Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
The Tao Of Traffic
    #4547420 - 08/17/05 04:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I watched in amusement today as a car cut another one off in traffic. The driver of the second car freaked, swerved, accelerated hard around the first, and cut him off. This went on for several cycles with an assortment of obscene gestures each time.

What does this have to do with S&P?

When someone cuts you off in traffic, you can respond in one of two ways:

1. Give the other driver power over you and allow him to rile you up, raise your blood pressure, and damage your mitochondria with the free radicals you will produce.

or

2. Refuse to give the other driver power over you and instead chuckle at how much more his gas bill will be next fill up due to the hard acceleration and abrupt driving style.

The choice is entirely yours.  :mushroom2:

This has parallels outside your car too.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Diploid]
    #4547450 - 08/17/05 04:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Can I guffaw or must I chuckle?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4547452 - 08/17/05 04:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well I would "parallel" park all over that fuckers face. Then peacefully go on my Taoist way. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Swami]
    #4547464 - 08/17/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Can I guffaw or must I chuckle?

Depends on whether gas prices are up or down...  :tongue:

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

#4547466 - 08/17/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

In high school I would always judge people (that was my style at the time sigh) on their 'walking etiquette'. That is I would think someone was stupid if they couldnt follow the flow of traffic. Our school was meant for two thousand and we had four so there would always be massive traffic jams and fights would always break out. I actually liked the people who would get pissed off when their shoes got stepped on because they were the most entertaining. The ones I couldnt stand were the ones who would try to move up the left side of the hall. Whoa what a rant.
His gas prices will be lower as long as he isnt breaking much. Most sedans get their best milage at 55 mph.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: LittleBen]
    #4547471 - 08/17/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Most sedans get their best milage at 55 mph

Not if they accelerate hard to get there.

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4547480 - 08/17/05 04:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The Tao of acceleration. :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Icelander]
    #4547494 - 08/17/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

And when you get in an accident, you can call a Tao truck. :rofl2:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Swami]
    #4547569 - 08/17/05 04:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Then you have to pay him with some Tao te change.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4547589 - 08/17/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I only get road rage if I almost die.

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Loc: upstate, SC
Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: MOTH]
    #4547606 - 08/17/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

lol, tao truck

i love korny jokes you guys

--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4547867 - 08/17/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I realized while on the road today that the key to safe driving is to be completely emotionless when you're behind the wheel.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: moog]
    #4547950 - 08/17/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:
I realized while on the road today that the key to safe driving is to be completely emotionless when you're behind the wheel.

Drive as if, everyone are morons, not capable of driving, just barely making it on to the road.. :P

I just recalled getting that advice, taking my license.. :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#4547969 - 08/17/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
The choice is entirely yours.  :mushroom2:

:smile:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Gomp]
    #4548033 - 08/17/05 06:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
Quote:

moog said:

Drive as if, everyone are morons, not capable of driving, just barely making it on to the road.. :P

I just recalled getting that advice, taking my license.. :wink:

They let you drive? :whoa: :rofl:

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Icelander]
    #4548093 - 08/17/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:lolz0rz:

saw it coming, miles, as near! :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Gomp]
    #4548225 - 08/17/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:heart:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4548930 - 08/17/05 09:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I try to merely drive in the spirit of cooperation and harmony with the flow of traffic. If someone cuts me off...then maybe they need to go before me to attend a pressing matter, so they are most welcome. Anger and cars are a poor mix.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #4550781 - 08/18/05 08:04 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:

Your two choices limit the possible experiences that one could have as a result. The other night, I was driving back to work after visiting home for lunch. The road back is four lanes, barely any traffic lights are operating, and it was relatively devoid of other cars (did I mention that lunch is around 3 a.m.? :smirk:). I switched lanes, as someone else was driving around the speed limit (obviously morons :wink:). They suddenly decided that they wished to accelerate and put me under, so I sped up until we came to the intersection with the interstate's off-ramps. Two cars came off of the interstate and stayed in my lane, stopping at the next intersection, which also is traffic light controlled at that time in the morning.

So they speed off and I get in their lane, following them, and, of course, when they are relatively parallel to the front car in the other lane, they slow down and try to keep me there. I ride dangerously close to their bumper, biding my time, and as soon as I can get in the other lane, I do so (you know, swerving into the other lane as you are rapidly accelerating, so as to not hit either car :shocked:), and hit the gas. The car actually swerves at me, crazy bastards, but they eventually fade into the mirror as I am going near 70 mph in a 35 mph zone. :lol:

The whole time, I was enjoying it. I openly participated in the matter, but yet I didn't bring forth for myself a negative experience. I feel that this illustrates the third option that you neglected to include - bury the other car and smile. :evil:

:lol: We were lucky the cops were at Denny's, eh?  :smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: The Tao Of Traffic [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4552261 - 08/18/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I try to merely drive in the spirit of cooperation and harmony with the flow of traffic. If someone cuts me off...then maybe they need to go before me to attend a pressing matter, so they are most welcome. Anger and cars are a poor mix.

right. My only real problem with traffic is I have to drive this one lane highway and there are always people driving deliberately way too slow. Now I've been in situations where I was hindering traffic because I was lost or freaked out and didn't feel comfortable going very fast..... so I can understand some slowness now and then.

What I don't understand is how you let 6 cars build up a "train" behind you, putting everyone elses lives in jeapordy, when you could just put on that turn singal, pull over and let them go around you.

This is hard for semi-s and RV-s to do I guess.... but I know that RVs can go 65.

Traffic laws need to be followed to the extent of reason and going slowly is more dangerous than going moderately fast. I'm not sure what it's like to be an old person and to have your old lady bitching at you to slow down and go 55 when your RV can probably do 75 safely..... but I can't help but feel they have the same "fuck them, i can drive how i want" mentality that young people that do +10-15 have.... but in this case, cause many more safety problems.

I mean, if you aren't comfortable doing a full 65.... speed up a little bit at least and gradually build up your comfort. If your vehicle can go the speed limit you should train yourself to be comfortable doing the speed limit when you are driving down roads that create extreme safety standards to EVERYONE when you don't go the speed limit.

The best thing is to just let drivers do what they want. If they want to get around you and you're blocking the left lane, speed up (even if that means BREAKING THE LAW [gasp!]) and let them know that you're gonna get out of their way.. you don't have to do 90, just get going fast enough to stop blocking traffic

don't be a road nazi, create safe space for everyone including yourself, whether the other people are drunk, speeding, going slow, or whatever... don't try and punish them, just let them do their thing and be on the look out, and be courteous.

and for god's sakes, it's okay to speed if speeding is going to take you to a safer place than being a spineless conformist.. if you need to pass someone doing 45 but you need to get up to 80 or 90 to get enough distance on him to use open road efficiently, it's not a bad thing. just hope you don't get caught.

the most important thing is your safety, and that comes above law... so drive courteous and if you need to speed to match the flow of traffic, or if you need to speed to get out of a dangerous traffic cluster, do it. but do it carefully and without excess or abruptness.

--------
these are my driving philosophies.

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

Diploid said:

Your two choices limit the possible experiences that one could have as a result. The other night, I was driving back to work after visiting home for lunch. The road back is four lanes, barely any traffic lights are operating, and it was relatively devoid of other cars (did I mention that lunch is around 3 a.m.? :smirk:). I switched lanes, as someone else was driving around the speed limit (obviously morons :wink:). They suddenly decided that they wished to accelerate and put me under, so I sped up until we came to the intersection with the interstate's off-ramps. Two cars came off of the interstate and stayed in my lane, stopping at the next intersection, which also is traffic light controlled at that time in the morning.

So they speed off and I get in their lane, following them, and, of course, when they are relatively parallel to the front car in the other lane, they slow down and try to keep me there. I ride dangerously close to their bumper, biding my time, and as soon as I can get in the other lane, I do so (you know, swerving into the other lane as you are rapidly accelerating, so as to not hit either car :shocked:), and hit the gas. The car actually swerves at me, crazy bastards, but they eventually fade into the mirror as I am going near 70 mph in a 35 mph zone. :lol:

The whole time, I was enjoying it. I openly participated in the matter, but yet I didn't bring forth for myself a negative experience. I feel that this illustrates the third option that you neglected to include - bury the other car and smile. :evil:

:lol: We were lucky the cops were at Denny's, eh?  :smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

dude, those options can be fun, but you could have killed someone (as far as i can tell that's worse than killing yourself).

If cars are being dicks and won't let you around, it's better to just stay back and be patient unless you have a foolproof plan that will get you by without them expecting it.

i love using intuition though, like accelerating rapidly to just barely make it by someone before he merges into you but you KNOW you'll make it and you can tell he's slowing down to make you just enough room, and it happens without thinking, just knowing that you'll be okay through taking action, and you are.

i call it driving in tune...

what frustrates me is when i try to help people out like... this RV scenario, I was at the back of the train keeping distance then sped up and barely stopped at a stop sign to get past the RV... the other cars didn't ever think to get in that left lane, but they did after I did... so I put my foot into it really hard (and i have a sports car) so that I left the RV in my dust so that TWO TO THREE CARS COULD FOLLOW ME AND PASS THE RV BEFORE THE ROAD NARROWS... but the guy immediately behind me didn't understand... and he just slowly slowly passed the RV and left everyone else stuck behind him.

i don't get that... it should have been obvious that I was trying to help everyone.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (08/18/05 03:56 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom