a couple drops out as my hand goes towards the jar. I know Im new, But like I said, It works for me and is just my way.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Green mold, another post! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4581029 - 08/25/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

My fuckking pans took a green nose dive today, I`ll pasturize the next time, Oh well shit happens and you lose 8 qt jars :crazy:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation