Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHARRY
journeyman
Vacuum Cleaner
    #452658 - 11/09/01 09:09 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I have a nice HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner and desided it should aid my shroom growing experience(for no particular reason). The first thing i though i could use the vac for was to suck up the CO2 off the bottom of the terrarium, (wouldn't that be more efficient than flapping the lid about?).

Then I noticed that one of my jars was colonising much slower than the others, I desided it must be the CO2 build up in the jar, so (you're all gonna cringe at my stupidness in a sec.) I took the jar, put the vac hose to one of the holes in the lid and turned it on, did this a couple of times with each hole. Ok you're all thinking 'he's just completely contaminated his poor cake, the crazy fu**er', but 4 days after this event my cake is growing at twice the speed and the mycelium looks nice and healthy. So, now I've done this with a few other jars that arent quite complete yet (about 99% colonised) coz i'm impatient. This really worked very well for me. The cake i was talking about was colonising slowly for a week after the injection, then just stoped, two weeks later there was literally no new growth (it wasn't dry either), and after I did the "Vac. Trick" (tm) it started growing very fast, after two days it gained twice the mycelium that was on it before!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Vacuum Cleaner [Re: HARRY]
    #452676 - 11/09/01 09:31 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Nice, i've tried the same thing sometime ago, one did pretty well, the others two got cobweb mold at top wich i succesfully removed, you have allways a risc, remember that, anyway.... i allways fuck things up at fruiting stage.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #452693 - 11/09/01 10:00 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Sucking or blowing? I use a shop-vac, stuffed full of polyfill. (I've never used it on dirt) It clears the air in my terrarium in a New York minute.

OfflineHARRY
journeyman
Re: Vacuum Cleaner [Re: puscle]
    #452712 - 11/09/01 10:24 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

It was on suck!

I just had a thought: If you cover the other three holes with one of those Micron filters while sucking out of one hole then the air going in will be pretty clean, and you have the extra protection from the dry verm layer just in case!

(I feel very lucky, and slightly left out sice I've had no contams yet and it's my first growing experience)

Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
    #452764 - 11/09/01 11:12 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

hmm well yeah with the filter in place sounds like a good idea but otherwise i dunno sounds like a matter of time until you DO get a contaminant. but oh well still probably worth it..

but do you really think the verm layer helps at all when you do this? i doubt it, it was meant to keep particles from FALLING into the jar, not from being sucked in by a 200 mph wind ;)

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

OfflineHARRY
journeyman
Re: Vacuum Cleaner [Re: moxjet20]
    #452996 - 11/09/01 02:05 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

"but do you really think the verm layer helps at all when you do this? i doubt it, it was meant to keep particles from FALLING into the jar, not from being sucked in by a 200 mph wind ;) "

You're right actually, I think the verm helps a little at least, since the 200 mph winds would be sucking; the air coming back in would be much slower and over a slightly longer period, and I'm also relying on the cleanliness of the air in my flat...... normaly the air in a living environment is quite clean (unless you live with a couple of rotting donkeys or something), And I think it's worth it as I was going to chuck the jar away anyhow and now it's got a new will to live...........Also the other jars that I vacuumed this afternoon that were 99% covered are now fully colonised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It only took a couple of hours!! I'm quite excited!

Edited by HARRY (11/09/01 02:08 PM)

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

#453005 - 11/09/01 02:14 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

does anyone know where i can get a hep a filter relativly cheap? do a lot of people get contams when they case? i always hear people having problems with this. I'm guessing a hepa filter would eliminate that. should i case if i don't have aiflter? what precautions should i take?

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
    #453128 - 11/09/01 04:04 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

"normaly the air in a living environment is quite clean"

um.. compared to what? nature? not even close, the air outside your flat is WAY cleaner than inside. in an inclosed area where animals live is one of the worst areas in terms of sterility....

sorry i don't mean to sound arrogant or something but i think you are applying a little too much 'common sense' and not enough science

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag