Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

building your own computer
    #4553378 - 08/18/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone ever done it before? This'll be the first time for me, so I wanna know your experiences. Was it harder/easier than you thought? What was the most frustrating part. And was it all worth it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: building your own computer [Re: Thin White Duke]
    #4553451 - 08/18/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anyone ever done it before?

No

OfflineManicDelirium
MysteriousMycologist TechDeviant

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flawda
    #4553468 - 08/18/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It was fairly easy for me but I had replaced computer hardware before that and read up before I proceded to build one. I'd say the most frustrating thing about building one was ordering the parts and putting the processor on the motherboard. But this was back in the day when they didn't have the little lever to lock the processor in and you had to puch the pins in yourself and lock it. Thank god for the enhancements theyv'e made for at home computer builders. I'd say it's almost 10x easier nowadays and you get to make it glow pretty colors today too..

It's a great experience learning how to do it. You also get great joy in knowing that you built it. You also get to build it to the exact way you want it.

One word of advice stick with AMD processors. Because if you'd ever wanna overclock it theyr'e the only ones that get the best overall % increase...
fuck Intel theyr'e just like Microsoft.

Have fun...If you need any help drop a line

--------------------
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" --long live the great Gonzo

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: building your own computer [Re: ManicDelirium]
    #4553514 - 08/18/05 09:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, I was definately going for an AMD anyway, heard they are best for gaming.

OfflineMaJikFungus
There's a Fungusin my closet

Loc: School of Athens
Re: building your own computer [Re: ManicDelirium]
    #4553567 - 08/18/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I built an athlon system about 3 years ago , the hardest part was mounting the CPU heat sink since the old athlon thunderbird has an exposed core. You have to be careful not to chip or crack the exposed core. Plus the clip on the CPU sink takes quite a bit of force to attach , thermaltake ones anyway , I was quite nervous about cracking the core applying that much force to the cpu.

Things should be much easier now since current AMD processors(athlon64/sempron) no longer have the core exposed , you never mentioned your CPU preference so I'm just assuming you plan on using AMD.

I believe it is well worth since you save cash and have control over what hardware is used instead of letting dell decide for you.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4554521 - 08/19/05 04:29 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I built a computer in college and it was much more difficult than I anticipated. It took me about three semesters to complete it and I used Mentor Graphics exclusively as the CAD program. I designed the CPU around the DLX (delux) core, but pipelined into five stages. I also dropped out all of the floating point stuff, too many transistors. I also did not implement any kind of protected mode or protected memory model. I did have both software and hardware interrupts (which is a HUGE pain to implement). The CPU was sythesized to MOSIS standard cell technology. The logic board was kept very simple, only four layers (two of which were power and ground). The gerber files were sent to a local company for manufacter. (I didn't bother with a test frame, glue mask, etc... everything was thruhole and I parted the board myself.) I had a single exapansion bus, implemented with standard tristate logic components. I used an RS232 (serial) line as the primary I/O interface driven by a max232a (only requires 5 volts). I used a prefab DC/DC converter to power the board... it could run on 5 volts all the way up to 42 volts and drew around 800ma at 5v. The clock speed was only 20MHz. An eprom was used to store a port of Buffalo (from the HC11 world) which acted as my OS and regular off-the-shelf memory chips were used for RAM. I used gcc to cross compile to the slighly modified delux instruction set.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: building your own computer [Re: Seuss]
    #4554691 - 08/19/05 07:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hell, I just built one.

Do you know your way around the inside of a computer?

If you do, then I think it's easy. Shit, I've already built 3 computers (one for myself and two for my parents) and they've all turned out perfectly.

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4554709 - 08/19/05 08:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

just make sure you match that parts. decide which AMD proc you want and build round it. here is an example for you:
id i wanted to build an inexpensive 64 bit system that will be upgradable for a few years to come, i would get one of the new 64bit semprons. so i decide on the

AMD Sempron 64 3000+ palermo 800MHz FSB ($89).

that is a Socket 754 chip so now i go looking for a motherboard that matches. but, what do i really want this computer to do? i want it to be fast, thats without a doubt. i want it to be upgradable in the future, so i want SATA connectors on the motherboard. i also am not a raging gamer, so i am perfectly happy with onboard video. i will be happy with onboard sound if it is 5.1 surround. i would also like it to have usb2 and 1394 (firewire) headers in case i decide on a case with usb ports on the front. so, armed with this info, i go lookig for a mobo. i find the

foxconn 760GXK8MB-ERS Socket 754 SiS 760 GX Micro ATX ($59.99).

it has everything i wanted. SATA150 connectors, 5.1 surround sound, usb2 and firewire headers, etc. It also supports DDR400 (which is also known as 'PC3200') RAM. so that is where i am off to next. since there are only a handfull of manufacturers of RAM that i trust, this is a pretty easy serch for me. My mother board supports 2 stcks of RAM and i want to max it out one day.... even if i dont have the money now... so i will buy a 1GB stick right now, and get a matching stick in a few months when i have the money. btw, those manufacturers i trust are corsair, mushkin, and ocz. so off i go looking for RAM and i find:

Corsair ValueSelect 1GB DDR 400 (PC3200) Unbuffered System Memory. ($103.50)

now i am off to lookfor a hard drive. my motherboard supports the faster SATA so that is what i am off to find. Technically, it supports SATA150. That isnt as fast as SATA2, but i am on a tight budget so i selected a motherboard that wouldnt put me off mudget when i got to this point in my build. from working on computers for a living, i know that 2 of the usually great brands (Maxtor and Western Digital) of hard drives have been having compatability issues with some motherboards in the new SATA format. so at the beginning of looking, i decide i want a Seagate. i'd like alot of space, but dont need anything massive for what i do, so i choose the

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA150 160GB 7200RPM ($89).

now that i have my core computer picked out, its time for the peropherals. since color will matter from here on, i am off to find a case.... actually, that is a lie. i already knew which case i was going to use, heh. it is a case i have used for many builds for many people. it is well made and comes with a good 350w power supply. it is the:

Rosewill Value R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower w/ 305W Power Supply ($29.99)

ok, now that i know the color of my case, i need to decide on an optical drive. to be honest, i dont think i need a dvdrw.... but damnit i WANT one. if you check back with our motherboard, it likes ATA133 IDE... not ATA100. so, that is what i am off to find. i settle on an

ASUS Black IDE DVD Burner Model DRW-1608P ($38.99)

i decided to not get a floppy drive. i never use the one i have and if i do find i need one someday, i probably have 3 or 4 in old computers laying around anyways.

what about cables and cpu fan....? well, i got the retail version of the mobo and processor so i get all the cables i need as well as the cpu fan and heat sink. i got the OEM version of the hard drive and dvdrw to save a few bucks... no need for extra cables.

now i have a system designed to work well together. all the components have been matched as well as possible without having alot of parts in stock to benchmark. and the total cost of this AMD 64bit, 160GB hard drive, 1GB of RAM, DVDRW computer is $410.47 before shipping!

All these prices are from www.newegg.com . the point is to match everything to the motherboard and have a clear idea of exactly what you want before you start.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #4554888 - 08/19/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah me and my dad built this computer and quite a few others. I am quite handy with replacing hardware in machines now. Only part i dont really like is mounting the cpu and fan.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4555003 - 08/19/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's very simple. Just get a guide from the internet and you will be fine. The only thing you could break is the CPU, so be the most careful on that part, everything else is molded to connect the right way so you can't damage anything that way.

If you going AMD I'd recomend a 64 3000+ anything above that is a waste of money IMO, unless you go with an X2 (dual core processor). The best AGP motherboards are the MSI Neo2 Platinum and a DFI NF3 Ultra (rev2, should be out end of this month) and for PCI-e - DFI NF4 series, Epox range (discontinued?), Abit AN8 Fatal1ty series, Asus A8N Premium.

btw if you go with a 64 3000+ get a Venice core, their better overclockers.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Edited by bellylard (08/19/05 10:24 AM)

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #4555061 - 08/19/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've put a couple together now and you'll definetly love doing it. It's quite easy and gives you a good feeling that you built it and not some kid in a factory. My hardest part was mounting the mobo in the case, that's just me though.

--------------------

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: building your own computer [Re: pshawny]
    #4555539 - 08/19/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've built and overhauled a number of machines. The hardware snaps together pretty easily and I've had few complications with that. Installing the OS and getting all the drivers right tends to be the tricky part.

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
    #4555900 - 08/19/05 03:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Just a quick tip before i run out the door, make sure you use enough screws when mounting the mobo to the case.  Motherboards are easy to snap in half if the screws are far apart when you're pushing in a component.  Also, make sure the bottom of the mobo can never touch the case itself.  if it does, there's a small chance it can fry itself.

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #4556513 - 08/19/05 07:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have built the computers that I use & they have served me well. They may cost a little more up front but they are usually easily upgradeable. The problem with name brand computers (the low end low priced ones) is they do a good job for light duty use but when it comes to gaming or video processing or something along the line they struggle a good bit. Also if you go to upgrade the name brand computers some parts are proprietary & that translates in mega bucks & then the cost of the machine starts to go up & before you know it's getting close to the price of a good machine you could have built. If you're going to use it for gaming, be sure you get a high quality power supply (not a 400w power supply that weighs as much as a box of kleenexes) & get a high quality video card. Also make sure you have proper cooling for the system.

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #4558624 - 08/20/05 10:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've built one for myself and one for a friend. It's really simple, kinda like putting together gigantic lego pieces that won't fit unless they're in the right place.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale