Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Easy Microwave PF style tek.
    #4519862 - 08/10/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well i havent taken any pictures of what me and AFOAF have done and i probably never will but trust me on this tek, it works, tried 3 seperate times without one miss. okay all you need is some LBR and some WBS, vermiculite, a package of Ziplock twistlock containers and some water.

here is a step by step description of what i did.

1. add 1 part LBR and 1 part WBS then completely cover with water.
2. soak LBR and WBS in water for one hour.
3. simmer LBR and WBS in pan for 25 minutes.
4. strain water and put in bowl.
5. add same amount  of vermiculite as step 1 so the mix is divided into 1/3's.
6. mixed well with hands, add a little water if needed.
7. fill ziplock container to the top then tamp down a 1/2".
8. add dry vermiculite layer so its slightly overfull.
9. take ice pick or any sharp skinny object and heat it up on your stove element and melt 4 holes evenly on the lid.
10. add some water until theres about 1/4" of water on the bottom, maybe a little less.
11. twist lid on all the way, then loosen just enough so you can move the lid up and down a LITTLE bit.
12. nuke the containers on low for 25 mins.
13. nuke on high for 5 minutes, a little longer if the water isnt evaporated on the bottom.
14. take out and tighten lid all the way.
15. put in freezer till room temp.
16. Knock those bitches up :smile:

as i said none of the three we tried have contamed yet, one is completely colonized and the other two are at about 80% and 90%. hope you guys like it. i read the post on whether or not these containers could be PC'd and i decided to see if i could make the microwave work. a few good things are it hold about as much as a quart jar, and will sterilize quicker than the PC. ENJOY.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4519933 - 08/10/05 09:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

>and will sterilize quicker than the PC

A 30 dollar PC will do 10 quarts in jars in 1.5 hours, and 20 quarts in 2-2.5 hours if you use bags, You'd have to do one at a time to keep the time correct on the microwave tek, making just half a dozen quarts take almost 3 hours.

Not to say this doesnt have purpose...and I hope all this can be repeated by others, it will help many out who cant afford a PC, want to do a small grow, or a small set to test something...

Just a couple things, are there holes in the lid? Why tamp the substrate down, I think it would colonize faster if you left it loose, and especially if you left room to shake. Tyvek could be put up top, instead of the dry verm barrier.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4520002 - 08/10/05 09:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"A 30 dollar PC will do 10 quarts in jars in 1.5 hours, and 20 quarts in 2-2.5 hours if you use bags, You'd have to do one at a time to keep the time correct on the microwave tek, making just half a dozen quarts take almost 3 hours."

yeah youre right there, i was thinking of one container not bulk.

"Not to say this doesnt have purpose...and I hope all this can be repeated by others, it will help many out who cant afford a PC, want to do a small grow, or a small set to test something..."

yeah thats what i was aiming for when i wrote this all down, i know theres alot of people who cant afford a pc and this is a very cheap and effective way of getting results.

"Just a couple things, are there holes in the lid? Why tamp the substrate down, I think it would colonize faster if you left it loose, and especially if you left room to shake. Tyvek could be put up top, instead of the dry verm barrier. "

yes there are holes.
"9. take ice pick or any sharp skinny object and heat it up on your stove element and melt 4 holes evenly on the lid."

i tamped it down because thats how i learned to do PF jars so i just carried the same thing over to this. i thought it might slow it down by tamping but with the verm. and the rice and seed mix it was still pretty airy in the mix after it was finished. and yes you could use tyvek, i happen to have a gigantic bag of verm that i need to use so i use it every chance i get lol. oh and i forgot to note it took about 2 weeks to colonize fully. started off with a slow germination but once it started it really took off.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4520027 - 08/10/05 09:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, it should take less time for quarts to colonize, if they remain loose and shakable, and leaving that little room and putting the tyvek would probably help colonization speeds..missed the step with the holes too :smack: Looks ok though if it works and others can successfully replicate it..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4520054 - 08/10/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

to be honest i didnt think it would work, they didnt germinate for almost a week, but that could have been that they were wild TC strain spores, not a cultivated strain. and i was pretty lucky and it worked on the first try, the only reason i tried it was because i had some extra mix from my buddies jars we made, that same mix works well in jars also btw.

--------------------

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #4520235 - 08/10/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

um, i'd hold off on calling this one a 'tek' though, at least until you have fruits...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4522420 - 08/11/05 02:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

almost there, just cased with cow shit, well find out in less than a week.

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4537582 - 08/15/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MikeOLogical said:
um, i'd hold off on calling this one a 'tek' though, at least until you have fruits...

I agree. I have grown successfully on microwaved grains but am holding off on writing a "tek" until I am certain. The procedure noted is not detailed enough to replicate. microwave steilization has 2 main problems. Moisture loss and hot/cold spots.
You have not mentioned weights/volumes/power at all, just ratios. Microwave heating is pretty linear, i.e. will take twice as long to boil 500ml of water than it will 250ml. So the times you give will vary for people. Even 2 different 800W microwaves will probably vary in times. Shape, size, thickness of the containers will affect timing.

I still think a procedure can be drawn up but it will always require accurate weighing or measuring of water volumes to be added later. I have dried grains completely and added moisture in the form of an LC.
I have 2 active microwave grows in the growlog section at the moment.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: blackout]
    #4558702 - 08/20/05 11:07 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blackout said:
You have not mentioned weights/volumes/power at all, just ratios.
I still think a procedure can be drawn up but it will always require accurate weighing or measuring of water volumes to be added later.

13. nuke on high for 5 minutes, a little longer if the water isnt evaporated on the bottom.

and ratios work just fine, you dont need exact measurements when making your mix, the only difference between my ratio and your measurements is i usually have some mix left over that i dont use and throw away, which doesnt matter because its all incredibly cheap. i do agree that its not a tek yet but i dont think you can assume that it wont work well because its a ratio, ratios can be done the exact same way every time without much difference. and you are right on microwaves being different, THAT is what i think is the biggest problem with this becomming a tek, how much different can HI and LOW settings be on different microwaves?

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4569759 - 08/23/05 08:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:

The water bit is most important. I microwaved wheat for 2 hours yesterday, it was 1.25kg dry weight. A smaller jar would have been bone dry in that time. I now am beginning to think larger substrates may work better in the microwave due to more even heating. It also allows for a regular cheap kitchen scales to be used to calculate the correct water ratios. Only 250ml of water was boiled off over 2 hours on low.

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
i do agree that its not a tek yet but i dont think you can assume that it wont work well because its a ratio

ratios are fine, and once you get to know your microwave you will know how long to put a jar of a certain volume in for. Moisture loss and hot spots are the key to microwave sterilization. Hot spots are reduced by shaking and heating at lower powers. The only way I see moisture loss being calcualted is with weighing or drying the grain out fully, then adding back a measured amount of water (I have had success with both methods, drying grain can be a fire hazard though)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
how much different can HI and LOW settings be on different microwaves?

Depends on manufacturers, I would guess that the lowest setting on a 1200W microwave would be quite similar to low on a 600W microwave by the same manufacturer. I know my on works a on/off function to regulate power, i.e. 10 seconds off, 4 seconds on. More expensive microwaves will have continuous reduced power.

I wrapped my 1.25kg jar in a large blanket and it is still quite warm 24hrs later.

Offlinestankness
BeaST
 User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: blackout]
    #4635574 - 09/08/05 08:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I WANNA SEE THEM FRUITS!

--------------------
Attention Floridian shroomers! Check out this site!

Gainesville Pyilocybin Society

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Loc: groin
Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: stankness]
    #4654136 - 09/13/05 08:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

How did this turn out??

Im going to try some for myslef today!!

--------------------
Multiplied

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy Microwave PF style tek. [Re: Dickhead]
    #4654143 - 09/13/05 08:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Heres my active microwave grow log if you are interested. First flush at the moment
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4493850/an/0/page/0

Edited by blackout (09/13/05 08:55 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract