Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Cultivation Newbie
    #4580373 -

Hello all.

I am quite new to cultivation. In fact I am still in the planning stages of it all. I have about $100 to spend total. I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you may have answers to.

First, I am still a little unsure as to what species of mushroom I should grow. I'm looking for ease of growth but also for a very good trip. The two that I have chosen to purchase 1 syringe of PES Hawaiian Psilocybe cubensis as well as 1 syringe of B+ Psilocybe Cubensis. I know I have almost definitely tried the B+ before. I have heard wonderful things about the Hawaiian strain but like I said, I wouldn't mind the advice of someone who knows better than I.

Second, the jars I need, are they available at any Super Market? Would it be alrite if I found a wide mouthed jar that was bought full of something but was emptied and sterilized in a 15psi Pressure Cooker?

I usually have a great many questions. If someone wouldn't mind giving me an AIM screenname or something, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

Most sincerely, m2o5x.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: m2o5x]
    #4580383 -

get a doz half pint mason/kerr jars...rubbermaid tub...and verm, peat, brown rice/rye flower.. and couple syringes and get 'er done !!!


:bongload:


--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: ThumpaCap]
    #4580397 -

Well, I looked up prices for these types of jars. A full dozen, I found cost about $50 on one site, and I assumed they were about the same price everywhere else. At the moment, my operation has to be small, as I am living out of my parent's home. So I am only looking for 4-6 jars total. 12 Jars simply costs too much and takes up too much space for what I have to work with. Which is why I asked if I could use Jars that were originally filled with something, emptied, and then sterilized.

Everything else I have easy access to.

Edited by m2o5x (08/25/05 04:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: m2o5x]
    #4580410 -

i got my jars at wall-mart. the shrooms i will grow will be koh sumi. There are some posts below on them. i have heard nothing but good things about them like: high yielding, potent, and contaminant resistant:) good luck


--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: m2o5x]
    #4580430 -

Check those jars. They probably come already filled with sterilized substrate ready to inoculate and incubate for $50.

A dozen 1/2 pint wide-mouth jars runs about $6.

You need to read everything very carefully. Especially in this hobby.

Never assume anything.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: HippieChick]
    #4580447 -

Still, would it be completely foolhardy to use already used jars with similar shapes as the kerr jars?

I know that it would have to be a jar that would let the substrate slide it with ease. I'm just wondering if it would be too terrible of an idea to use old jars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: m2o5x]
    #4580451 -

I've found most cubensis strains to be about the same in potency when they are grown on horse poo. The Hawaiian cubensis strain should not be confused with Paneolous cyanescens, which is sometimes called "Hawaiian." Pan cyans are much more potent than cubensis strains, but Hawaiian cubes are likely to be about the same as any other cube strain.

I'd look for hardy strains that are easy to grow for a first-time experience. I've had the best results with Orissa India and Keeper's Creepers, but PF-Classic and PR have also been reliable producers and easy to grow for me. My first PR grow is still producing mushrooms after more than seven flushes. I stopped counting after that. I had less-happy results with Amazon, Cambodian, Z, KS, and EQ. KS was the worst, in my experience, the only strain that failed to produce a single mushroom.

Although the PF tex is usually recommended for beginners, I'd encourage you to look at grain teks and consider that route. Although there are some appealing features of the PF tek, I find that grain colonizes faster, more easily creates hundreds of inoculation points when spawning in horse poo, and rye berries, for example, contain more nutrients (meaning larger yields and better potency) than brown rice flour.

Check out Polstein's for canning jars online.

Edited by Silly_Cyben (08/25/05 04:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4580464 -

Do you know where I could find spores for the Orissa India and Kreeper's Creepers strains?

Currently, I am using sporesource.com for the spores I am looking to purchase. If anyone has any good retailers for spores, I'd appreciate it a great deal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: m2o5x]
    #4580514 -

Any of the Shroomery sponsor-vendors who sell spores should be good sources for spores. I've had the best experiences with Spores Direct, Spores 101, and Ralphster's Spores. I got my OI and KC from Spores Direct. (KC is also sometimes called just Creepers.) All Shrooomery sponsor-vendors guarantee their products. Ralphster and Spores Direct both gave me more than expected (extra free syringes) and Spores 101 replaced defective syringes without question.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4580542 -

I found my jars 12 for $8 at Kroger (a supermarket here i know its not everywhere) in the kitchen section

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4580563 -

The strains you have ordered are great, Hawaiian was the first strain I grew, and you cant go wrong with B+. You will soon find out that the strain doesnt matter as much as the grower.
When you said species that refers to another family of shrooms both of the strains you mentioned are both P. Cubensis species.
And for your jar issue you can use other Jars but they are much cheaper by the dozen. You can find them at many grocery stores wal mart, k mart, target If you cant find them ask a manager where mason jars or canning supplies are, shit I just bought a dozen at a dollar store for 2 bucks they are everywhere.


--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: djsage420]
    #4580606 -

Alrite, that sounds good. I've decided to buy 6 jars total. I think I will look around for really cheap jars. I'm sure it won't be too hard to find.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Hopefully I'll be cultivating my own stuff within the next 2 weeks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: m2o5x]
    #4580656 -

To be honest, it bothers me that you are risking the home your parents worked hard to get, just because you want a cheap high or a hobby. Thats pretty selfish thinking there bro. Im also surpised nobody else mentioned this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cultivation Newbie [Re: FungusMan]
    #4580694 -

It was pretty selfish of them to bring me into this shitty ass world without asking me, but I'm not complaining am I?

What they, and everyone else, don't know won't hurt them.

Edited by m2o5x (08/25/05 05:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* newbie questions, pf hawaiian/mr pinning invitro? synaptic 1,627 2 05/23/01 01:34 AM
by Taz
* questionaire from a newbie shanghigh 1,010 11 08/31/03 10:53 AM
by shanghigh
* Newbies Dumb Questions. OLD_NEWBIE 1,874 3 01/19/02 01:12 AM
by Mklangelo
* Beginner TEK _ For NEW NEWBIES NewbieShroomer 6,185 16 06/16/19 07:51 PM
by lilwoman
* newbie shroomer help etinshrooms 597 10 01/13/05 04:21 PM
by NOS4A2
* Need my story on Hawaiian spores set straight. phishman13 2,960 3 03/16/04 04:30 PM
by Anonymous
* Canning supplies discount code for Polsteins.com LuvWallyWorld 860 9 06/11/05 01:02 AM
by HippieChick
* I need to find these cultivation items ASAP!!! ShroomNoob03 660 4 04/26/04 04:13 PM
by Arrakis

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,079 topic views. 11 members, 353 guests and 234 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.